777 fire at Dubai | FerrariChat

777 fire at Dubai

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by mike01606, Aug 3, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    #1 mike01606, Aug 3, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  2. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    From the video, looks like a gear-up landing. Very difficult to make that end well. Good job by the crew getting everyone off quickly and safely!

3. Tim1137

Tim1137 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2011
    Providence - Boston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Don't they have fail safes for the landing gear mechanisms?

4. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    #4 GuyIncognito, Aug 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    For all three not to come down is strange. I wonder if someone made a bad mistake? They say they aborted the landing but ended up landing anyway.

6. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    Weather reported wind shear at the time.

Just speculation at this point-

Hard landing / wind shear / long landing / decided to go around - gear up and then aircraft sank maybe additional wind shear or poor airmanship

This time gear up landing and resulting fire and full stop.

7. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    AvHerald is reporting that the aircraft was attempting a go around and had retracted thr gear and then lost altitude and flopped down onto the runway.

8. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    #8 joker57676, Aug 3, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
    Not uncommon the stall on a go-around attempt if the pilot retracts the flaps too quickly or beyond the T/O setting. Retract without sufficient airspeed, the wings immediately lose the amount of lift necessary to fly to the plane, and it sinks right back down to earth.

Don't know if that is what happened, but it is a somewhat common mistake.

Mark

9. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Some reports are stating the "plane came down very hard on its tail". Sounds like a stall could be a strong possibility.

10. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    The engines take time to spool up, so if he was almost over the threshold in the very hot temps with possible wind shear in the area the aircraft won't climb for a few seconds. If he retracted his gear that might have been a bad move...We have to wait and see if there were other problems with the aircraft that caused the late abort.

11. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    If the report is accurate that he started a go-around and retracted the gear too soon and then settled on to the runway is what happened to a 707 in 1960. It looks like that's what happened here according to Av Herald. A landing hard enough to collapse all three wheels is called a crash.

12. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Apparently it was 49 degrees C! And also, from what I understand, the 777-300 is not the best performer. So it could make (and did) a go-around pretty challenging.

13. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech

First I have heard that ! I've read they have to be carful taxing because the aircraft is so long, but doesn't the -300 have the most powerful engines ever fitted to a passenger aircraft, (115,000lbs thrust each ??) sure the high temps will degrade that, but aircraft should be pretty light at this point.

From AV Herald " Upon contacting tower tower reminded the crew of lowering the gear and cleared the aircraft to land"

Pretty interesting statement ?

14. Nate2046

Nate2046 Rookie

Oct 15, 2006
    The times that I've operated AMC flights into bases the controllers always add 'confirm wheels down' as part of the landing clearance. DXB has lots of expat controllers in the tower, maybe he/she is ex-military and still does it out of habit? METAR I saw indicated wind shear with a 12 knot headwind switching to a 15 knot tailwind. That would, obviously, be a fairly impactful shear when you're low, slow, and have the power back.

15. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian

I get the same wheels down check out of country or when going into a military base stateside. I dont know it the 777 is different from the other aircraft Ive flown but I was always taught: Go around- full power- pitch up- flaps TO/Go around- positive rate gear up etc.

16. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    Combine that with the shear and maybe not perfect piloting and boom.

The 777 is having some bad luck all of a sudden these last few years... And almost none of it is related to the plane itself.

It does show the true genius of the design when everyone can walk away from that.

17. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    That airplane was the last thing on which I worked before leaving my post there. A lot of good work went in to that airplane and it's one of the best things that Boeing did. 757 is a good one and the chubby little lady, 767, is showing how good it is, too.

18. gday

gday Formula 3

Sep 10, 2004
    CA, USA - NSW, AUS
    Full Name:
    Mick
    Video from inside the cabin. Guess its important to grab your overhead luggage on the way out:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUg7zOBB3Ig[/ame]

Graphical ATC of the incident:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94VPOXc2bEM

-mick

19. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech
  20. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Passenger onboard the flight says no emergency was announced before the aircraft made a hard landing as the pilot seemed to try and pull the plane back up....Sounds like pilot error so far..Maybe the controller saw them on short final and then made that statement "don't forget to lower your LG"

Emirates plane catches fire at Dubai International Airport

21. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Most likely, it was a combination of a fatigued crew, very poor aircraft performance (much worse than they would have seen during recurrent in the simulator), and gusty conditions.

Sometimes all the holes just line up...

22. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    This is the first I've seen on this. Typical go around for Boeing during windshear is to not touch the gear.

23. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

From the ATC, it sounds like ATC told the plane to 'go around'.

24. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    They sure did...that really reinforces our theory that it was an unintentional gear up landing. ATC would likely never notice a meteorological event on short final, but they would likely eventually notice no gear, prompting the hurried go around call on short final.

If this is the case, WTF! One dead firefighter is too many.

25. Aedo

Aedo F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2006
    Perth
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I've seen a photo from the front now and the front gear is down so what does that mean to the "gear up" theory?