Greg Boyington | FerrariChat

Greg Boyington

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Tcar, Nov 22, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

#1 Tcar, Nov 22, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
    Friend was talking to me about Boyington. He had talked to him before a radio interview some years ago here.

He was a POW in Japan for a year plus. Said that he actually felt better when he was a POW because there was no alcohol in his 'diet'. (BS?)

He was also aparently a draftsman at Boeing for a while after the war.

Wonder if Bob ran across him.

I knew he also flew P-40's for Chennalult's Flying Tigers. My wife's father did also... left college to go.

I met him at an airshow here; he autographed his book for me.

I confess that I've seen every episode of "Baa Baa Black Sheep"... knowing it was mostly fiction.
    The planes were fantastic.

2. GPM

GPM Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2015
    Vancouver BC
    you're lucky, he was a true "in your face" guy,,

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Met him a couple of times. He lived near a friend in Fresno CA. Also read all I have ever found on him. Interesting character, pretty out of control his whole life but a hell of a combat pilot. Never heard the part about working for Boeing but if true I suspect it was not a happy ending. Good example of someone the military has no need for except in time of war. He cheated death a number of times. He must have had an angel because it is a true miracle he died of natural causes at 76. He looked 98.

4. GPM

GPM Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2015
    Vancouver BC
    the next Secretary of State, can you imagine that,,

5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I never knew that Boynton was at Boeing. I didn't start there until 1950 and I would imagine that he was there before me. I can't imagine him being a draftsman...for very long.

6. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

I think I was wrong... he probably worked for Boeing before the war, after college.

From a bio:

"Boyington attended the University of Washington, where he graduated with a B.S. in Aeronautical Engineering. He would then go on to work for the Boeing Company
    as a draftsman and engineer."

7. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Bob,

https://web.archive.org/web/20110615072415/http://www.tecom.usmc.mil/HD/Whos_Who/Boyington_G.htm

It was in 1935 that he went to work for Boeing, according to this biographical notice.
    A french source (!) give him as having qualified for his degree in Mechanical Engineering from the University of the state of Washington in 1934.

Rgds

8. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
  9. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, I have no clue for the United States of America, but the french Institute for Aeronautical Engineers opened in 1909, so it would seem possible indeed...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89cole_nationale_sup%C3%A9rieure_de_l%27a%C3%A9ronautique_et_de_l%27espace

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Institut_sup%C3%A9rieur_de_l%27a%C3%A9ronautique_et_de_l%27espace

Rgds

10. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Well, that means there is no way that Bob was there when Boyington was.

Bob's pic on the back of his book, taken in '32, shows a kid in overalls on the farm with his sister, that looks about 10 years old.

11. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Using my E6B, the Cray Computer, and my hand held calculator I figured out that I was 6 years old when that photo was shot. I was born in 1926. Where that farm was is now some of the most spendy real estate in the country and I wondered what happened to the log cabin that was in the barnyard. It was built in 1860 to house slaves.

12. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I figured out that picture was taken in 1933 so I was seven years old then.

13. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    A&A Quick Facts | Aeronautics and Astronautics

14. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
  15. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

When I met Boyington, he did NOT strike me as an aeronautical engineer type.

Did not even have a slipstick (sliderule, kids) in his pocket.

16. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    He was one of my childhood heroes. I read his autobiography several times and have seen every episode of the TV show many times. I recall going as him to 7th grade "hero" day. I borrowed a naval aviator leather jacket and Captain's hat from my neighbor, a retired naval officer, to wear to school that day for my presentation as Major Greg Boyington. I had poster boards put together with Boyington's history and pictures of the P40 and Corsair that he flew. I was one popular kid in that outfit on that day at school. This thread brought back a nice memory from that day nearly 40 years ago.