Another B-52 back from the Boneyard to Minot | FerrariChat

Another B-52 back from the Boneyard to Minot

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Tcar, Oct 6, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    45,000 man hours to rebuild it...holy christ.

2. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    It's amazing that we only have 1/10 of them that we used to.

3. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    22 man-years, or 14 guys for 19 months. Not that bad if you consider that the total probably includes a lot of in-direct hrs.

4. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Yeah, at how many hundreds or thousands of dollars per hour?

5. dmaxx3500

dmaxx3500 Formula 3

Jul 19, 2008
    I wonder if they modernized it too?

6. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

we chopped up 365 + lot of them when Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty act happened they used a giant guillotine..i saw one of them being chopped up at Davis Monthan...
    hard to watch...

7. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

That's what the article says... check it out.

8. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

If you look at the boneyard pic, you can see planes with their chopped off wings next to them.

They have to be left out in the open so that Russian satellites can see that we destroyed them. Part of the START treaty.

9. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    I don't know if it worths to do such a thing.

Who knows..

10. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    If McCain and the rest of the idiots in congress and DOD had let us build the 132 planned B-2s it would not have been necessary.

11. Aedo

Aedo F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2006
    Perth
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Long term rates... so probably less than you think. But even at $200/hr (and I don't know any tradesman who would get even half that on a long term basis) that's only $10M for a fully modernised BUFF...

vs the alternative:
    at $1B each (yes I know it would have been less "If McCain and the rest of the idiots in congress...." built more).

Plus I just find it incredible that an aircraft designed essentially before computers is still a front-line combat weapon system :)

12. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I'm scheduled to give a talk at Boeing next month as part of the Centennial. In my discussions with some of the younger set of engineers they are aghast when I described how the early stuff was designed and built...all hands and eyes...and the human computers. They have never heard of ducks and splines, Master Layouts, and Master Models, and Marchand 26 digit calculators. Some of my old drawings have been discovered and scooped up to join others in their tech library.

13. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The B-2 was designed on computers that were state of the art at the time and quite advanced. Assembly, Fortran, and other languages were much more efficient than what we use now.

14. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    The CATIA is what is used now. Draws, computes, tests, assembles,etc. Also can be one huge headache if you aren't up-to-date on a daily basis.

15. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    And paperless to Bob, don't forget paperless. LOL. We used a lot of paper on the 777. haha. Of course I'm old school and like to see a nice layout that I can scribble all over.

16. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I'm with you, Jim. I had a lot of drawings that I had for back up in the beginning but the CATIA won.

17. Aedo

Aedo F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2006
    Perth
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Great that they are going in the tech library... but better if they were going on the wall!!! Old technical drawings and plans were works of art in their own right - they should be on display! :)

18. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    And different versions of Catia sometimes return different results...OOPS. I forgot if it was Boeing or Airbus, but parts made with one version at one manufacturer didn't fit with parts made with a different version at another manufacturer.

19. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo

Airbus.
    The Germans using one (2D?) versus French (3D?).
    The wire bundles for the 380 were a huge issue as a result (among other things).

20. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Boeing has suffered the same maladies from Catia at different levels.

21. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I hear that each new version is more trouble than the previous version and it takes a CATIA whizbang expert to interpret it. Looking back, I remember that we tried to make parts for the 747 with CATIA and they wouldn't fit. I think that I posted this before but the CATIA parts were built to 00.00" tolerances and the 747 were built to .03 tolerances. That don't work.