More Blue Angels | FerrariChat

More Blue Angels

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Admiral Goodwrench, Dec 20, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Admiral Goodwrench

Admiral Goodwrench Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    #1 Admiral Goodwrench, Dec 20, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
    With only N3N-3 time under my belt the following video gives me the creepy crawlies!

Best regards,

Robert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6SsB3JYqQg

PS If you view it in Google Chrome, then you can use the 3D video effect.

2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You know what's cool about the Blues; there's little military value in what they do, but it is cool they do it because they can.

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Close formation during flight through weather is very similar and is used by nearly all fighter aircrews. Helps maintain flight integrity when visibility is very low. Occasionally, all of us have gone lost wingman during flight in heavy clouds, but the tighter you are, the easier it is to maintain contact. The Blue Angels and Thunderbirds just do it a bit more precisely than the average fighter pilot after hours and hours of practice.

The training also comes in handy during aerial refueling, where you have to fly relatively precise formation on the tanker for the USAF, or have to make precise contact with the drogue for the USN and USMC.

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #4 Rifledriver, Dec 21, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
    Son of one of our neighbors just got picked to fly for them next season. Moms worried because it is dangerous. I reminded her he could be flying combat missions in Syria. Besides, just operating off a carrier ain't exactly like being an accountant.

5. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Like most of us and you especially being a Navy brat, I have been watching them since I was a kid. Watched them at NAS Alameda. They and the Thunderbirds really are good PR for those in and out of uniform. As cheap as I am about my tax dollars it is worth it in the big picture.

I remember them flying F4's and the announcer called them the loudest air show on earth.
    That was true.

6. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I saw them when they were flying F6F's and F8F's back in the late 40's. I believe that flying close formation in a prop job is much more difficult than with the jets.

7. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Again, I think it is cool they do this, just to do it. One of the biggest chicken**** things Obama did was shutting down to blues, that and stealing a shuttle from Houston.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I'll add that to the long list of stupid ***** he did. I am running out of space on my hard drive keeping track of it though. Good thing he is almost gone.

9. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I am sure it is and as much as I am more interested in recips in general the sound of 12 J79's buzzing the field was pretty cool.

10. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I once saw a formation team of nine Tiger Moths in England - assuredly the slowest formation team around!

11. Admiral Goodwrench

Admiral Goodwrench Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
  12. G.Irish

G.Irish Rookie

Mar 1, 2016
    I'm a huge fan of the Blue Angels too but bottom line is that Congress and Obama had a big show down over the budget because Congress wanted to enact big budget cuts. The larger set of cuts with the sequester was intended to force both sides to compromise so painful cuts wouldn't go through, but ultimately no one blinked. The result is that a bunch of people got cuts where they didn't want them and the military was forced to tighten their belts.

The Blue Angels and Thunderbirds are great ambassadors for military aviation but they are not essential elements to waging war. The DoD could have allocated the budget to keep them flying at air shows that year but they made the correct choice to spend the funds in more essential areas.

13. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    #13 spicedriver, Dec 22, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017