What no Oshkosh thread leaving in 15 minutes | FerrariChat

What no Oshkosh thread leaving in 15 minutes

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by f4udriver, Jul 24, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. f4udriver

f4udriver Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    Central Illinois
    Full Name:
    Mike G
    Anybody going look me up
    I will be in a blue and white T-34 N634M

44th year in a row

Mike

2. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I was there 33 years ago, so I must have seen you up in the air!

3. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Cheers Mike have a great event.. wish I could go and say hello again this year.. maybe next!

I see there is a Martin Mars at the seaplane base.. when I was in a food queue at the base last year chatted with others to pass the time and they said every year is different with something new and unique not there the year before.. they were right!

4. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Please provide updates and lots of pics!

5. f4udriver

f4udriver Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    Central Illinois
    Full Name:
    Mike G
    #5 f4udriver, Aug 2, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

So was the Mars there?

7. f4udriver

f4udriver Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    Central Illinois
    Full Name:
    Mike G
    #7 f4udriver, Aug 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Mars was damaged when it hit a log on the lake
    Sorry for the cell phone pictures after being there so many years I don't take the good camera anymore.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Ouch.

Do they routinely do a fly-by to check for debris, logs before setting down.

I know some things will be just below the surface and not really visible.

9. f4udriver

f4udriver Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    Central Illinois
    Full Name:
    Mike G
    Yes they always fly by first but they had an engine problem. The press said it was an emergency landing. But they do have 4 engines, I think only one had a problem. But you never know they might of had a fire warning. Anyway they hit something and it tore a 3 inch hole in the hull. We tried to get close by boat but the police boat stopped us from getting close.

10. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    A great show. But started skipping it the last few years. I like modern planes, but most can see all the time. I love seeing the WWII war birds, but its not worth the travel for just that.

A uncle on my mothers side, was in the forestry industry. Started out as a logger in the 1970's. The biggest industry in British Columbia was the forest industry. All the logging companies basically fought forest fires to protect their tree's and their living. So in the summer my uncle was on call to fight forest fires. In the 1980's and my teen years, my uncle took me and my brothers up to the camps set up for the firefighters. By the late 1980's, he became management at Canfor, biggest forestry company in BC. Anyway, Canfor's head office is on the Fraser River in Vancouver. Summer the Martin Mars was often at their docks. Net I've seen fire bombers in live action and up close docked.

11. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I've flown in there twice. My neighbor is still gone on his trip to OSH in his Cirrus.

Thanks for picts.

12. dmaxx3500

dmaxx3500 Formula 3

Jul 19, 2008
    last time I was there ,I missed a chance to ride in the ''concorde'',it was $300-$400? to get a ride up and down lake Michigan,so it was a long time ago in a land far-far away

I hope to get to nthe ''Chicago air and water show '' in august 20,21, this year