727 down in Columbia | FerrariChat

727 down in Columbia

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by beast, Dec 21, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
  2. dmaxx3500

dmaxx3500 Formula 3

Jul 19, 2008
    they would have been better off shutting down and locking-up the brakes and trying to stop

3. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I'm confused - were they attempting to land or take off? It seems as if they were trying to take off and didn't get lift for some reason (weight?)...

Prayers to those on board, terribly tragic. :(

4. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    Trying to take off. It's apparently a spectacle watching that plane try to take off each time because it barely takes off in time. Kind of leads you to wonder if there's a pattern of the plane being overloaded.

In one of the videos you can see flames coming from the engine after it goes past the runway (likely hitting something). I can't imagine that helped their case any.

Tragic. :(

5. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    It was a cargo flight taking off.

The first thing i thought of was flaps/slats because ive seen iy before on aircrash investigation. Looks to be extended to me and the engines sure are humming.

RIP to the crew.

6. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    They were taking off. That flight was a local favorite to come and watch because it was always so close to the fence on takeoff-- there are other videos on youtube from days when they made it.

But, that close (and probably way closer than it should have been), it wouldn't take much of a mistake to bring ruin. Maybe they were a little bit heavier than usual, or it was a bit warmer, or they had a compressor stall on #2... just about anything.

7. wizzard

wizzard Karting

Nov 9, 2014
    How do you compute accelerate stop distance in Spanish?

8. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Says 'takeoff' in the OP and 2-3 times in the YouTubes...

Ingested metal fencing into engines?

Wonder if the gear was damaged and caused a hydraulic leak.

9. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    It seems to me that at least 3 different people were filming this and a rather large crowd was waiting for it. Why?

10. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    The answer is in at least two posts above. This flight was notorious for passing very, very low over the fence and road. It was a local spectacle, and people liked to come see it. For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syl3tCqKbSs

Just a suggestion, try and read the posts in a thread, especially a short one like this, before posting.

11. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    From what I can detect. The horizontal stab was in full nose up trim as well the elevator, the flaps looked to be in take off setting but the airplane was not able to respond. To me that indicates an over-load. If the number 2 engine experienced a compressor stall I think it would have been recorded in the video. So, they either didn't have enough power or had too much of a load.

12. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

I used to park (with many, many others) at the end of the runway at Denver's old Stapleton airport and watch planes land/TO... there was a road around the end of the runway fence just like that one.

13. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I watched it again now that I have made it to the hotel for the day. Something inside doesn't look right. That plane does not want to lift. Even when it overruns the strip it looks like it goes straight over the road lifting shortly after.

Curious as to what the team finds regarding this incident.

14. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Could you believe that person was alive on the ground at the crash site? Was that a crew member? About 3:50 in the video.

15. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    That's what I was saying, the lift did not exceed the weight. Therefore it remained ground-bound until it gained a little more speed.It's going to stay on the ground until the speed and lift is at the point to get it off the ground. Like previous posts pointed out, could have been an engine problem like compressor stall, flame-out, too heavy a load, and /or improper load balance. The airplane appeared to have all the controls in the proper settings but on any jet with everything dirty, it takes a lot of power to make it all work and if you have got it too heavy or the weight is in the wrong place, it ain't gonna fly.

16. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    What video are you referring to?

17. Bisonte

Bisonte F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2007
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Yeah, you could tell that airplane was barely flying. Throw in that sharp turn trying to get back to the airport (around 1:00 into the video), and they didn't stand a chance. I'm surprised it came around as far as it did before they went down.

18. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

19. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Can't imagine what happens to a security fence topped with barbed wire when a large jet goes through it. Some of those people are very lucky on the ground.

20. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
  21. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

#23 Tcar, Dec 24, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
    Thank you...that worked (got a 'Forbidden' note before.)

Flap on the R side was ripped off. Would that result in a hydraulic leak?

Looks like they got the gear up.

22. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    The flaps and slats are driven by a torque tube that runs along the rear spar with differential gear boxes to run the " endless ballbearing" screws that operate the flaps.

23. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I think, given the amount of time they were airborne, that a hydraulic leak was the least of their problems.