Autopilot takes over from unconscious F-16 pilot | FerrariChat

Autopilot takes over from unconscious F-16 pilot

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Tcar, Sep 26, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

2. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    They should put that in commercial jets

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

3. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    AutoGCAS (Automated Ground Collision Avoidance System) has been tested and reliable for a very good number of years. It had been a primary focus of mine to implore AF leadership to push for its fleet wide funding for the F-16. After 15 years, I lost track of the number of F-16 pilots, some who were my friends, who were lost to GLOC or SD related collisions with the ground. I was an investigator for several and consultant for many fatal Class As involving the above. In virtually every single case, AGCAS would have avoided the death of the pilot and loss of the weapon system. The Air Force decided on implementing AGCAS in phases starting with Predictive GCAS...which was AGCAS without the software ties to the flight controls. Bottom line is that it was really hard to change old school fighter pilots' preconceptions regarding the machine taking over. It took many years of pursuading, much of it by me, to get folks to understand that if this sytem took control of the jet, you were about to die.

4. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  5. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Sounds like a good system if a pilot regains consciousness. Is remote control of the aircraft (like a drone) possible or contemplated in a future upgrade?

6. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
  7. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Not necessary except for some possible rare and weird scenarios like bird strike to the head without being dead already, etc. LOC and SD situations are generally very brief...all the system should ever need to do is roll wings level and max G pull to nose high to avoid collision with the ground. From high altitude it was set for 1000' min pull out clearance plane with the ground. At low level it used different parameters which I can't recall exactly but which were always being calculated in an infinite loop based on atitude, airspeed, and altitude above the ground based off INS position cross referenced with DTED (Digital Terrain Elevation Data).

8. 360HB

360HB Formula Junior
    Owner

Sep 10, 2016
    This was one of the coolest vida I've seen. Listening to the frantic calls over the radio is chilling. It's nuts to think that a couple of years ago that airman probably would have lost his life.

9. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    My uncle, R.I.P., said that after the plane stabilized, he let go of the controls to let it fly itself.

If one of you would like to start a dedicated "F-16" thread here, please make the first post using the Locheed-Martin interview on YouTube, where my uncle describes the first flight at Edwards when the plane went out of control during a high-speed taxi run. I'm over my posting limit of attachments for a non-subscriber. Thanks in advance!

10. Bludiablordstr

Bludiablordstr Karting

Sep 15, 2007
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Lost a couple of friends to g-loc, we always thought thought this was a good idea, in the 90's we were just thechno limited....RIP Chico and Willie..... VCSL

11. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

I worked on the design and development of the old LASTE system on the A-10's in the late 80's early 90's that included GCAS...the article is a bit misleading of course its a NASA document....it does work and save lives...

12. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    +1 Very cool!

13. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I was flying the A-10 when that system came out. All I can say is great job!