Boeing - 100 years of great airplanes! | FerrariChat

Boeing - 100 years of great airplanes!

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Gatorrari, Jul 13, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I suppose I should have let Bob Parks start this thread, since he spent a lot more time at Boeing than I did, but I did my share (admittedly, only working at Boeing but never for Boeing - I'll explain that if anyone wonders) and I honestly couldn't wait any longer.

Friday, July 15 is the official date of Boeing's centennial. I've made plenty of flights on Boeing jets since the early '60s; in fact I've flown every one of the 7X7 series except the 787, and I know that will happen in time. Add in the Douglas jets (which are now part of Boeing's heritage) and I think that makes up at least 90% of all the airline flights I've ever taken.

This would be a very different world, I think, if William Allen and company hadn't taken the gamble in the early '50s to go big into commercial jetliners. Add in the great bombers, from the B-17 thru the B-52, and that's quite a history.

There's a lot more on Boeing's centennial webpage, which I've only just begun exploring. Here's to another 100 years of great airplanes!

Boeing: The Centennial

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    If it is not Boeing, I am not going.

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I worked in Everett Washington for a year in the 747 plant. I was working for Walter Dorwin Teague who were the Industrial Design consultants for all Boeing plane interiors and external graphics. This was around 1979 and my first job out of college. I worked on custom aircraft interiors, mainly for Middle Eastern sheiks. We did all our drawings then in pencil on vellum paper. Boeing only like things that were on vellum and in black and white so they could make blue prints.

I used to walk through the 747 assembly plant during lunch. I would see Air Force one fly in for repairs and testing from my window.

I had a badge (don't ask me why) that allowed me to go anywhere in the factory. So, one day, I went inside a 747 cockpit while it was being wired. That was pretty cool.

I saw wooden mock ups of the 747 assembly that they used for the engineering of the first plane. I saw the test rigs that pulled the wings up and down until breaking.

One day I got a call to go seem some engineer for some reason that I never figured out. So, I had to go to this engineering building and find him. I get to the building and floor. I open the door.

What I saw appeared to me to be an endless sea of drafting tables in perfect rows until the horizon.

Today I've flown most of my 3 million flying miles on a 747. My first flight overseas was LA to Tokyo on a 747 in 1981. Today I just booked 2 more flights to Asia -- both on 747.

Boeing has always had a special place in my heart. Maybe it was my love of the B17 that I made a model kit of as a kid. Maybe it was because they made the 707 that I got to walk on once as a kid. Maybe it was the first 747 I saw land at an airport as a teenager.

Whatever it was, Boeing has made, and is still making, some of the best planes in the sky. I love the Dreamliner going long haul. Last year I did LA to Melbornne non- stop --15 hours and 45 minutes -- in coach. Didn't bother me a bit.

So congratulations Boeing for your 100th birthday from one of your fans!

4. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Thank you for sharing these great events. I am a big Boeing fan since i saw for a the very first time a B747 200 (my favourite version) in the middle of nineties.. Since then i fell in love with the Jumbo Jet!

Congratulations Boeing!

5. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Congratulations Boeing...The company has made a lot of great airplanes. The B29/B50, B52, 707 and 747 have to be the most important so far. I love the 7478F the best. Amazing how big and quiet it is on takeoff and landing, and it still can carry more freight than anything else with 4 engines. When Boeing makes the 777X10 that will really show who is still the greatest commercial airplane maker in the world bar none(goodbye A380)!!

6. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

I went on the site looking for a link to Bob's paintings from the exhibit he just put together.

Didn't find them.

HB Boeing.

7. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    There probably isn't a link on the Boeing site (or Museum site).
    This one will take you directly,
    Most of the aircraft on display are here.
    Aviation Artwork ? ParkzArt

8. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    WOW. Fantastic work.

9. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #9 Gatorrari, Jul 15, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Great work, Bob! That Pan Am 707 is undoubtedly one that I flew on at some point during my trips from IDL/JFK to SJU during the '60s.

11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- I had forgotten you did Udet's SSW D.III. Really nice painting. Jim Dietz did a painting for me with his SSW and Fokker D.VIIF.

12. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #12 Peloton25, Jul 16, 2016
    Friday was also the anniversary of the first flight for the 367-80 back in 1954.

It's on permanent display at the Udvar-Hazy extension of the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum in Chantilly, VA just beyond the runways at Dulles if you're ever in the neighborhood.

>8^)
    ER
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    The -80 as it is in the museum doesn't have the original wing or engine nacelles and there is so much titanium structure left over from testing that they had to but almost 2000 pounds of ballast in the nose.

14. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Thanks, Taz. That painting was commissioned by Ernie Gann's late son way back in 1973. I was still trying to learn to paint and trying to paint with gouache at that time and it was a tough learning process. That scenario in the painting could never have happened with Udet getting jumped by a Camel because his plane and skill probably would have put the other way around.

15. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Thanks, Jim. That profile presents the first Pan Am 707-121, N707PA and the first production 707.

16. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- I was not going to mention that by that time Udet was a pretty tough customer. Even a 160 hp Gnome or 150 hp BR2 powered Camel was not much of a match for a SSW D.III or D.IV.

17. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I'm not sure I ever flew N707PA, but I do remember one flight on its sister ship, N711PA, which took place from SJU to JFK on Thanksgiving Day in 1965. What made that remarkable was the aircraft's name - what more appropriate plane to fly on Thanksgiving Day than - Jet Clipper Mayflower? :)

18. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    #18 Bob Parks, Jul 17, 2016
    I'll try to post some shots that we took during the set up of the display.

19. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    #19 Bob Parks, Jul 17, 2016
  20. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    #20 Bob Parks, Jul 17, 2016
  21. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Thank you so much Bob...

Wonderful.

You're looking pretty good too!

22. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I think that it's appropriate that they put the paintings in the Red Barn. I hope to see them during my one-day stay in Seattle next month.

23. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Jim, let me know when you will be here and Spasso and I will try to meet you. The exhibit will be up until 09-10-16 and then it will travel. Where, I don't know. Everything in the display is available for purchase except the B&W and I DO hope that somebody purchases something. I have been asked to give a talk at the Harbor Pointe PD facility to tell about my 40 plus years at the Kite Factory and other points in the long life of a Fossil. It is scheduled for 1 hour but has an open end that might let it run for two. From what I noticed in the briefing, the younger folks were wide-eyed at how we deigned and built jets in the old days..."You drew the whole thing BY HAND! NO COMPUTERS!" Slide rules, calculators, and hands and eyes will be discussed.

24. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    #24 Gatorrari, Aug 23, 2016
    I visited the Museum of Flight on Saturday and particularly enjoyed the Boeing 100 exhibit featuring Bob Parks' artworks. Bob had wanted to join me, but he wasn't feeling well, but we still did have a nice talk on the phone.

If you can get to Seattle before the exhibition closes, do it! The Red Barn is a treasure (heck, I just love the way the place smells!) and it is even better right now.

25. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- Hope you are doing better.