Skunk Works | FerrariChat

Skunk Works

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Tcar, Dec 21, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

#1 Tcar, Dec 21, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
    Just read this on the 'Wings Over the Rockies Air Museum' FB page. Short bio of Kelly Johnson.

Where the name 'Skunk Works' came from; didn't know this:

"In 1956 he (Kelly Johnson) became Vice President of Research and Development and two years later became the Vice President of Advanced Development Projects (ADP).

The first ADP offices were close to a plastics factory, and the stench from the plastic made life at the offices unbearable. One of the engineers began answering the phone with “Lockheed Skunk Works.” The term quickly caught on, and the Lockheed ADP department is still known by the name today; although, the term is now widely used to describe all secret research and development projects."

2. airborne

airborne Karting

Feb 19, 2013
    Northern VA
    I worked there in the 80's and 90's. The accepted lore (at least within the company) was that the name originated with the Lil' Abner comic strip of the time (early 40's). ADP was always headquartered in Building 311 right next to Burbank airport... Plant B6 if I recall. I can tell you we followed Kelly's 14 rules pretty well - and it was a great culture to work in.