Rant | FerrariChat

Rant

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Texas Forever, Oct 30, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Yup, I got dem ol sitting in the airport blues. I get weather delays. I really do. If it ain't safe, I prefer to keep my feet firmly on the ground. My gripe is all it takes is one **** up and the whole system goes FUBAR. The airlines have commoditized travel to the point where I think cattle going to the slaughterhouse get a better trip. Frankly, I think they are missing a bet. I would gladly pay 25% to 50% more to be treated like a human being. The current delta between coach and first is way too high. Moreover, if increasing yield on all seats by 25% allows more slack, I'm all for it. I think I'm going to start a group called PETF. People for the ethical treatment of flyers.

2. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    The airlines didn't do this, their customers did. The public wanted cheaper and cheaper tickets...this is what you get. Buy first class tickets or charter, you can't blame the airlines. As for delays you be shocked at what it takes to make an operation tick. I'm amazed there any smooth running days at all.

3. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!

I get that. I used to be a production homebuilder. Some would gripe about something missing or whatever, I was always amazed when something actually worked.

But the delta on 1st is way too high. I might be willing to pay 50% over, but not 300%. Even then, 1st gets booked up by the jillion mile flyers. Thank God, I don't have to fly that much anymore.

I'm thinking there might be a market for an airline whose motto is, "we treat you like a human being."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Since I sold the plane I have been trying to fly 1st class much as I can. usually I only pay 20-30% over.

5. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!

20%-30%? Wow, is this over fly anytime coach or rock bottom coach?

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I just know every month when I go to Miami (usually get tickets 5-7 days before) that 1st class is usually only $125 more round trip.

7. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!

Sigh, it must be nice to have an airport that is more than a one trick pony. 😏

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    OK, I just looked for typical 3 day trip next week $400 regular and $680 First, so almost 70% more, but the $280 would still be worth it to me for round trip.

9. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Tex...Wife and I hate flying. If we he the time and the distance ain't too great, we drive. Or, just plain don't go.

The deal wetruck some years back is to fly less often, but fly first class. We're lucky that we don't often have to fly for work, so that helps. Try it once, and see if the price differential is worth it, to you...T

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #10 rob lay, Nov 1, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
    I'm really liking first class and still cheaper than owning and flying the plane that was equal to a house payment. in fact I still have room to do a couple charters a year for what I was paying. :D

first is nice short TSA line, board first, offload first, great service and treatment, and although all American flights the seats vary a bunch by type of plane. seats can be little bigger than coach all the way to full lay down compartments.

11. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!

So the $400 is not a super saver, right?

BTW, (thread hijack, well it's my thread) how do you like Miami? I'm a Florida boy (born in Key West). But I have always said South Florida sucks if you don't have a boat.

12. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    #12 FarmerDave, Nov 1, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I find this to be generally the case on American Airlines, only a few hundred more, if you're flexible on times you fly. And depending on how close to sold out. A couple hours can make a big difference. For example, flying to Phoenix next week:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. gday

gday Formula 3

Sep 10, 2004
    CA, USA - NSW, AUS
    Full Name:
    Mick
    Had to do a very quick check. With a bit of time searching, the biz or 1st could get a little better.

United sfo->syd: zoo class: $652, biz: $7439
    Qantas lax->syd: zoo class: $636 1st: $10241

-mick

14. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Kind of a "no-brainer" isn't it..

Last year's trip to US flew "premium economy" which if mem serves was $200-ish difference for a distinct improvement in leg room.. I'm normal height and build and that's tons of improvement for me and all I need frankly.. don't mind paying 10% diff but balk at 10x..

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    yep, I think only people paying that difference are with miles, no problem expensing, or **** you rich. I don't have that many miles, expense the trip but as CEO directly responsible for budget, and I'm not **** you rich. :D

I have noticed the overseas trips is where you see huge multiples.

16. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Being 6'4" and 230-ish, I need the extra leg room , so I try and get bulkhead when I can.
    I'm Gold on AA , so the minimal extra expense is worth it.

First Class, only when bumped or flights longer than 3 hours for me, as I do not need the extra " service " or food. I get 1 group boarding and have access to the Admirals Club with Citi Black , so other than not getting into the super Admirals club area, I don't think I'm missing much. ( Am I ? )

The direct flight from Maui to DFW was worth it ( several hundred more ) and the direct flight between Dubai and DFW is definitely worth the bump in class... but with a $1000 premium.

FWIW , most of my flights are under the 3 hour mark, I would have a different opinion if a majority of my flights were longer.

S

17. gday

gday Formula 3

Sep 10, 2004
    CA, USA - NSW, AUS
    Full Name:
    Mick
    For a number of years, I averaged around 160,000 flight miles per year (mainly US domestic flights) so it allowed me to snag upgrades often with my miles. But a couple of years ago I screwed up. Got me and the wife a nice biz upgrade for sfo <-> syd. Sleep flat seats etc etc. Result: completely ruined her for zool class travel on that long haul flight ;-)

-mick

18. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    These days, unless it is a quick trip to Vegas I'm paying to be in front of the curtain. I try to save where I can but I'm paying whatever it is. It's not just the flight, its checking luggage, going through the short TSA line, and access to lounges.

19. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Steve, you're not missing much not having annual Admirals club, unless you end up with long layovers frequently. Better to pay per day. For someone who is gold, Admirals club runs $400+ per year, but a day pass is $59. On 16ish trips this year I've only had 2 layovers worthy of using Admirals club and guess what - one of the airports didn't have an Admirals club.

20. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Hawaiian treats everybody well. I know, small market, but great people. I always fly to work in coach, to the mainland, and back home in first because I'm dead tired and love the service and comfort. First is usually a $200 upgrade for the leg...a good deal to me.

21. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I used either them or another local airline for an inter-island hop and it was a refreshing experience.. walk out onto the tarmac to board, take pics and ground staff posed and smiled.. cabin crew did an awesomely funny safety talk..

Compare to the grim version at home you'd think taking a quick fun pic while walking on the tarmac was a threat to entire airline industry based on the reaction and stern talking to by the waiting staff was any measure.

Yay Hawaii.. love your laid back style while getting stuff done.

22. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Oh, I have Admirals Club access, I just don't have the " inner" Admirals Club access
    When we had a layover in London last month was the first time I ever noticed a club within the club ( There was a sliding glass wall that the receptionist opened remotely for a guest )

And I'm with you, the only time I've wanted to use them have been on layovers or when a flight is delayed.

S

23. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    $85 lets you bypass the TSA lines, and some American Express cards (example: platinum) will pay the $85. Free access to Delta clubs, too.