Interview w Jerry Yellin, WW2 Fighter pilot... | FerrariChat

Interview w Jerry Yellin, WW2 Fighter pilot...

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by NYC Fred, Jul 18, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
  2. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
    Dang. 91 yo and that guy is as sharp as a tack. Very inspiring thanks for posting.

3. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I have known many men like Jerry Yellin, some when I was in and some after the war. These men are why I cannot and never will classify myself as a WW2 vet. The younger people now have no idea what greatness was done in WW2, indeed, some don't even know when it started.

4. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

Yes he is very sharp..ive had the fortune to hang out with some well known great WW2 pilots/aces, over the years, now their minds are going as they age..sad the journey is most important in life..

5. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    I watched another program about him. Phillip SchlambergKnew he wouldn't come back. I feel bad for him and his family.

6. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    Great video! Thank you. How did the manage 8 hours in a P51? How did it carry enough fuel, those birds must drink fuel like mad. Never mind being in that seat for 8 hours.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

7. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

They carried drop tanks.

Easier to do that when you're 19 years old than now.

8. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Here's an article and a pic of Yellin in the cockpit after flying a P-51 at 90 YO.

Letter From Aviation History?September 2014 | HistoryNet

9. f4udriver

f4udriver Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    Central Illinois
    Full Name:
    Mike G
    I have had the honor of knowing Jerry for the last 20 years. He has boundless energy and is an "idea man", having started the spirit of 45 event.

I had the privilege of flying a 2 ship for display to his hometown airport in Iowa at the time where he was speaking to a class of school children. I remember getting photos of him in the cockpit of my P-51 but I have to fine them.

The P-51 holds 180 gallons internally, another 53 (if I remember correctly) in the fuselage tank, and 2, 75 gallon drop tanks.

Down low around 10,000 feet the Mustang typically burns 65 gph, but up high they would be down to 40 to 45 gph.

I can tell you that after just an hour and a half you are fatigued and there is no feeling left in your seat. And that is just fun flying. At altitude it would be incredibly cold and with no pressurization even more uncomfortable. When you have the gear down if you look down you can see the ground through openings in between panels, so i would bet the cold would be worse then most of us have ever experienced.

And then after 8 hours of flying and critically low on fuel you may have to shoot an approach in bad weather. Bob Frisch who flew Mustang's in Europe once told me that he was letting down and an apple tree flashed by his wing at the same height he was.

Oh and then you get to do all of that again the next day, with fresh losses of friends on your mind, and people shooting at you. And you are 20 years old.

If you get a chance read Jerry's book, he did a great job on that as well.

10. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Thanks for the write up. Those guys where real men.

Just read your profile man do you have some cool toys! Ever come to Triple Tree? I bet you know Pat Hartness? He just purchased a P-51.

QUOTE=f4udriver;144811851]I have had the honor of knowing Jerry for the last 20 years. He has boundless energy and is an "idea man", having started the spirit of 45 event.

I had the privilege of flying a 2 ship for display to his hometown airport in Iowa at the time where he was speaking to a class of school children. I remember getting photos of him in the cockpit of my P-51 but I have to fine them.

The P-51 holds 180 gallons internally, another 53 (if I remember correctly) in the fuselage tank, and 2, 75 gallon drop tanks.

Down low around 10,000 feet the Mustang typically burns 65 gph, but up high they would be down to 40 to 45 gph.

I can tell you that after just an hour and a half you are fatigued and there is no feeling left in your seat. And that is just fun flying. At altitude it would be incredibly cold and with no pressurization even more uncomfortable. When you have the gear down if you look down you can see the ground through openings in between panels, so i would bet the cold would be worse then most of us have ever experienced.

And then after 8 hours of flying and critically low on fuel you may have to shoot an approach in bad weather. Bob Frisch who flew Mustang's in Europe once told me that he was letting down and an apple tree flashed by his wing at the same height he was.

Oh and then you get to do all of that again the next day, with fresh losses of friends on your mind, and people shooting at you. And you are 20 years old.

If you get a chance read Jerry's book, he did a great job on that as well.[/QUOTE]