Southwest has an interesting engine failure | FerrariChat

Southwest has an interesting engine failure

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by MarkPDX, Aug 27, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Hope the parts didn't hurt anyone on the ground...yikes.

Check out at the divot between the two windows...holy cow I sometimes sit in that row!

3. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    *makes note never to sit directly across from rotating props or other fast moving bits of metal*

4. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    #5 GrigioGuy, Aug 27, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Always a good practice to avoid planes of rotation

6. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    It'll buff right out!

SV

7. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    #8 beast, Aug 27, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
    Looks like a cowl failure as the fan is still intact. I would imagine that a good bit of trim had to be dialed in with all that drag induced by the missing cowl parts.

Also looks like a repair was made judging by the silver patch on the second photo is not zinc chromate green like the rest.

8. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    or slightly forward of them

9. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    #10 MarkPDX, Aug 27, 2016
  10. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Om not a 73 guy, but that looks like two red secure tabs in the 'fly away' mode. I also see an access port flapping in the wind.

With any sort of violent departure it prolly knocked them loose. But it sure would be a bummer if MX didnt secure things properly.

11. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    It's interesting in that the chunk that hit the fuselage didn't seem to come out of the engine, but if it was a fan blade or something thrown by the fan it had to go forward, out of the now broken off inlet and then slung out with enough force to hit the fuselage.

We once had a fan "stub" stage that lost a blade and it didn't go down the core of the engine. The blade broke off, went forward, around the splitter, and down the fan duct, and it nicked and afterburner spray ring on the way out.

You would think, that because this supercharing fan stage was down in the core path that it would have gone down the core, but it didn't, it went forward and then out.

High speed rotating airfoils have a lot of force on them, both aerodynamic and centrifugal, and it's hard sometimes to predict where they're going to go if they get liberated.

12. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    That's because you're speaking of compressor stages...when parts are liberated they may go to low pressure areas rather than being forced as air is through the subsequent stages of compression. That's a very interesting anecdote though. My opinion is that the ding in the fuselage and wing root are from the cowl parts "flying" outward as it came apart and not from any centripetal effect related to the motor itself.

13. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The world today

A plane loses an engine and people immediately take selfies to post on Facebook.

"Here I am with my oxygen mask on! Wish us luck!"

14. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    And, there's always some ******* videoing himself narrating the events as they transpire.

Mark

15. Christian Sasfai

Dec 31, 2012
    Heath, Texas
    Full Name:
    Christian Sasfai
    I had a small convex mirror (mounted on the inboard side of one engine cowling so you can see the landing gear) 'depart' my aircraft in flight and I was amazed that it didn't appear to touch the wing but left a nice healthy ding on the side of the fuselage about 10 or 15 feet back from where it was mounted. I guess it just followed the airflow over the wing until it got to the trailing edge then it was free to smack into the airplane.

16. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Apparently they did lose a fan blade, which impacted the fuselage, and the resulting vibration took the cowl off.

17. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    It makes you wonder if the cowling has failed due to a crack and broken off, as the 1st stage compressor blades appears to be intact from the limited view of the pic. I saw a demo of a rolls royce trent engine being tested on the tv, used a bird carcus and threw it in at full power. Bit of a mess but the containment ring stopped the bits hitting the plane body. Just shows how bullet proof they are.

18. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Pucker factor.

19. sigar

sigar F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2005
    NorCal
    Why slightly forward? Is that due to the "lift" being generated by a prop blade? If so, a fan blade doesn't create lift the same way, does it still move forward?

20. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    yes

21. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    #22 LouB747, Aug 30, 2016
  22. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    If they lost a fan blade it well could have come forward of the original plane of rotation and then would likely have exited the cowl. More modern engines have fan blade containment, but not sure if this one does.

Even so, if it got far enough forward of the containment band it would have gone right through the cowling as this is just thin sheet aluminum. As with the stub stage that we saw at P&W, the aero forces are pretty large and it could well have come forward some. before it exited the cowl.

Once it got out into the cowl structure it could well have damaged the structure and that, combined with the vibration could have resulted in the subsequent loss of the front of the cowl.

I have a hard time thinking that a piece of the cowl could have hit the fuselage and created the damage there, what came out of there had to have a big lateral component to get that far with the slipstream going by at over 125 mph...

Lastly, the loss of a fan blade creates an equal and opposite imbalance force that we used to consider (and probably is) instantaneous. That is, the imbalance force hits the shaft system with a force that is about the same as if you shot it with a fan blade moving near the speed of sound. Then we'd do a forced vibration analysis to make sure the shaft held together under that kind of loading.

23. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    How is it different?

24. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    They definitely lost a fan blade. I've seen pictures of the fan.