Thinking about going for my taildragger endorsement | FerrariChat

Thinking about going for my taildragger endorsement

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by rmani, Jul 19, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Hey guys,

I got my single engine vfr license a couple of years ago and have an itch to try something new. Ifr flight doesn't interest me that much and im working with a budget so ive been looking at learning to fly a tail dragger. I also hope to maybe buy a cheap one someday to do learn basic aeurobatic maneuvers and fly around my house (ive seen someone doing this but have no idea on the legality).

Taildraggers seem cool, different, and from what I've read cheap to operate and own, but I'd like opinions. What types of taildraggers are there besides piper cubs lol

Thanks!

2. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I own an American Champion Citabria. I like it because it can do it all-- go in to little strips in the middle of nowhere, and do a loop or a roll on the way there.

As taildraggers go, it's incredibly easy to fly-- yet it still will teach you the basics. They are a popular trainer, so it shouldn't be hard to find one to try.

American Champion Aircraft

3. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    it's an airplane, maintenance is the same for the same level of equipment, the clock and calendar keep on ticking until the bell rings and need replacement or certification

tail dragger does not imply it is capable of aerobatics... aerobatic aircraft systems are capable of operating over a full 3 axis without being affected

taking aerobatic lessons expands ones proficiency in piloting which leads to better safety through greater competence

4. sigar

sigar F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2005
    NorCal
    Get your instrument. It will make you such a safer pilot and open up a world of opportunities, literally. Then get the taildragger endorsement.

5. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    +1, Citabria are a great introduction to planes with the proper landing gear configuration. 7ECA was first taildragger I flew. Relatively docile taildragger. Flying a stick makes the whole flight experience seem more real, and it also just feels natural. Learning basic acro in a 7KCAB is also an experience. Took 2 hands for this then 17yo, 135lb weakling to perform a snap roll.

6. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Like Svetlana!

Start at about 4:00 for the real fun...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR76PfL2KRw

7. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Do it. Tailwheel will definitely improve your airmanship and basic aerobatic and spin training will not only do that, but make you more comfortable and confident. Lots of tailwheel aircraft out there, I personally have an RV-7 and learned on the Super D, the big brother to the Citabria (which spelled backwards is ....)

I agree IFR is also important, but like you I've had a hard time motivating, as I bet I'll have a hard time staying current and other than dealing with cloud layers on departure or arrival I have no, zero, nada interest in deliberately flying a small aircraft into clouds. I don't do storms.

8. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Thanks for the input guys. While many continue to recommend ifr ill never be able to stay current or afford all the hours necessary. Flying long distances isn't as economical or comfortable than just flying commercial. Perhaps if i win the lottery someday

9. sigar

sigar F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2005
    NorCal
    If your intention is to poke holes in the sky on a Sunday afternoon, yes taildragger is the way to go. If your intention is to travel for business or weekend getaways, etc., instrument will open up possibilities. Maybe I'm a nerd, but I really like(d) instrument training/currency.

10. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Sunday afternoons

I relate flying to my motorcycles. I enjoy them only when i dont have anywhere to be. :)

If i can ever afford a jet id absolutely want my instrument

11. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Just hold the stick all the way back when you touch the runway. Keep it next to your crown jewels.

12. Jacob Potts

Jacob Potts Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2008
    Pueblo, CO
    Full Name:
    Jacob Potts
  13. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I have been thinking about flying a tail dragger and my favorite for good training and fun for a thin dime would be the Piper PA-11 or a step up, the PA-18. The PA-11 is nimble, nicely balanced and will teach you how to fly by making you use ALL the controls to do what you have to do. With a 90 horse or a 115 up front , forward seating for the pilot, they are a great performing little airplane and loads of fun to fly.

14. Tim Wells

Tim Wells Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2009
    Dallas, GA
    Full Name:
    Tim Wells
    I second what Bob just said especially with a 90 or better spinning the prop. I learned in one with an 85 in it. In fact, just about everyone in the family learned in that same plane and still are. Great pea patch plane.

15. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Thinking about good little airplanes and the memory of my first flight on June 19, 1935 in an Aeronca C-3. A primitive little "bathtub' of an airplane with a two cylinder single ignition 36 hp Aeronca E-113 engine. It weighed 560 pounds and cruised at an astonishing 85mph. A beautiful example of good design that eliminated drag with a short streamlined landing gear, a wire braced wing, and a well designed wing. The fuselage design did away with a tall windshield by raising the centerline of thrust thus creating the deep "bathtub" nose that pretty much lowered the drag. i think that it was what the aeroguys called a high performance airplane . Very nice flying little bird but not one to do aerobatics in.

16. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    #16 cheesey, Aug 1, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
    it's about increasing one's skill set, there is NO being a nerd involved...failing to get an IFR rating has been the cause of many high time VFR pilots to get into trouble which they couldn't get out of...

IFR is not about flying in / into horrible weather, but rather getting caught in it when a good VFR day goes in the toilet. It is a skill set that no one should leave their airport environment without... it makes possible marginal VFR situations possible when the weather changes against VFR, especially in route when weather can close in around...

IFR weather is not like a train moving through an area or a frontal system which can be readily tracked... IFR conditions can be turned on and off like switching on a light, like fog which forms when temperature and dew point get within 3 degrees of each other... one can take off in VFR and a minute later not see the airport