Sully was good but Gimli Glider was GREAT! | FerrariChat

Sully was good but Gimli Glider was GREAT!

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Nuvolari, Sep 13, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I certainly do not want to take away the achievements of Sully and the now famous Miracle on the Hudson landing but 26 years earlier Captain Bob Pearson cemented himself in Canadian Aviation folklore when he dead stick landed his Air Canada Boeing 767 bearing tail #604 on a drag strip in Gimli Manitoba. To those not familiar with the story it is brilliantly re-told by the television program 'Mayday'. If you have 45 minutes watch the following film that chronicles the flight and subsequent investigtion.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bct1mWUp8to[/ame]

2. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    So I plan to watch this, but skipped around enough to know they ran out of fuel. How did this happen? Yikes!

3. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Watch the film it is a quite interesting combination of human and machine errors.

4. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    They refueled the airplane using the incorrect metric system to calculate fuel load.

5. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Oh my god! I noted the landing gear was down on the front, will have to see if that was on purpose. I would think if not it was a stroke of luck and helped slow the plane.

6. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    I was going to mention this in the Sully thread. My great grand father was one of the first hires when Air Canada was formed by the Canadian government in the 1930's. He basically got a government like pension. Including life free travel on Air Canada for him and his spouse. My great grand mother lived with my family and would go to Manitoba every summer to visit friends. My great aunt, her daughter was involved in the Icelandic festival in Gimli. Since my Grand mother visited Gimli and always flew Air Canada. This event kind of was more interesting to me.

The biggest factor was the digital fuel quantity gauges went out. Back in 1976 to get the provinces to convert to metric, the feds passed a law that they had too convert by 1976. Since Air Canada was a government corporation, they had to specify the planes they ordered be in metric. The fuel was still delivered in pounds. The ground crew used a wrong conversion method. The pilots relied on their calculation for the quantity of fuel onboard. The pilots still had a fuel used gauge. But the amount was entered by the pilots. Fact is the real error was the pilots ignoring the fuel quantity gauges being out and taking off anyway.

7. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    #7 Nuvolari, Sep 13, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The Gimli Glider story has always been my favorite aviation tale. After the plane was retired in 2008 I unsuccessfully managed to make it to the boneyard where it was to see the iconic aircraft. Sadly nobody was interested in buying the plane so it was scrapped. There is however a happy ending, the guys at MotoArt bought a piece of the plane and issued a limited number of luggage tags cut from the original skin of the Gimli Glider. I thought it a super cool bit of aviation history and bought a bunch of them for me and to give to some friends I knew would appreciate it. Here is a pic of the tag. They do a cool etching on it and at $50 it is a reasonably priced piece of aviation history. I have no affiliation with MotoArt I just think their stuff is cool.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Interesting to note that the plane was flown out of Gimli only 2 days later.

Bob always talks about the skill of the Boeing 'field repair' crew.

Also, after serving suspensions, the next time the pilot and FO flew together some time later, they realized as they boarded the plane, that it was the same Gimli aircraft... by chance, probably.

9. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Very cool!

10. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

MotoArt used to have a weekly show on Discovery maybe 10-12 years ago.
    One of their guys died and they stopped the show.

Was good while it lasted...

Glad they're still around.

11. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    As we are on the topic of heroic saves involving Canadians, this has to be right up there. Air Transat 236, Airbus A330, 2001. Ran out of fuel over the Atlantic. Crew glided for 75 miles and somehow managed to land the thing in the Azores. Amazing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Transat_Flight_236

12. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    #12 Jet-X, Sep 14, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    There are just so many mind bending things that took place with the Gimli Glider. To me the most incredible was the extreme side slip they used to shed altitude. Supposedly a bunch of pilots were put in the simulator afterwards and they all crashed. In addition dead stick landing training and procedures were implemented after this incident too. After the incident the plane went on to fly another 25 years and I often wondered if I ever got to fly the famous 'Gimli Glider' in one of my many Air Canada flights.

14. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    A nice piece of history.

15. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    From what I know about slipping a swept wing airplane , what he did was to defy the strong chance of going into a snap roll. He had to have spoon and bottled the aileron and rudder inputs to keep the "up wind wing " from rolling the airplane. Incredible and sensitive job.

16. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Probably would not have worked if he had not been a very experienced glider pilot.

17. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I think that he had a more sensitive feel of what the airplane was doing and, as I said, modulated inputs to keep the airplane upright. Boeing lost a 707-226 when a student lost control of it let it snap roll when he was subjected to a simulated engine out situation at high AOA and low airspeed. I don't know if everyone understands the disparity of lift when you advance or increase direct chord-wise airflow over one wing , increasing lift, and decreasing chord-wise flow over the other wing and decreasing lift. The only thing that I can think of that kept the Canadian 767 upright in a slip is the application of less top rudder and up aileron when the pilot senses a roll. Requires a delicate feel in a large airplane, I think.

18. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    I've slipped the 747-200 a couple of times, for fun. I always had plenty of airspeed and margin above stall speed. It seemed to slip just like any other airplane. Aileron one way, rudder the other. Nose down a little and add power. The power was because I wasn't trying to get down. I was just following a normal glideslope. It did seem to generate quite a bit of drag and required a healthy dose of power to keep speed on the glideslope.

Cargo flight. No passengers.

19. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    You know more about it than I in a swept wing , for sure, but the nose down a little is the good thing and what I was told was a forward slip. Nose level or up was called a side slip and could be more dangerous than the forward slip. You fly the little guys and hone your skills by flying, not driving or " operating". All of the accomplished big iron pilots that I have known flew the small stuff because they loved to fly and they were good at both the nose-draggers and tail-draggers.

20. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Cool MotoArt desk.

Albatross Elevator Desk | MotoArt

21. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Cool MotoArt desk.

Albatross Elevator Desk | MotoArt

22. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Rob,

hope all is well since i havent seen you since the victory in toronto ages ago. i think i have the same part at home! next week i plan to visit the memorial. ill be in winnipeg the only problem is that its an hour away with no monuments or nothing.

research shows the drag strip is empty. ill keeo you poated if i do visit gimli next week.

23. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    Watched this while I ate lunch yesterday. Absolutely fascinating. I'd never heard this story before, but then I was born in 1982.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

24. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Yup. This is the norm on my plane to transfer fuel while enroute. Open the inter tank valve, a little rudder trim.....problem solved.

Thanks for the great stories across the internet gents. Never knew about the Canadian dead stick landings.

25. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Yes it has been quite a while and the photo you took of me on the roof of the car with the whole team celebrating is still my favorite. I look at it all the time. Please do post if you make it to Gimli. It would be interesting to see what the site looks like now. Keep well :)