Question about if a certain job exists in aviation | FerrariChat

Question about if a certain job exists in aviation

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Tim1137, Jul 14, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tim1137

Tim1137 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2011
    Providence - Boston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I have a pretty severe flying phobia, which has always kept me very interested in aviation, in terms of repairs, maintenance, and the mechanical aspects of commercial airplanes. I suppose I spend time researching about this type of stuff to try and justify to myself how mechanically safe commercial airplanes are.

Anyways, my daily job is a service advisor at a new car dealership. Now my question is, does such a job exist in the commercial airplane industry? I spent a good portion of yesterday at my desk researching the A/B/C/D services that commercial airlines go through, and it got me thinking... if a C and D service takes tens of thousands of labor hours, someone has to do that paperwork right? Someone has to contact a representative at American Airlines, or Jet Blue and get authorization for the X millions of dollars needed to perform the maintenance, and get approval for unscheduled repairs right? Who completes the paperwork and draws up the bill to collect payment?

Does such a job exist? It must.

2. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I don't know about commercial aircraft service (although they do a combination of in house and contracted maintenance), but yes, such jobs exist. For sure they exist in business aviation-- in fact, I'm dealing with a service center sales rep right now.

I think most of those guys have A&P certificates, and go from there. You certainly need a good understanding of the requirements and processes in place.

3. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Every airline will have some sort of maintenance planning department. Many, if not most, airlines contract out a lot (or all) of maintenance to MRO's (maintenance/repair/overhaul) companies. MRO's will have planning staff as well. All maintenance departments will have a close relationship with the aircraft/engine/avionics manufacturer service departments. Then they all have oversight by the FAA. Did someone mention paperwork?:rolleyes:

4. Tim1137

Tim1137 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2011
    Providence - Boston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Thanks guys! Does anyone know the name of any of these places? I've been trying google but I keep coming up with smaller aircraft repair facilities.

5. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Google 'aircraft MRO US'

6. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Do you think those guys have A&P certificates? Not because it's required, but just as a career path sort of thing.

7. chopperdr

chopperdr Formula Junior

May 10, 2009
    oceanside/vancouver
    Full Name:
    cal meeker
  8. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Maybe some, but generally not. Remember an A&P really doesn't have that much authority unless they have an IA delegation. Also consider all the certification documents and general FAA required paperwork that people at Boeing perform. Somewhere along the chain of command there is a signature of an authorized person, but all the legwork is done by someone else.

9. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I know it's not required, but I was more wondering if those guys came from a wrench turning, aircraft maintenance background.

10. severtecher

severtecher Karting

May 1, 2004
    Tucson AZ USA
    Full Name:
    Kevin Fox
    An A&P goes a long way in most airplane jobs. Lots of pilots get A&P licenses just to get one up on guys who do not.
    I spent 1 year in college Aero Engineering program and asked a professor (PhD) what his best job was. He said he was a Field Service rep for Boeing for years. i asked if you needed a masters or bachelors degree. He said they mainly wanted experienced A&P's.
    Just being married the year before i thought a year in an A&P school seemed better than four years and no practical experience. I got out of school, and in 5 years was a Field Service rep for the Garrett Turbine Eng Co. Great job if you like traveling the world, especially if you're single. Did not last long since my wife got pregnant and they were reluctant to ship me over seas.One plan was to live in Istres, France on the
    Riveria. I chose family over money (dumbass). My wife became an attorney and I just worked as a mechanic. Had fun and little stress. Think about mechanics school.

11. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    I know a guy who has a job similar to what you are looking for. His job title at a private jet charter and plane management company, he is the Technical and Compliance Programs Coordinator. He basically manages all the maintenance of their charter fleet. They also manage planes for businesses who don't want the hassle of having a full time flight department but want a plane and owners who don't fly.

12. FLORIDAsnakeEyes

FLORIDAsnakeEyes Formula 3

Jul 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    OC
    Or you can get into the defense side, ISR. Google ISR..

13. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

Also any industry associated with RCM (Reliability Centered Maintenance) which are many all have similar positions, processes, procedures...