what kind of missile is this? | FerrariChat

what kind of missile is this?

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Ryan S., Sep 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrf5QRF9fC4[/ame]

What is the benefit of the direction changing ability that this thing has at launch?

Pretty cool to see.....

2. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    I'll begin by saying I'm no expert on these things and I know there are guys on here that are, so they will likely expound on what I say...or say STFUR! There were several different missiles shown, I believe. In any case, the ones launched from cannisters or launch tubes use separate short burn first stages to clear their launchers before the second flight stage ignites. The direction change shortly after clearing the tubes is done with other small motors and likely depends on the optimal trajectory for a given target.

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    There were six or seven different types of missiles in that short film, all the way from an air-to-surface anti-radiation missile like our AGM-88 HARM to a road transportable ICBM (like a mobile Minuteman III). Would take a while to identify all of them.

4. Ryan S.

Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    I'm just curious about the one shown at the start of the video.

Does the US use anything like that?

That 90 degree change in direction so quickly was pretty cool to see.

5. Ryan S.

Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    just thinking out loud here but would that low trajectory of the rocket as a result of that 90 degree capability keep it out of sight of certain types of radars?

6. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2007
    Milano - Italia
    Full Name:
    Cardinal
    Looks like a BrahMos.

7. Red Sled

Red Sled Formula Junior

I am guessing BrahMos does the 90 deg manoeuvre to efficiently orient itself in the intended direction of travel before the main booster fires, maximising range. Also, possible that the ramjet is easier to light and sustain while the missile is travelling in a straight line. Just guessing.

As for US examples, not like for like, but the THAAD energy management cork screw when fired at White Sands is pretty cool too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-e0b_Y4sJY

8. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    I continue to be amazed by the technology that gets developed (not only by our own military contractors, but those of our enemies). The technical challenges that have to be solved are considerable. And, costly, as a consequence.

I'm no expert, either, but friends of mine are in the contracting game, and, while they cannot divulge what they're working on, they are constantly struggling to figure things out on one-off or limited production systems. It can be as simple as a minor irregularity in some small sub-component that has to be identified and fixed. It can take months to resolve. Or longer.

Anyway, I'm glad they're working on it. Because, our enemies are.

CW