Aviation Incidents from Kathryn's Report | FerrariChat

Aviation Incidents from Kathryn's Report

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Juan-Manuel Fantango, Nov 17, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Kathryn's Report

They were on a burning plane. Now they’re suing for ‘physical and psychological’ harm

Late last month, passengers on a Chicago to Miami flight were sent hurtling down evacuation slides from an American Airlines Boeing 767 after the plane’s engine caught fire, engulfing the runway in billowing black smoke.

Now, 18 passengers — including three from South Florida — are suing the airline, Boeing and GE, the engine’s manufacturer, for the injuries caused by the allegedly “defective and unreasonably dangerous” aircraft, the suit says. The lawsuit was filed in Illinois circuit court, where the incident took place.

On the afternoon of Oct. 28, 170 crew and passengers on Flight 383 from Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport to Miami International Airport were forced to evacuate when the engine on the right side of the plane burst into flames on the tarmac. Footage from the scene shows passengers quickly evacuating on slides on the front and rear left side of the plane and running into a grassy area while smoke and fire rise in the background. The plane’s right wing can be seen melting and drooping.

About 20 people suffered minor injuries, officials said.

According to the lawsuit, the plaintiffs suffered “personal and bodily injuries, both physical and psychological in nature” and either have or will sustain “future medical bills, lost earnings, disability, disfigurement, and pain and suffering and emotional distress,” as a result of the accident.

The suit claims GE sold the defective engine to Boeing, which was negligent in “designing, manufacturing, assembling, and selling the accident aircraft as as not to cause injury to plaintiffs.” It also alleges that American Airlines failed to maintain, service, inspect and repair the aircraft appropriately enough to avoid the accident.

American Airlines declined to comment, citing pending litigation.

The plaintiffs are represented by Chicago-based Wisner Law Firm, which focuses solely on representing people injured or killed in aviation accidents. The firm recently resolved a similar case for an undisclosed amount involving more than 100 passengers and crew on a September 2015 British Airways. Like the Chicago to Miami flight, the British Airways flight involved a faulty GE engine on a Boeing plane that failed and caught fire at Las Vegas’ McCarran International Airport.

“GE and Boeing and American, as well, need to take a harder look at this problem because I’m concerned it’s a recurring problem,” said Floyd Wisner, principal at the law firm. “It’s not just a rare occurrence.”

The law firm expects to add other passengers as plaintiffs, as well as other parties, such as material suppliers or component manufactures, as defendants if certain parts of the engine are found as contributing to the fire.

Read more here: Raleigh, NC Breaking News, Sports, Weather & More | NewsObserver.com & News & Observer

2. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech
    I think the bigger and more concerning recurring problem is too many ambulance chasing lawyers...

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    And this surprises people because?

4. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Boy! I'm really worried now because I worked at Boeing for 45 years and had something to do with the 707, 720, 727, 767, and 747. They used engines from GE and we were sloppy as hell in what we did in designing those pieces of junk that have flown millions of safe accident free miles and the 737 used the GE engine and that airplane had the number 7 in its model number so that makes me complicit in any accident that should befall any Boeing airplane from 1958 to 2018 that has the number 7 in its identification. Will this crap ever stop! How in hell can the Boeing Company be charged with negligent aircraft design because an engine built by a reputable company failed after thousands of hours of reliable operation?? Every successful aircraft engine in history has had failures but it has seldom been from negligence. I better not say anymore our I might get sued.

5. FERRARI-TECH

FERRARI-TECH Formula 3

Nov 9, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ferrari-tech

See Mr Parks ... there you go using logic and reason and being practical... you clearly didn't go to law school....

In this day and age the Boeing and GE executive will just be able to claim their feelings have been hurt and go to a "safe place" ;)

6. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    My comment was the state of our society and not the quality of Boeing or any other airplane.

Stanley Tool Company makes perfectly good screw drivers but the sad truth is a significant percentage of the cost of buying one is product liability coverage to protect themselves from some idiot suing because he poked it in his eye.

FERRARI-TECH likes this.
  7. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Doesn't surprise anyone, I don't think.

It does keep my lawyer son (who represents insurance companies for a law firm in Los Angeles) and many more like him busy day and night.

They'll settle out of court for some ridiculous sum, but probably a less ridiculous sum than a jury would award.

If this Wisner guy meant what he said about making the planes safer, he'd seek a settlement that requires, I dunno, more stringent inspections, or anti bird devices, or some other thing to actually help reduce engine failures, rather than big bucks for himself and his clients.

D

8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I do think the aviation industry has made great strides on their own to make airliners more safe and more reliable. Big smoking holes in the ground are not good for business. I do think we have gone backwards a bit in pilot quality and maintenance quality and not really seeing any moves to improve that.

9. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Boeing was negligent in “designing, manufacturing, assembling, and selling the accident aircraft as not to cause injury to plaintiffs.”???? Give me a break! :mad:

Next, they'll come after me for being one of the people who designed that "negligent" aircraft? (And Bob, too.) :mad::mad:

10. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Can this actually make it to court or will it be thrown out? How can one make so many statements of negligence without proof? You can't go around claiming things without anything to back it up and actually get it seen in front of a judge, right?

11. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Apparently, that was an original from 1917 that they had restored. A shame for the loss of life (2) and the historic WW-I trainer.

12. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Any bets of his clients are also the ones that saw fit to shoot videos, selfies and grab there bags during the evac?

13. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    What makes it more upsetting to me is that on this past Tuesday evening, Ron Alexander spoke before the Atlanta chapter of the American Institute of Aeronautics & Astronautics at our monthly dinner meeting in Marietta. He spoke about the early history of the Atlanta Airport, which Candler Field is seeking to emulate, and gave us a photo tour of his facility.

The two aircraft in the collection that he spoke the most about were the DC-3 (a 1939 original, and thus not a converted C-47) and the Jenny (a 1917 original, though he admitted it didn't have many original parts left). The Jenny was Hispano-Suiza powered, by the way.

14. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    You beat me to it, Jim. I noticed that it looked like a Hisso up front. It seems that always before a crash there is either a witness who sees the pilot fighting the controls or a pre-crash fire. Maybe there was a fire problem with this one .

15. f4udriver

f4udriver Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    Central Illinois
    Full Name:
    Mike G
    I purchased my C3b Stearman from Ron. He was a class act and really did a tremendous amount for the antique movement.

16. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    a witness was reported to have seen fire during take off...

I have difficulty with the rational of pulling an aircraft off a display stand... then go fly it without preparation... although properly restored doesn't mean the aircraft was ready for flight by just removing it from display where it had been for some time... too many things to dry out, loosen, allowing for leaks and other disasters to sneak in...

17. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    link?

18. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #19 Juan-Manuel Fantango, Nov 21, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    It was my understanding from Mr. Alexander's presentation last Tuesday that the Jenny was flown quite regularly. Have you seen information to the contrary?

20. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    That's what I was trying to find out. Didn't see anything in the OP which suggested otherwise.

21. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
  22. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    the link in the first post refers to witnesses

local accounts made mention of the Jenny was brought out from the museum to be flown...

regardless a nearly 100 year old plane is not flown nearly enough to verify the effects of non use / display status may bring... unfortunately the old cliche' about "assume" may have come into play

23. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Years ago a friend asked me if I would fly his Navion to a show some distance away. He had more airplanes than pilots to get his equipment to the event. I almost accepted the offer until I realized that it had been a while since I had flown one so I turned it down. Two family members agreed to fly it and shortly after takeoff the cockpit filled with white smoke and when the canopy was opened, it burst into flame. A misting hydraulic leak in the landing gear retraction system was blamed for the fire that ended in two fatalities.

24. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I know of a lot of cars and a number of planes in museums that are used regularly. Museum display status in no way indicates lack of airworthiness in the absence of supporting evidence. Lots of inherent hazards in operating any machine that is a collection of old parts but it is done everyday buy those that go to great lengths to minimize the hazards and not always with the desired results. To blame them with no supporting evidence is very premature.