"Size 36" The first public movie film with details of the B-36 "PEACEMAKER" | FerrariChat

"Size 36" The first public movie film with details of the B-36 "PEACEMAKER"

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Juan-Manuel Fantango, Jul 20, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Very cool video, just stumbled across it. This must have been awesome, and love the video style and language. I think we lost something...

https://youtu.be/1V9CWQNZRF8

2. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Very cool -- and check out what else they recommend on the B-36 page: an introduction to the B-58

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnwZLk7s6PI[/ame]

3. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #3 Juan-Manuel Fantango, Jul 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
    very cool. I was surprised how cool the guns were on the 36. Check this out. Also was surprised that it took 15 crewmen.

https://youtu.be/1V9CWQNZRF8?t=201

Thanks for the video on the Hustler. Those great men in that video are either dead or very old by now. I was struck by the their introduction on film, name, age, married with 4, 2, or one child. Today it would be partnered, married to three, or waiting for gender reassignment.

4. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

15 men is all???... it's darn near as big as a city block.

I grew up right under the end of a runway at Kirtland AFB in Albuquerque.
    B-36's landed right over our house. Pictures fell off the walls, cabinet doors flew open, etc. as it flew over. LOUD!

One can't imagine how big they were.

5. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Nice display of a B-36 at the Strategic Air Command museum just outside of Omaha. The plane sat outside for a long time so it's a little rough but it is now inside and I think they're going to be doing some work on it.

6. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Yes, I saw the SAC B-36 a couple years ago...

I wonder if that one flew over my house when I was a kid.

7. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Back then, they had to stay firmly in the closet!

It always staggers me to see how fast technology advances with aircraft. The B-36 first flew one year after WW2 ended and only eleven years separates it from the first flight of the B-17, and look at the differences: size, range, crew, nuclear payload, remote controlled gun turrets that lock on to targets, etc. Staggering.

But even more amazing is the relatively short life it had. The B-52 surpassed it only a few years later.

8. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The B-36 was quite a step forward. To think that the B-29 was initially classified as a "very heavy" bomber (which it was, relative to the B-17s and B-24s that already carried the "heavy" moniker), and just a few years later found itself demoted to "medium" bomber!

I'm sorry that I'm not old enough to have seen the 36 fly. At least we have "Strategic Air Command"!

9. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Only about 30 years from the Wright Flyer to the B-17, 11 to the B-36, and another 6 years to the B-52

... and another 17 years until we landed on the Moon.

I had no idea about those guns on the B-36... pretty advanced.

Time flies...

My grandmother was born before there were ANY motorcars and lived to see men on the Moon.

10. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    The display at the Strategic Air Command museum listed the max t/o weigh around 400,000 lbs which is about what the 767 weighed that I flew from Shanghai to Seattle last week.

11. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

About half of a MTOW of a current 747.

12. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

13. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    During the 1950's, I believe a hot B-36 had a 'special item' suddenly pop out of it's belly while on final to Kirtland ?

14. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Yes, there was that little 'accident' in '57...

Hydrogen bomb just fell out. 42,000 pounds. The conventional explosive trigger exploded but not the weapon obviously. Still left a 20 foot deep crater about 2 miles from our house on vacant land.

Not made public until the 80's.

15. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Wow, that could have turned out much worse!

16. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Just looked it up... it was a Monday.

I would have been in school about a couple miles from the drop.

16 kilotons.

17. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Jimmy Stewart in Strategic Air Command.

I loved this movie as a kid!

u2fast likes this.
  18. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

That's probably the best B-36 movie. I saw it a couple years ago, the library had it.

19. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    megatons ?

The HOT New Mexico Hatch Chili would have arrived before August. :D

20. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Yup, those big boys were so inaccurate, they needed megatons to ensure target destruction. Plus deterrence then was MAD, so they were city killers and not really military target type of weapons like those used later.

21. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Yes, Megatons... sorry, I was just reading about the Hiroshima bomb that was 16 kilotons.

I think the area where it fell is the UNM golf course now...

22. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I knew the flight engineer of "Dauntless Dottie" crew who was lead on the first raid on Tokyo. He told me that every one of their bombs ended up in Tokyo Bay. They didn't know why until they figured out the Jet Stream and wind shear in that area.

23. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- Differential ballistic winds were causing errors up to 1500' on BUFF drops in Desert Storm. We worked up a LIDAR differential wind sensor for the B-52 that measured aerosol velocities from the surface to the ground and took out all the DBW errors. Tested, worked great, but never implemented. Would not have worked in IFR conditions, obviously. Same for the AC-130Q, where they would not have needed a wind ranging round but would have had first shot capability. Same end result. For the BUFF, JDAM and other PGMs solved the issue.

The Jet Stream over Japan had 3-4 times the wind velocities we saw in Desert Storm, so errors up to a nautical mile (6076.1') were easily believable. The bomb sights they were using worked like a drift meter, and took out wind errors assuming surface winds were identical to winds at 25-35,000', obviously not true. My F-111s had a DBW wind correction you could enter, but PGMs basically made the capability mostly superfluous.

24. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Thanks, Terry. Good info.

25. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Yes, thanks...

What was the drop altitude over Tokyo, do you know?

For some reason (probably the movie) I thought they were flying very low.