Sully (film) | FerrariChat

Sully (film)

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by BMW.SauberF1Team, Sep 10, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I saw this last night and though it was fantastic. I thought some of the A320 scenes were not that good looking in terms of CGI capability for 2016.

At any rate, the previews showed a scene with F4 Phantoms I was looking forward to and it ended up being pretty well done. They looked like actual flying F4s and not CGI. Does anyone know about which planes they used and where filming took place? There aren't that many flying F4s around at least in the States and there were two in the scene. I suppose they could've used one to shoot two scenes and overlay the footage...

2. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC
    Snooze fest.

3. Tim Wells

Tim Wells Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2009
    Dallas, GA
    Full Name:
    Tim Wells
    Well if there's an F-4 in it I'll go see it.

4. future328driver

future328driver Formula 3

Dec 10, 2001
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Ken Thomas
    They used real F-4s. There are still about 20 flying that are being converted into arial targets. They are based out of Holloman AFB in New Mexico. This year's EAA AirVenture show in Oshkosh featured aerial demos by 2 Phantoms.

5. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    My friend used to fly 74-0645 out of Seymour Johnson AFB and it was still flying some years ago as a drone when I helped him track it down. It appears it's listed on a Holloman AFB list as of 2015 of the two dozen or so left. Cool stuff...I hope his somehow stays preserved.

6. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I know Rob Collings has one. Or I guess I should say the foundation has one. I heard rumor that he attained it through "pork" on a bill/act of congress. LOL... Well I am glad some good comes of "pork"

Aircraft - The Collings Foundation

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Sully made $35M, positioned number 1, on its first weekend, so looks like it will be a commercial success since it cost $65M to make.

8. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Sully is now an industry, check out his website Sully Sullenberger

Crap I knew it would be big. I got Austin of X-Plane 10 Global | The World?s Most Advanced Flight Simulator | X-Plane.com fame in touch with the VP for Warner Brothers to see if there's some synergy for a business venture. When it first happened, Austin downloaded the entire episode including ATC, and created a flying game on the Iphone, complete with bird blood splatter for the kids playing it. You flew the plane through boxes like on his emergency landing ap Xavion ? By Austin Meyer and hopefully landed as Sully did duplicating his flight path.

Within a week he had 100k in his pocket at 99 cents a clip when he got a cease and desist letter from US Air. He promptly withdrew it as he could not have AAPL take notice of negative publisity. This was when Jobs was still alive and everyone was afraid of Jobs. Austin reasoned he could not jeopardize X-plane by pissing off Jobs.

So the story is this: "Too late to get it in the original release, but he movie lives in many widowns". That's a direct quote from the VP. I expect to see something in a box set or via other means. But man he sure could have hit it out of the park if it could have been promoted with the release.

Anyway, Austin just completed a movie on Patent trolls, with him as the star. He was sued a few years ago, and instead of settling for say 50K, he decided to spend a number of millions defending and making a movie. This new connection may help him release the movie, and I expect him to do other things now with simulation for Warner. Oh, the VP also is an avid user of X-Plane. So, the stars were all lined up, but just missed the first flight out!! Crap!

9. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin

WOW... thats a great story