Let's Talk Choppers | FerrariChat

Let's Talk Choppers

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by sigar, Dec 22, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sigar

sigar F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2005
    NorCal
    So, up to this point I've been a fixed wing guy (2,500hr ATP, SEL MEL, SES). I'm kind of getting the itch to try something different and challenge myself at the same time. I'm thinking it might be time to try my hand at one of them whirly birds. But, when I do something I tend to do it with a splash, I see a new acquisition in my future. I have a business use (tending to my orchards and development projects) which is a mission suited pretty well for helicopter. They are spaced far enough to be a pain by car, but too close for airplane travel. I'm invested in the Central Valley and Lake Tahoe area. Due to the elevation in Tahoe, I imagine the heli needs to be pretty capable. I also need seating for 5. Will the R66 or Bell 505 allow me to transport a payload of 800#s to a cruise altitude of 12,500 and hover, land and take off at an elevation of 7,500ft? On paper I believe they will, but is this asking too much of these aircraft? I assume an R66 or Bell 505 is too much bird to train in? An R22 to R66 transition seems to make sense (plus I'd most likely buy an R66 and then move to the Bell 505 after the 505 has had a few years of depreciation and proven safety record).

2. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    I believe the R66 will meet your stated requirements, although why anyone would take one up to 12.5 is beyond me. We don't take our Navy birds above 10K as we're required to have oxygen above that level. I've never felt comfortable at that altitude, and that's in an H60 that weighs 10 tons!

As for training, we had Jet Rangers and they were great to learn in. But I can't imagine a 505 being a cost effective choice for your stated mission. The 66 isn't that much better.

But if I could afford it, I'd sure take a page or two from your plan!

3. sigar

sigar F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2005
    NorCal
    Regarding 12,500, I have to traverse the Sierras. The peaks are up to around 12K, which I wouldn't be overflying, but I will need to top at least 9K terrain to avoid stretching the legs too far. I assume with downdrafts, etc. I need at least 2,000' clearance. Am I wrong about that?

4. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Hard for me to say, although that seems a bit much. But consider the source: I always cross through valleys at no more than 500' AGL!

5. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I would be very cautious in flying helicopters around the Sierras, unless you really know what you are doing. Strong up and down drafts and helicopters aren't a great mix.

6. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Neither is icing. Ask me how I know....

7. sigar

sigar F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2005
    NorCal
    I have that sense too. I'm trying to figure out if this is a reasonably safe mission, and what equipment is necessary. There is a local guy that flies sight seeing trips in Tahoe in a R44. But just because you can do it, doesn't mean you should.

8. Jacob Potts

Jacob Potts Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2008
    Pueblo, CO
    Full Name:
    Jacob Potts
    Don't even concern yourself with helicopters! You need something safe, reliable and thoroughly tested.

I have the perfect solution for you, right here:

[​IMG]