Collision | FerrariChat

Collision

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Bob Parks, Sep 8, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    It appears that a fatal collision has occurred at a non-control airport. I saw it briefly on the news and didn't catch the location but the two airplanes were locked together like a sandwich. The bottom airplane looked like a Tomahawk, the plane on top of it looked like a Debonaire. Looks like it was caused by the lack of traffic pattern etiquette and they got jammed up on final. I have seen this happen twice at uncontrolled airports where an airplane can get hidden under the nose of a low winged aircraft and eventually make contact. The long 707 style final without flying the pattern is one ( major) cause of things like this.

2. muk_yan_jong

muk_yan_jong Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2008
    Full Name:
    Brian McK
    That was going to be my question: How does something like how they ended up so entwined happen???

3. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    It looks like the heavier Beech airplane settled down onto the smaller airplane and they both quit flying and descended. Landing gear, tail feathers, and punctured parts can easily become entangled.

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I flew out of one of the most busy noncontrolled airports in the country for 10 years. I have talked about it before, but I was going around after jammed up by plane and helicopter on final. The plane couldn't see helicopter below it and I had to get on radio to warn them. That airport is where you also had that one 5 years ago that got stuck on top of the other. :)

Reasons:

1) The old school and RV type guys don't use the radio, don't fly standard patterns, and basically just don't give a ****.

2) Patterns vary so much from bomber patterns to base at the numbers. :) Also some drag it in low and some fall in from the sky.

5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Correct on both statements. If you don't have a radio to announce your position and your intensions , then you follow the pattern and NEVER make a straight in long approach. I posted a diagram before that I learned long ago about pattern etiquette and the crashes that occurred at these fields was due to exactly what Rob referred to. Somebody who didn't give a damn and broke into the final leg either above or below another airplane.

6. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    #6 cheesey, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
    got close during a fly in once, glad to able to execute a go around safely... never again... I drive to the event now... there are those that don't use radios, have a functioning radio, or even have a radio to be period correct, or follow procedures ( aka known as having their head where it don't shine.. )
    a##hats don't look, enter runway anywhere with their 40knot s**t boxes that can't get out the way without a weeks notice... applies to any landing strip...

is especially bad if flying a plane that covers a lot of territory quickly... ag sprayers are also dangerous as they don't use radios and will land and take off in any direction anywhere on the airport

which collision was that... there was one in Carrolton, Georgia... went back and checked the news report aircraft reported as Diamond DA20 and Beachcraft Bonanza student pilot from China and instructor and a 79yo pilot of the Beach

7. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    It was on one of the national news shows last night and they played it like it was a horrible thing that the airport was uncontrolled. My wife was watching and she even remarked how the news show was playing this up as though having an uncontrolled airport was a travesty...

The big flashing graphic that OVER 20,000 AIRPORTS IN THE COUNTRY DON"T HAVE CONTROL TOWERS!!!!

Here's a link to the piece ...
    Two Single-Engine Planes Collide in Midair in Georgia - ABC News

Now there will be a hue and cry to try to have a control tower at every cleared patch of ground that an airplane can land on...

Most likely someone followed the rules and someone did not. My sympathies for those involved, but just as you approach in intersection on the road, there are rules of the road that are necessary for ALL to observe so that we all are safe.

When someone does not follow those rules the results can be tragic, on the street and in the air. No difference, and as the old saying about it being dangerous goes "it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect"

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Looking around helps, too. Some pilots get too fixated on what they are doing and forget they are flying using VFR rules.

9. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Kathryn's Report: 09/07/16

You guys go to Kathryns report? It's the most comprehensive reporting I can find. I started to post about this as it is not that far from KAND and makes me think of my paranoia when flying with Julie. I am always watching the 430 when ten miles out to see when she calls in for our arrival. Ten, Five, Downwind, final. I remember a while back when someone was actually at the airport several miles over in Clemson, but they were on the Anderson frequency. That may have happened. I don't know how many of these I have read in which an instructor is killed with the student or crashes with the student. Tragic, tragic, tragic. As I get older, I hate seeing beautiful young people killed when it should never have occurred. Check out the video of the guy spinning in from stalling the Citabra. It's a few pages later. Then the beautiful young Chinese girl mangled by the spacial disorientation that brought about her diving in on the beach. Lessons to be learned, not to be repeated.

10. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    You are correct, Taz. I have been messing around with airplanes since 1938 and flying out of "non controlled airports' ever since then. I was a passenger until 1945 and I was always taught about pattern rules and if you follow them you will be safe, even when there is someone in the pattern that isn't following them. The eyes have it. If you perform the prescribed procedures and LOOK AT WHAT'S GOING ON IN THE PATTERN you can make the correct decisions. I have been there many times when I had to yield to an idiot who was blundering into the pattern. The latest incident is very similar to the last one that I witnessed. A Cessna broke into the final leg from the east and was in a steep left turn. An instructor and student was IN THE PATTERN and making a turn to the right from the west onto final. They were blind to each other, with wings and the fuselage blocking the view of each other and they collided, killing everyone. The intruding Cessna was blamed for not following pattern etiquette and he had been reprimanded several times for busting into traffic before.

11. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- We had a private pilot that refused to not fly through the radar pattern at Cannon AFB because it was not restricted airspace. He was warned several times. He finally ended up collecting an F-111D and all three of them died. Visibility under the very long nose of an F-111 was not good with gear and flaps down and 10 degrees AoA. They never saw each other.

12. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    ^^^ +1000

I think this is a bigger problem at airports with long runways. For some reason the longer the runway the longer the pattern. More instructors need to pull power on base at the numbers and teach their students to make a normal landing.

Never had much problem with this. However, at a local airport there are a bunch of RV guys who fly lots of formation, and follow the leader light acro. Problem occurs when they come back to land. They like to fly a mil overhead break. While this is a great way to recover aircraft quickly it really is a disruption when integrating into an already busy standard pattern.

13. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech
    AAHHHH so you guys have been to Santa Paula then...(KSZP) ... or as my instructors called it, "cowboy country, they got radios they just don't think they need to use them".

I rarely fly in there, because every time I do, I follow the correct pattern entry procedure, ie over the city, enter a crosswind in to a long down wind and report at all the places I'm supposed to, invariably someone in a home built cuts you off, then when you land, they act like you where taking to long and are not a real pilot if you have to use the radio and follow rules.....I usually remind them that given their age they will likely be dead long before me, I just hope they don't take someone else out or plough it into the city

14. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    That just just means they like to act like they know how to fly a military overhead pattern. If they did it correctly they would know any airplane on downwind has priority...even if it's a bomber pattern DW...and they need to follow that/those guy(s) after the break. Bottom line is eyes out all the time!

15. Tim Wells

Tim Wells Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2009
    Dallas, GA
    Full Name:
    Tim Wells
    This was a small local airport to me and it seems it was a Bonanza and a Diamond Katana which the latter had a student and instructor on board. All 3 perished.

16. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I had a cowboy almost kill me and a student pilot in 95. We were doing pattern work at a small uncontrolled airport and a guy in a long EZ popped up on freq and said he was number 1 for the runway. My student and I both look at each other as we were on a 3 mile final...our 4th touch and go of the day at said airport. I told him we were on a 3 mile final for the runway.

He said he couldnt see us and was continuing. Before I had the chance to break off, The Long Ez flew directly over head and missed us by less than 10 feet. Never thought I could get wake turbulence from a Long EZ. He landed without further radio communication. We did a go around and rejoined the pattern.

This is when it got weird. My student was preoccupied by what happened, I was pulling the seat cushion from my sphincter. He asked if we could make the next landing a full stop. 'Yes...we could use a moment to regroup'. We landed and he then asked to shut down as he didnt feel well. 'No problem', nobody wants puke in the schools plane'. We shut down by some T Hangars. He gets out and starts to walk away with saying a word.

I chalk the plane and follow suit to see if I just lost a student. My student had tracked where the guy had parked, asked to land and hunted him down. He had the LongEZ guy on the ground by his collar reading him the riot act. I ran up to the fiasco and just kinda froze. My student kept screaming to the other guy about being safe, following the AIM and stop trying to kill people. No punches just a good ol' fashioned dress down. The LongEZ guy knew he F'd up. He had to listen to the 6' 230lb tatted up kid berate him.

We left and his lesson was free. Good kid, but no way in heck would I ever want to cross him in a dark alley.

17. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Damn, I never had any fun like this when I was a student. The most fun I ever had was when we sloooowly lost an engine during a dual cross country. The things just slowly lost RPMs as we head back to KVGT from Death Valley. Totally lost the engine on final, but we intentionally stayed high and hot knowing it wasn't running well. To my CFII's credit, he never even broke a sweat and let me handle completely. He never even touched the radios. We got on the ground and with the biggest smile he said, "see, now that's good training right there.

Mark

18. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I remember getting a "dressing down " when I was a student but it was my instructor and he told me that I had to wake up and start thinking about flying the airplane. His words, " Boy! This airplane is waiting for a chance to kill you and if you give it the slightest opening it will take it." This was at an "un-controlled airport" and not only flying was taught there but strict rules about entering and leaving traffic and the never ending use of one's eyes and brain. I'm thankful that I had such mean guys teaching me. My first instructor had been flying for 15 years and had 15 off-airport landings. Of course, those were the days of engines that that weren't anywhere close to the reliability of todays engines. Precision approaches and spot landings were a big part of training then.

19. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    ...Black Jack Squadron.

Yes, it does get busy there.

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    now that is a story! however, you are one of the guys doing a 3 mile final! you better have been in a B-52. :D ;)

21. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Why were you on a 3 mile final doing T&G's?

22. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    It really wasn't that uncommon when I was training at VGT. Extended downwinds to make room for other traffic was pretty well expected, especially if the Grand Canyon tour planes were coming.

Mark

23. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    KVGT is a controlled field. You pretty much do as told. Unless in a jet, a 3 mile final at an uncontrolled field is creating problems, IMO. On a hazy summer day in the midwest you could be on the edge of having the runway in sight, let alone be seen by other traffic in the pattern.

24. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I can't retrieve my drawing of flying the traffic pattern so I'll do another one.

25. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Is a 2-3 mile final really that wacky in VFR conditions? It probably was more tight as I think about it from 20ish years ago.