Sully - spectaular, Gimli Glider - Great, but Sioux City DC-10 beats both | FerrariChat

Sully - spectaular, Gimli Glider - Great, but Sioux City DC-10 beats both

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Tcar, Sep 21, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

#1 Tcar, Sep 21, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    UAL 232, DC-10 crash-landing in Sioux City was the most incredible

Fan departs plane severing all hydraulics, only 2 engines to change direction or altitude or attitude. No controls at all. No brakes.

Somehow, they made it to a runway... a miracle in itself... but no way to slow the plane.

I remember listening on the radio at work as it transpired; originated here in Denver... turned out I knew/know a person that was on the plane that survived.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Airlines_Flight_232

The DC-10 went through design and construction in such a hurry that there were a number of SERIOUS issues with the plane - resulting in a number of losses.

2. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
  3. Ericjg4

Ericjg4 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
  4. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

5. Ericjg4

Ericjg4 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    Yeah that's true. I couldn't imagine that kind of scenario.

6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I had the pleasure of attending a presentation by Capt. Al Haynes at Seattle's Museum of Flight about a year after the crash. Very inspirational!

7. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

#7 Tcar, Sep 22, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
    I remember that a reward was offered by GE for the engine fan that caused all the damage when it departed the plane. They hired people to search for it.

Many looked for it, found small pieces, but it was finally found by a farmer running a combine. It was partly buried but stuck in the combine.

I think that MD added safety valves to prevent the loss of all hydraulics should that happen again. It had 3 hydraulic circuits but they all ran through the same area in the rear fuselege.
    The DC-10 had no manual (cable) control back-up as some other other planes did.

I believe the L-1011 had 4 circuits with safety valves on some of them.