"Strategic Air Command" on DVD! | FerrariChat

"Strategic Air Command" on DVD!

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Gatorrari, Oct 14, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    At long last, one of the great aviation movies (visually, at least) is being issued on DVD and Blu-ray. "Strategic Air Command" starring Jimmy Stewart and June Allyson will be released on 10/18.

Based on the info I have, this will be a "bare bones" release, with no added features, but just getting these visual images on disc will be worth it. This is probably the best video coverage of the B-36 and B-47 that you will ever see on screen.

2. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Awesome movie

3. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Is it on VHS? I think I saw it a number of years ago. Rented, I believe.

I have "Bridges of Toko Ri" on VHS...

4. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    It was on Netflix.

5. Gator

Gator Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 29, 2006
    Mesquite, NV
    Full Name:
    Darryl Van Dorn
    I was going to Mirror Lake Jr. High which was near downtown St. Petersburg. While in P.E. outdoors, the B-36 flew about a dozen passes over the school as the director was trying to get the planes shadow over the base that Jimmy Stewart was suppose to be playing at Al Lang Field. Spring training for the Cardinals.

6. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I can hardly remember that movie but I do remember watching a B-36 taking off from San Diego with the rear set of wheels on the starboard truck with the brakes locked up. And also hearing one go over Seattle late at night in 1953. Dishes rattling in the cupboard long before it arrived overhead. I couldn't believe how long it took for it to pass over us. We could hear it for at least 20 minutes or more. I was working on the B-52 at the time and this time element (time warp?) has begun to take on a different look for me. Sixty three years ago and that B-52 is still going on and what I remember as everyday things that happened when I was working are now considered history. And to think, the young squirts at work used to call me Fossil but I never paid any attention to it.

7. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Sounds great, now we need "A Gathering of Eagles" on DVD, too, to complete the SAC movies.

8. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
  9. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
  10. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I have been replacing my VHS movie collection with DVDs as each one appeared. At long last, this is the last VHS that needed replacing!

11. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I watched it over the weekend, and the picture looks fantastic even on DVD. The B-36 and B-47 never looked better. Some bonus features would have been nice, but the presentation is fine as is.

12. CarterHendricks

Sep 26, 2005