Supersonic F18 | FerrariChat

Supersonic F18

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by LouB747, Oct 26, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    Ok, not supersonic, but close. The sound, oh the sound!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGv6uKE85lE[/ame]

2. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    That's really cool to be able to actually see how fast sound moves.

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Lou- Transonic, most likely. If she had been supersonic, it would have blasted everyone's eardrums big time. You can pull contrails like that at fairly low airspeeds if the humidity is high enough and you pull 'g's. The higher the wing loading, the easier it is to make contrails. Co-located with F-4Es at Incirlik AFB for weapons training, the F-4 guys were really chapped that our F-111Fs were pulling contrails on the pitch out for overhead patterns and their F-4s could not. Much higher wing loading on the F-111, naturally. That was at 350 KCAS.

4. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    Yeah, I guess my title is misleading. I do state that it doesn't really go that fast in the description. If I put that in the title, no one would watch! All the non pilots around HB think it went supersonic anyway.

We get those on the 747 on takeoff all the time. Still cool though

5. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Looking at Wiki, the predecessor, the YF-17, could achieve Mach 2. But then, that would be an entirely different airplane/role, yes?

6. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

When I was a kid, they did supersonic fly bys at Kirtland AFB in the 60's. (Armed Forces Day.)

Plane (F-100 I think) would scream down the runway with no sound whatsoever, absolutely silent.

Then a couple seconds later ... BOOM!

No condensation/contrail, Albuquerque is way too dry. Relative humidity about 5%.