B-29 Restored to flying status first flight | FerrariChat

B-29 Restored to flying status first flight

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by CarbBoxer, Jul 17, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CarbBoxer

CarbBoxer Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2008
    Houston
    Full Name:
    PW
  2. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

#2 Tcar, Jul 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  3. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
    Pretty awesome. 16 years for a proper resto dang. That makes the one they tried to fix and fly off the glacier in 1995 seem that much more insane.

4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Good for them! Now "Fifi" has company. I always feel nervous when there's only one flyable example, and now that's not an issue. And on Boeing's centennial weekend as well!

Here's a shorter clip of the first flight:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSRkOd2OPCY[/ame]

5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I got a good look at FiFi last year and checked out the newer R-3350's they are using and figured that they have saved close to or more than 1000 pounds by eliminating the turbos and associated structure, ducting, and controls. I recall that the first B-29 that I saw flying over in 1944 had an engine on fire. The second one I saw was coming into Langley Field with an engines on fire and the third one was making an emergency landing at Drew Field with an engine fire as I was walking out to the main gate with my honorable discharge in hand .

6. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Bob,

They've built up custom 3350s specifically for FiFi and Doc to address the reliability issues. To me though, the beauty is in Doc's airframe - polished!!

Regards,

Art S.

7. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I agree. She looks great. Every time I see the word FiFi I crack up at the old WW2 vet that told one of FiFi's crew that he used to see a lot of those F-1- F1's on Saipan.

8. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    When I had my flight FiFi in 1992 during the 50th anniversary celebration they were delayed for takeoff for some reason. It was a hot day and engine temps were rapidly rising. The airplane still had the older R-3350's. Tom Cloyd, the pilot, told the tower that the had no more than 5 minutes or they would cancel the flight. In a short time they approved the takeoff and we were airborne. I rode in the bomb aimer's position and after cruise altitude I was called back to the flight engineer's position where I could gaze at the P-51," Hun Hunter", not 30 yards off and below the starboard wing. Sad, too, because I didn't have a camera. On final and fully dirty, I couldn't believe the wrestling match that Cloyd had to keep the airplane on track. I know that once the B-29, like the B-17, was cleaned up and trimmed it was like it was on rails but full flaps and landing gear down made the airplane a real beast. I remembered being told how bad they churned up the air behind them.

9. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    I'm reminded of the tragic end to the last B29 restoration attempt. So glad to see a happy ending this time.

wouldn't want to polish that thing, what a project!

10. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Ross,

Key Bird was a crazy, high risk, salvage attempt, not a restoration. Which is unfortunate, since, as found, Key Bird was actually in much better shape than Doc.

Regards,

Art S.

PS. If you have cubic dollars, there are a few B-29 restoration projects floating around and available for private ownership.

11. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

It was Kee Bird. (Need to spell it correctly if you're going to search).
    There are several videos of the process and fire.

Was salvage prior to a future restoration.

12. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    How you keep a project going for 16 years is a story in itself.

What a beautiful plane that can now been seen in in flight as a glorious part of American history.

13. dmaxx3500

dmaxx3500 Formula 3

Jul 19, 2008
    was that the one that hard landed in a corn field and then started on fire and the fire trucks couldn't get to it in il.

sorry that was ''liberty bell'' flying out of il

14. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
    Ran out of fuel and crash landed in the middle of nowhere on a Greenland glacier in 1947. The plane sat there for 50 years until some crazy mofo's installed new engines/props/etc and tried to fly it out of there.

Did not end well. Heartbreaking to watch.

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1u4YBwjQTds[/ame]

15. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    That rescue effort did not end well because of the dim bulb who strapped an open drum of gasoline next to the APU that was running while they were trying to taxi over very rough surface of snow and ice. The retrieval effort would probably have been a success if a modicum of care had been used instead of carelessness.

16. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech
    I think that's the first time I've seen a restoration project end up in worse shape than the airframe they started with.