525 down in Lake Erie | FerrariChat

525 down in Lake Erie

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Alden, Dec 31, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
  2. BubblesQuah

BubblesQuah F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte
    I believe that date is actually when he received the CJ4 type rating, not his PPL.

3. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    I wish people would stop relying upon Katherine's Report; it is really badly fact checked.

Mark

4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    It's just a compendium of links and quotes. I don't think they claim to do any fact checking, so you need to judge the credibility based on the underlying sources-- which are easy to identify.

In the case of this accident, very sad. RIP.

5. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    #5 Alden, Dec 31, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
    I know, one report said 35 foot waves instead of 35 mph winds.

Regardless, it it very sad for two families and a lot of other folks who worked with and admired the pilot and others on board.

Condolences and RIP.
    Alden

6. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    I think it is the best source of "immediate" reporting on an aviation incident based on eye witness or video. The pictures, links, videos, are all there. And in a sad way, when there are fatalities, they bring in the human element showing who these lost souls were. Of course it is the nature of news reporting to be sometimes very inaccurate.

7. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    I'm not sure why this is such a big story. Lots of small pieces and a passenger's bag apparently washed up over the weekend.

8. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Apparently this was the equivalent of a $100 hamburger run, but in a jet flown by the owner. Other than the 'cool' factor it would have been quicker (door-to-door) to hire a limo to travel between Columbus and Cleveland to watch the Cavs. RIP

9. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
  10. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    RIP Very sad.
    J

11. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #11 jcurry, Jan 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  12. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    The ceiling was somewhere around 2600' that night. My wag is he got distracted for some reason, kept climbing through his assigned altitude and flew into the water.
    A VFR departure to the south from rwy 24 at bkl has you turn right and cross midfield at 2000'.

13. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

I wondered why he turned right out over the lake.

14. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #14 Juan-Manuel Fantango, Jan 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Kathryn's report has some good info here as cut and past illistrates:

An initial review of Air Traffic Control (ATC) transmissions between the pilot and the Midwest ATC Federal Contract Tower at BKL revealed that the pilot requested the IFR clearance at 2247, followed by the taxi clearance at 2251. At 2256, the pilot informed the BKL tower controller that he was holding short of the runway and ready for takeoff. The controller subsequently cleared the pilot for takeoff and instructed him to turn right to a heading of 330 degrees and maintain 2,000 feet msl after departure. The pilot acknowledged the clearance. After takeoff, the controller instructed the pilot to contact departure control; however, no further communications were received from the pilot. After multiple attempts to contact the pilot were unsuccessful, the controller initiated search and rescue procedures.

later report

According to the NTSB report, the air traffic controller at Burke Lakefront Airport cleared Fleming for takeoff at 10:56 p.m. and instructed him to turn right and maintain an altitude of 2,000 feet. Fleming acknowledged the clearance. After takeoff, the controller told Fleming to contact departure control. Fleming didn’t respond.

The report said position data indicated the plane reached an altitude of approximately 2,925 feet, nearly 1,000 feet higher than what the air traffic controller had instructed. About five seconds later, the plane quickly descended. The final data point was recorded at 10:57 p.m., showing the plane’s altitude at just 775 feet.

More:

CLEVELAND (AP) - The pilot of a plane that crashed into Lake Erie last month received his certification to fly that type of aircraft just 21 days before the fatal crash, according to the National Transportation Safety Board's preliminary report.

Federal Aviation Administration records indicated Fleming purchased the plane in October and the most recent maintenance activity occurred on Dec. 17.

The records also revealed Fleming did not become certified to fly the plane until Dec. 8 when he successfully completed the FAA practical test. His initial Cessna 525 training was done in the accident airplane. He then completed a simulator-based recurrent training course at FlightSafety International on Dec. 17.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
  16. sigar

sigar F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2005
    NorCal
    #16 sigar, Jan 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
    He was straight out of Flightsafety. That's not good for their reputation. Sounds like he got distracted and was behind the plane. Easy to do in an unfamiliar plane. I chalk this one up to exceeding personal limitations prior to competency. Night with (relatively) low ceilings and a new plane are not a good combination. RIP

17. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    It's not that complicated. Sure, there may have been some sort of mechanical failure, in which case the NTSB will duly let us know.

Assuming there was not, the facts, as known are:

1) The weather was quite nasty. Fairly low ceiling, high winds, icy, and no doubt quite bumpy.

2) The departure is challenging. You have to make a sharp turn, level off early (only about 30 seconds after takeoff in a jet), and keep the speed down to 200 knots.

3) The pilot was very inexperienced in the CJ4, and from what anyone can tell, in jets in general (although he did own and fly a Citation Mustang for about a year). This may have been his first solo trip in the CJ4, in fact.

4) The pilot did his type rating in the airplane, then went to a recurrent at FlightSafety. He did not do a full type rating course at FlightSafety.

5) On this takeoff, the airplane overshot the assigned altitude by 1,000 feet.

So, knowing all these facts, where does this lead us?

To a bumpy, nasty departure, in darkness. A somewhat unfamiliar cockpit. A very short amount of time. Oh, crap, look at the altitude! Why isn't the autopilot on? Look at the speed! Turn... get back down, pull the power back... airplane going everywhere in the bumps... wham.

I'm glad it wasn't me.

18. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Has there been any info released from the CVR?

Was there a FDR on the plane?

Has the wreck been found? Understand it may be in many pieces... pretty hard impact.

19. Bisonte

Bisonte F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2007
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    It had a CVR, and a FDR was an available option. They recovered three of the six bodies and the CVR, but there's no mention of an FDR in the preliminary report, so it likely didn't have one.

https://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/brief.aspx?ev_id=20161230X91745&key=1

20. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

I saw that they have suspended the search, for bodies, at least.

Weather and water conditions are poor. Visibility in the water is measured in inches.

21. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I'm not an IFR rated pilot and I was going over in my head what I would do in this situation and all I can think of would be compass, rate of climb, altimeter, airspeed. I know about the VSI and some of the other gadgets but Don opened up a much clearer description of how things gang up on you when you are behind the airplane . I have a better understanding of what it's like. I remember an pilot's mantra, " Don't let the airplane get to the destination before you do."

22. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Many autopilots will kick off in heavy turbulence. They just can't keep up. I've always thought single pilot jets were a bad idea in most cases.

23. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    They just require a different kind of pilot...

24. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I don't think it has an FDR, although I don't know if that has been confirmed.

The ProLine 21 avionics package in the CJ4 keeps track of a whole bunch of parameters, and stores them on a datacard. Not an FDR, by any means, but still a lot of information. I believe they did recover the datacard.

25. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

I just read they recovered the CVR and the ELT transmitter.

No mention of a FDR.

Also parts of 3 seats with 3 sets of body parts.