Bob Hoover Passed Away | FerrariChat

Bob Hoover Passed Away

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by tazz99, Oct 25, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tazz99

tazz99 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 16, 2007
    Kennesaw, GA
    Full Name:
    Seth
    I just heard that Bob Hoover has passed away at 94. RIP to one of the great ones. Thank you for some wonderful memories. Now go teach the angles how to really fly.

2. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    That's sad to hear. Bob Hoover was a really nice person as well as a great pilot. I was in quite a few air shows in which he also participated and we always had fun stuff with him. I just read in the paper that "Pete' Plunket passed away. I worked with her on the SST proposal. She is the engineer who specialized in aero-elasticity and figured out what happened on the Lockeed Electra wing failure. Two of my supervisors and Joe Sutter have passed and the list grows.

3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    He was the greatest airshow pilot who ever lived, in my opinion.

A couple of classic videos of Bob:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7R7jZmliGc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_mRy9g3c5w

I remember being at the Reno Air Races in the 1980s. Bob would start the race and pull up in his yellow P-51. If you looked up while the race was going on, he was way up there looping and rolling and flying around, just for the fun of it!

4. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I'm glad I got to see him fly his routine.

5. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    One of the best...

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Saw him in the 60s in LA area with my father, a WW-II P-47D pilot, who knew him. Great show pilot. Both gone now.

7. 360HB

360HB Formula Junior
    Owner

Sep 10, 2016
    A true legend. He is the reason why love I commander's.

8. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I saw him do his airshow routine, in both the P-51 and the Commanders, a number of times, and I never got tired of seeing it. Remember that in his younger days, he was a renowned test pilot. And now he's gone to join his fellow test pilots in the heavens. R.I.P., Bob!

9. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    When I went to my one and only Oshkosh fly-in in 1983, I was coming up from Fond du Lac on a Trailways Bus, and through the windshield I could see, up ahead, a P-51 doing aerobatics. As soon as I could tell that it was a yellow airplane, I knew who it was!

A class individual in every respect. I don't think they make them like that anymore.

10. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I believe that it was the late 50's when I first saw Hoover at the Paine Field air show. He did a roll on take off in an F-86. I cannot think of anyone else with the skill and nerve to do that.

11. CarterHendricks

Sep 26, 2005
  12. Gator

Gator Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 29, 2006
    Mesquite, NV
    Full Name:
    Darryl Van Dorn
    I, like Bob, as a teenager saw Hoover fly a F-86H at an air show at Barstow, Fl. in the late '50s. First time I had ever seen a plane engulfed in a cloud due to speed and weather conditions. His low level jet flying skills were awesome. I saw him fly many times but the last time was at a Pt. Mugu in the Shrike Commander.

That show not only had Hoover but the Blue Angles flying F-4s and a fly by of a SR-71. Also, there was a Clown act similar to one described many times by Bob (Parks not Hoover) in a Super Cub. Was that you Bob?

13. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    #14 Bob Parks, Oct 27, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Not me with a Cub in the act. Our act used an Aeronca Champ... but not a whole one.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

Sad..saw him in Reno many times and met him once still remember when they wouldn't certify him for his medical and he fought back...and along with Art Scholl were true masters of the air...RIP

15. CarterHendricks

Sep 26, 2005
    What we need is a new batch of "Let Bob Fly" posters, or better stickers.

--Carter

from the Times obit:

Mr. Hoover flew well into his 80s, but not before clashing with the authorities when he was 72, in 1994, when medical examiners from the Federal Aviation Administration declared him unfit to fly, saying that his “cognitive abilities” had diminished.

Mr. Hoover quickly recertified himself in Australia and began a legal battle back home, led by the defense lawyer F. Lee Bailey, who had befriended Mr. Hoover through a mutual love for flying helicopters.

Mr. Hoover emerged victorious 18 months later, and his United States license was restored. His campaign found support among fans who wrote thousands of letters. At the Oshkosh Fly-In and Air Show in Wisconsin, posters were displayed everywhere saying, “Let Bob Fly.”

16. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I just remembered a story that Hoover told us at one of the Abottsford shows. He stopped somewhere in the middle west to have the oxy system recharged in his airplane. The ramp guy tried to refill the system with a high pressure cart. Bob's airplane had a low pressure system in it and the tail was blown off. he borrowed another P-51 to finish his flight to Abottsford and had engine problems somewhere over mid Canada and landed on a small two lane road in the middle of farm country. He wanted to get the airplane off the road so he let it roll backwards onto a side road. He got chewed out by a little lady who had to maneuver around the P-51 to get by and told him that there was an airport in the next town that he should have used. He eventually got a citation from the sheriff for "Improper parking". Not to diminish anything about Hoover but the first engine out dead stick performance was sprung on scene by Chuck Lyford in a P-38 at Abottsford in 1968, I believe, and Lyford told Bob that he should do it in the Shrike and the next year Hoover included it in his show routines. I'll never forget the sight AND sound of the P-38 coming in from a long power off dive and then going into a loop, a roll, and banking off to the east to restart both engines. Hoover said that he practiced in the Shrike for several months in the Mojave , making sure that he got the routine down before doing it in the airshows.

17. DreamCarrera

DreamCarrera Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2006
    S.E. PA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    +1

I saw Hoover perform multiple times in the '80s at the Reading, PA airshow. I was only a kid at the time but I remember his performances very well. He was flying a twin-engined plane of generous proportions (the Commander?) and he made that plane do incredible things that it looked like it shouldn't have been able to do. Unfortunately, I don't think I got to see him fly a P-51.

18. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Saw him do his routines in both the P51 and Shrike..

Bob just had the "feel" right, he was a master of energy management and he did it all so smoothly...

One of the greatest of all time

19. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    This sentence from one of the articles posted blew my mind.

"In his 94 years, Hoover met Orville Wright, Eddie Rickenbacker, Charles Lindbergh, Jimmy Doolittle, Chuck Yeager, Jacqueline Cochran, and Neil Armstrong, spanning the golden age of flight."

20. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!

Damn!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. muk_yan_jong

muk_yan_jong Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2008
    Full Name:
    Brian McK
    Was just at the NAS PAX Air Expo yesterday and all performers paid tribute somehow (words or maneuvers) to Hoover. Lots of old soldiers with stories gathered groups to tell of airshows past and Warbird Radio (of course) detailed a lot of his exploits.

22. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    #24 375+, Oct 31, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  23. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Anyone know where it is now?