Tales from a fired stewardess | FerrariChat

Tales from a fired stewardess

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Tcar, Oct 17, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

One of those really inane threads... "don't drink the water unless it's bottled." Don't drink the coffee or tea... same water". "Pilots usually sleep during the flight". "Pilots are very skilled so that if lightning hits the plane, they know what to do", "Pilots always land hard when it's raining to keep from hydroplaning", "sometimes airlines borrow inexperienced pilots from other airlines if they run out", and on and on.

There was this statement, though:

"Did you know that if a plane is being hijacked while it's still on the ground, they have signs like leaving the wings up? That's their "code" to tell the watchers that there is a problem, so if you're ever on a plane that's in trouble like that, which I hope never happens, the pilot is trained to do certain things to call for help without being noticed."

Leaving the wings up??? Huh?
    Flaps up maybe?

Anyone heard of this?

2. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Yes, but she has it wrong.

The wet runway thing is funny as well-- I always find that I land much, much more smoothly on wet runways.

3. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Here I thought we would get lurid tales of shenanigans with passengers or crews...I'm sure there are plenty of "behind the scenes" things we DON'T know about. I do know a couple that works for a major airline (one runs maintenance, the other is a flight attendant), I could ask them about some of these.

4. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

So what does "Leave the Wings up" mean?

5. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Here is the list of items and responses by various aviation people.

https://www.quora.com/Are-these-flying-secrets-true-30-Pilots-And-Flight-Attendants-Confess-The-Best-Kept-Secrets-You-Don%E2%80%99t-Know-About-Flying

"Leave the wings up" is kind of ambiguous by description. But as best I can figure it probably means to leave the speed brakes up or the flaps down after landing. These would normally be retracted after landing, so leaving them extended would be odd. Doesn't seem to be true though.

6. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I don't want to disclose anything especially secret, not that this is, but this is from the FAA website:

http://fsims.faa.gov/wdocs/orders/ps_orders/a_7110.49d.htm

7. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    This "wings up" thing has triggered a response that has recently gotten my hackles up. My sister-in-law recently described what happened to her grandson when he was riding his motorcycle and he had to miss "a truck tire". He was seriously injured in the ensuing crash when he collided with a guard rail. My initial impression was that there was a truck tire in the road so I asked her if it was laying in the on-coming lane or in his lane. She bristled and said that it was on a tanker truck! She then described that he had become sucked into the underside of a tanker and had to veer out of it and ran into the guard rail. The "tire" was a wheel on the tanker truck. So he was passing " an eighteen-tired truck" in her mind and to her a tire is an entire wheel. I have bumped into this several times recently and it then breaches the wheel terminology when so many people now call a wheel "A RIM". Where in hell did that start? So now, an entire wheel is called a tire and the wheel is called a rim. Has anybody looked up the definition of "RIM"? Does anybody know what a wheel is? Does anybody know what a tire is?
    There are some who tell me that that is the changing ways of language. That is bullcrap! To me it is slip-shod mental sloppiness.

8. gday

gday Formula 3

Sep 10, 2004
    CA, USA - NSW, AUS
    Full Name:
    Mick
    Gotten into this discussion too. I think its more anchored in ignorance than sloppiness. And then throw in education by google search.

-mick

9. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    So much fail. The flaps down, spoilers up scenario is a thing of the past. In all honesty, a hijacker will have no idea of a stuck mike while I plead to come to some sort of resolution. There is an official way to display distress that I will not disclose publicly.

10. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    The terminology of rim comes from many places, borrowed and interchanged.

"The upper or outer edge of an object, typically something circular or approximately circular".

Rim, as on a bicycle or motorcycle.
    On my flat bed truck there are six "split rim" wheels.
    A term from the 60's, "Chrome rims" (yes, wheels)

All of which I will not expend the energy to correct on or agonize about...

11. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    There have been more hijackings of corporate and charter aircraft than you might think. A friend of mine was hijacked in a Citation... part 91.

12. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    No need to expend energy or to agonize when there are people like a fellow worker of mine who said that his friend sold his PORSH and bought an ALFA ROMERO. He also said that," You can make anything if you have the BASIC INGRIEVIENCES." He kept us smiling most of the time.

13. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Is there a special code if they are trying to jack your nukuler weapons?

14. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Reminds me of a t-shirt I once saw a guy wearing that said "Por-sche is a two-syllable word!"

15. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I know a guy like that.:)

16. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    I know for a fact that there's no such thing as turbulence, just bored pilots.