Bailing out at 2000 mph and other stories | FerrariChat

Bailing out at 2000 mph and other stories

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by bitzman, Jan 5, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Yup-pilot told about it at one of the two previous "Blackbird Days" at March AFB in Riverside. I've been waiting to see when the next 2-day show-and-tell is and found the notice today

SR-71 Weekend, April 1-2, 2017 - submitted by Rich Graham
    On Saturday and Sunday, April 1-2, March Field Air Museum will be hosting several panel discussions with SR-71 crews. There will also be cockpit presentations, and walkarounds. More info at this link: Up Coming Events At March Field Air Museum.

In case you don't recall this bird, it was flat blsck, titanium bodied, flew at Mach 3, overflew Hanoi lots during Vietnam..lots of crazy stories and the audience asks very detailed questions. unfortunately the plane is inside, I believe. They used to let you sit in it for a picture..would love to have had taken that picture so I could tell my buddies "yeh, I used to fly but I can't talk 'bout it." That would be akin to a picture of yourself on the hood on that pit road at LeMans driving by the cheering crowds after winning the 24 heures du mans and saying "yeh, I used to race but..."

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The A-12 and SR-71 both had problems with compressor stalls in turns. That could lead to a violent yaw and structural damage, followed by ejection.

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #3 Rifledriver, Jan 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    I thought I had read somewhere they had a pitch stability problem at the upper limits of their possible speed resulting in the loss of a couple of aircraft and they limited permissible speed as a result. Ring a bell? Or am I confusing it with what you just described? As I recall it was up at M3.5 or so. Had the power to do that but not the airframe.

4. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    At first it was almost impossible for the driver to fight for control when one engine stalled but gradually they worked out a system where the second engine cut power to give the pilot a fighting chance. By the way the pilot who bailed out at top speed survived because he was following the earth's 1400 mph rotation, so he really only bailed out at 700 mph. Plus you eject with a chair so that got him down the first 50,000 feet or so before he popped the chute. One of the most avoidable accidents but one they didn't anticipate was when the drone pitched down when they launched it from atop the SR71 and caused the SR71 to crash. One of the drones is on display at March outside every day.

5. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Is this the beginning of some kind of joke? Like...it really hurts to skydive in the rain because you hit the pointy end of the raindrops coming down...

6. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #6 tazandjan, Jan 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    Bitzman- Anything less than about mach 15 is obeying great circle rules in the atmospheric system and is unaffected by earth rotation except for being in the atmosphere that is rotating at the same speed as the Earth. If you fly over the poles at mach 3.5, where rotation speed is zero, you see exactly the same environment (except maybe temperature) as at the equator, where rotation speed is ~1500 fps or 900 knots. Above mach 15 or ~15,000 fps, you start seeing a compromise between great circle and orbital mechanics systems present at the ~25,000 fps seen in LEO, where Earth rotation is a huge factor for anything flying in the atmosphere.

To calculate rotation velocity at the equator, take the Earth's circumference in statute miles, 24,900 miles and divide by 24 hours, giving you ~1038 mph (900 knots). Rotation velocity varies from that high to zero at the rotational poles.

Brian- As far as I know, none of the A-12s or SR-71s were lost by exceeding VNE for short periods of time.

7. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Rotational poles and speed of ....HUH?

8. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Translation: Earth's rotation doesn't mean squat unless you are flying very high and very fast...astronaut high and rocket fast...

9. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin

FANKS!

10. airborne

airborne Karting

Feb 19, 2013
    Northern VA
    Keep in mind that Mach 3.2 at FL800 is about 310 KIAS. Not an earth shattering dynamic pressure to bail out in.

Limit speed on the SR-71 was 500 KEAS. Normal climb was at 450 KEAS to about M2.6.
    Pitch stability was not an issue at high Mach. Center of pressure was moving aft, but control surface effectiveness was also decreasing.
    Yaw stability and vertical surface effectiveness was getting REAL low at higher Mach, making the "unstart" of an inlet an interesting event.
    I was tasked to develop a transfer function for the flight control system to detect an unstart and begin moving the spike. Problem was that the test pilots were so perceptive that they would catch it before we could verify the dynamics. We had to tell them to let it go. Of course they didn't trust a twenty something engineer farther than they could throw me.

11. Aedo

Aedo F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2006
    Perth
    Full Name:
    Steve
    That is a cool story! Any more stories you have will find an eager audience here!!! :D

12. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Note that 450 KEAS was not mach 2.6 until you got to a very high altitude. We climbed at 640 KCAS in the F-111 after leveling at FL 300 to accelerate to supersonic speed and 640 KCAS. But we were limited by reg to FL500. The SR was just getting started there.