Seat sliders are apparently no joking matter | FerrariChat

Seat sliders are apparently no joking matter

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by FarmerDave, Oct 31, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    I learned a lesson last week when joking about the half hour delay we had regarding a co-pilot seat slider malfuction.

It was pointed out to me by a pilot friend that all it takes is a seat slider malfunction to cause a really dangerous control issue. I felt a bit sheepish, I should have realized that the seat really is a part of the control system. Interested to hear the stories of all the experienced folks here that might have encountered problems like this.

As for me,, Back to complaining about the legroom in coach :-D

2. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    I had my seat in an old Cessna 152 slide all the way back after I rotated on takeoff. Honestly, it wasn't a huge deal. My arms were fully outstretched and I couldn't see over the instruments, so I just flew like I was under the hood (absent any ruder inputs). Once everything was stable and trimmed for climb properly, I got the seat pulled forward and locked.

I was with an instructor (Darren) who LOVED these little unplanned "teaching moments." Darren didn't even flinch and never reached for the controls. I cannot remember if it was a seat rail defect or the latching mechanism; one or the other was replaced when we returned from our training flight.

Mark

3. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
  4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I think bad Cessna seat tracks killed some people.

5. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    I had my seat back break on initial climb (c172). It was a little bothereome.

6. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    The PT-19 has a seat height adjustment with a lot of travel. One of my friends had the lift fail on take off and found himself in the bottom of the cockpit. He some how managed to execute a climb out and got the adjustment to hold until he could land.

7. sigar

sigar F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2005
    NorCal
    Yep. A lot of owners have therefore permanently modified them to be fixed in position and no longer slide.

8. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Seat coming loose and sliding is no joking matter. The natural instinct is hang on to whatever is in your hands and that did result in a stall/spin events when the seat slipped on takeoff.

The hardest thing to do would have been to let go of the controls and let the airplane fly itself until you got back in position...

There was an AD on Cessna seat tracks back in the mid-80's calling for specific inspections and removal and replacement if the track was out of limits. I had to have mine done on my 182 at the time. The problem IIRC wias that the holes would ovalize and then the tracks would crack and then the seat could slide back without warning.

Again going from memory but the AD was expensive and as many AD's are, it was overkill, since the real problem was just that the tracks did tend to wear out and should have been replaced periodically..

9. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Didn't the seat rail about kill Cessna?

What are the details of this Cessna crash and lawsuit? - Straight Dope Message Board

Cessna 185 $480 million seat-rail lawsuit! - PPRuNe Forums

Cessna's Seat Rails

They installed inertia reels under the seats as a fail safe. I'll never forget getting the plane out of annual and once in the hanger having this device come out in my hand because the idiots did not put the bolt back in it. There excuse? Well, we hire these 8 buck an hour kids, and for the price I'm charging that's...bla bla bla. As Trump said...You're fired!

10. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    The older 172s I've flown have the safety latch on the floor so it will only go so far without engaging it.

11. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I had a seat lock malfunction........petrified skittles had lodged into some of the track holes. I only slid back a few inches but it was enough to pucker a little bit.

The MX corrective action was funny. "Removed pilots Skittles from seat track. Seat performs normally."