Ongoing search for Amelia Earhart | FerrariChat

Ongoing search for Amelia Earhart

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by carguyjohn350, Sep 10, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    I have been fascinated with Amelia Earhart since I did a book report on her in grade school. Its hard for me to fathom how alone a person would be at that time in a plane over the pacific. Might as well have been on the moon almost.

I saw this article on Fox and it led me to the website for a new search being conducted in 2017. There is a 35 minute video on the main page of the TIGHAR sight that I thought was fascinating and might be of interest to some here.

Wish I knew how to embed youtube clips.

New evidence reportedly indicates Amelia Earhart survived crash | Fox News

https://tighar.org/

Referenced video from TIGHAR on YouTube:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jSyR0Jyafk[/ame]

2. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Gillespe said that she disappeared off Radar? In 1937? She was able to maintain radio contact because there was enough fuel in the tanks to keep an engine running. This is a stretch for me.

3. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Simply remove the "s" from "https". Fixed it for you.

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- First gasoline powered radio. Most use the battery.

5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    #5 Bob Parks, Sep 10, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
    I was thinking more on the lines of damage to both engines and props if she made a rough landing as they say "half on land and half in the water". I know that Radar was in the development stages before the war but I doubt that there were tracking stations that far out in the Pacific at that time.

6. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- Personally, I think way too much money and time has been wasted on the search.

I agree on the radar. Most of it was highly classified before the war and nobody would have wanted a system on an island in the 30s where it could have been exploited. Just on military installations, if even then.

7. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

8. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    In the video they state that the radio is battery operated but the battery is charged by the engine so if you want to keep using the radio you have to run the engines while you use it so the battery is being charged while in use.

9. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    John- Always wondered how that worked.

10. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    For what its worth, that was a great presentation. I guess they are heading out summer 2017? I love good ol fashioned mysteries like Oak Island etc. Who knows, they might find wreckage.

The partial crash landing is plausible IMHO. Ive flown to Majuro, Wake Island Christmas (Kiritimati) Island, Johnston Atol, every island has something to offer as far as surviving a landing. Im guessing it touched down below 100kts?

11. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Zoomed a satellite view into Majuro to check it out.. fascinating to see how they fit a runway into the tiny sliver of land available..

https://goo.gl/maps/1yMq9dKZoCs

12. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Yup, Im sure there was a little excavating along the way. Johnston Atoll was the coolest by far during the day. They gave you a class on the red light system and a gas mask upon arrival. Something about chemical disposal incinerator bla bla bla.

13. Admiral Goodwrench

Admiral Goodwrench Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    My last visit to Johnston Island was August 1958 when two separate 3.8 megaton nuclear bursts were set off, one at 250,000 feet and the other at 141,000 feet, both generated huge EMP disrupting Pacific wide aircraft communications and incredible light shows. Sorry for the off topic hi-jack.

Best regards,

Robert

14. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Agree on searching for the site of the termination of the flight. After chatting at length with Paul Mantz long before all this started,I see no profit in going through so much effort and time and money. As I mentioned before, his impressions of Earhardt as a pilot with good judgement were not favorable to a successful flight. She rejected most of his advice and was prone to improvising on what was happening.

15. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    How did you get permission for there? Would be interesting as long as wasn't contaminated..

I see permit required according to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnston_Atoll

Incredible..

I believe it's ok to visit Bikini Atoll.. one of my long term "to-do" is to land a seaplane and have a swim at ground zero of the Castle Bravo https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Bravo site https://goo.gl/maps/oSB22KA41PJ2

16. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Therefore one assumes the engine had a generator hanging on the side of it like every car back then.

The problem is the wreckage, or pieces of it would surely have long since washed away, broken up and now rusted away.
    Pete

17. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    Man I thought this was over. I saw a documentary a few years ago where wreckage was found on a beach with clothing and items that would be period correct, some kind of broadcasts were heard by the navy I believe and they had figured she survived... and as far as I could tell the mystery was solved then.

18. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Agree. It really is one of a few remaining really great mysteries. The presentation is very good and explains the radio issue very well if one bothers to listen carefully. Their hypothesis is sound and I admire them for continuing to test it.

19. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I think Amelia had a hand in her own demise and most people don't want to admit it.

When the legend becomes fact, print the legend.

20. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    What do you mean? Im not being passive aggressive I'm really asking. I'd be interested to hear your take if you'd like to share.

21. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

One big thing they did not mention in the presentation is that they ditched the trailing antenna prior to this leg. Trying to save weight. Affected communications.

22. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    If I remember correctly, the decision to omit the trailing Low Frequency Radio antenna was another bad move and hobbled her ability to communicate. As far as wreckage recovery, after 81 years of exposure to salt water and/or salt air there would be little or nothing left of the aluminum. Steel parts would be pretty much rusted away or buried in the sand if it was on a reef or shoreline. Interesting to try to find the evidence but it is a waste of time and money if it doesn't solve anything.

23. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    And if it solves something?

24. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

I am amazed that people are willing to devote so much time and money to this...

25. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech
    Maybe they can look for MH370 while their at it ;)