Flying MD 80s | FerrariChat

Flying MD 80s

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Texas Forever, Aug 27, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Strictly a consumer here. I hated the damn things. Seating is bad enough in a wide body, but in a toothpaste tube?

However, pilots I have talked to said it was an interesting plane to fly with the two engines mounted so close together on the tail. Any comments?

2. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    This video will help you understand the appeal of the MD-80, from a pilot's point of view:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R0CViDUBFs

Some of my friends fly them for fire-fighting, which is a bit different sort of work than typical airline flying.

3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!

Damn, I'm impressed. Old school is good. Although, I still hate the damn things. 😉

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Thanks.
    have hundreds and hundreds of hours on the DC-9 and the MD's back in the day..

5. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I love them.

They ride more like a 737 than an Embraer.

Matt

6. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
  7. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Always liked flying into Burbank on Alaska and getting to use the rear air stair to de-plane.

8. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Allegiant Air still flies them everyday. They leave our local airport regularly.

Not too bad if you're on the two seat side of the plane.

They're starting to replace them with the Airbus (can't recall which one). I don't mind flying in them, at least you know the plane you're in is time tested.

D

9. TheDuke

TheDuke Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2011
    Texas
    #9 TheDuke, Aug 28, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
    American Airlines still flies them and I have never been a huge fan. Old interior and I am never sure if the thing has the power to get off the runway. :D

I flew on one from DFW-ORD a couple months ago and again from DFW-DEN. There might be a couple more times recently that I can't remember.

The video definitely changed my perspective.

10. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Flew into Ownesboro, Ky on one with Allegiant a couple years back. Still had ashtrays in the armrests...lol. Screwed shut. But still, plane wasn't horrible. Just a little tight.
    I was more surprised about them putting it down in that small of an airfield. Wheeled out the ramp.

11. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    They DID fly them: https://airwaysmag.com/airchive/american-retires-20-md-80/

12. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    the extended length hulls had a lot of flex... the distance from arm rest to wall would go from nominal to several inches as the plane rotated on take off

13. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Trivia question for the next game night... " Where is the compass located in a MD-80 ? "

BEHIND the pilot!!!

Love the video,

S

14. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Behind the copilot with a reverse display... wow.

15. TheDuke

TheDuke Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2011
    Texas
  16. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I flew one on Delta on Sunday from PBI to ATL and it had plenty of get-up-and-go on takeoff.

I prefer their MD-90s but the 80s are still fine. (Interesting how their 90s have 2+3 seating while the 80s are 3+2.)

17. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Fuel prices dropped so they're sticking around a bit longer.

18. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I've only flown on an MD-80 once a few months ago from ORD to PSP and it was almost the last thing I ever did, as we lost an engine as soon as the wheels left the ground. Pilot earned his paycheck that day, but as a passenger I can't say I'm a fan of the plane :D

19. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Been there done that too...

Took off from DET headed for PBI, sitting beside my 30 year old daughter and the engine just outside our window didn't sound very good on the ground.. As we climbed out it go worse and by the time we got to about 20 k we leveled off and it sounded like a meat grinder, front bearing is going and the fan is rubbing pretty bad..... I told my daughter that we weren't going to Fla and it was likely we'd be going back to DET in a few minutes..

She says... Dad! don't be so dramatic.. Just cause you design jet engines... yada yada..

Sure enough in a couple of minutes he secures the engine and as it spools down I tell her "for sure we're going back....we do a big slow turn over Toledo and head back.. Pilot announces that we're going back and daughter is like... Well damn, you do know what you're talking about...

Pilot put that sucker ON the numbers, he sure didn't want to do a go-around in one of those with only one engine..

I never really liked the DC 9 series, always preferred the 3 holer, it had a lot more power margin, and in particular if you lost an engine..

20. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I assume that you are talking about the 727 as the 3 hole'r. In my mind that has to be one of the best. I worked many many hours on that from the beginning and there were some great engineering minds that designed it and the most highly skilled mechanics who built it. It broke ground for a lot of new concepts. Great airplane.

21. 360HB

360HB Formula Junior
    Owner

Sep 10, 2016
    Wow that video was great, I spent the last 30 mins stalking all his other aviation vids too!