Bob's dreaded "Seven engine approach" | FerrariChat

Bob's dreaded "Seven engine approach"

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Tcar, Jan 5, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    "the engine departed the aircraft"

Maybe next time tighten the bolts?

I have no idea how those are built but as I recall they had 4 dual engine pods and each pod is an integrated unit. Does that mean the engine left the pod in much the same way a torpedo was launched from a PT boat tube? That must have been something to see.

3. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    The only way that I can think that this could happen was that all 4 mounting bolts, that are pretty huge, came undone all at once. The other scenario would be the fatigue failure of the forward mount that has the thrust link in it and then a progressive failure of the aft mount that is nothing but a stabilizing mount to hold up the aft end of the engine. That's what I can remember from 1952 so I might be a little off. I'm going to dig through some things to see if I can find something.

4. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Thanks Bob. Knew you were familiar (I read your book).

When I first read the article, I assumed that a pair of engines 'departed'... the whole pylon fell off.
    But it's just one engine.

The PT boat analogy would be funny, but I think that as soon as the fuel line parted, the engine is just a boat anchor.

5. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Well having a pretty good idea of the chain of custody of written articles, editors etc and taking into account the technical understanding of your average journalist I wonder if it lost an entire pylon? The torpedo thing was the only alternative I came up with. As far as the fuel line parting I considered that as well but it still depends on the specifics of the fuel supply system. I can see a situation where it may continue to make power for a couple of seconds and that may be enough. If that is indeed the case they are very lucky it cleared the aircraft or we may well be reading an account of a bunch of people wondering why we lost a B52 out in farm country.

Then again it might have gone out backwards but the pictures I have seen of most fan motors I wouldn't think that was possible. Like I said, I don't know how they are built but I still like the image of the torpedo launch.

6. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    I was just about to post this.

When I first read this article a few min ago I thought "I bet then accidentally dropped a nuke and using this to cover it up."

After reading Command and Control I may be a bit of a conspiracy theorist though. :)

GT

7. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

I do too... engine screaming around the sky for a couple minutes...

Instead of dropping bombs, they could launch engines at targets. Good visual.

8. CarterHendricks

Sep 26, 2005
  9. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    OK, so, the engine didn't unbolt itself and fly off in the wild blue yonder. It had an uncontained failure and shook itself out of its mounts. Where was the flight engineer? Taking his turn shooting the tail gun? He didn't catch this on his panel until the EGT dropped to zero because the thermocouple got ripped off?

10. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I speculate that it was an entire pod.
    If one engine in a pod had a catastrophic failure and blew it's guts out you can bet it took the other engine with it.
    I would put long odds on the "good" engine remaining with the airplane under these circumstances.
    I would bet it happened pretty quickly too.

11. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I'm guilty of short sighted assumption. The engine mounts are titanium and some aluminum forgings. They have to take something like 15000 pounds of loading going in several directions, if I remember, and then the thrust of 100% on take off. The mounting points on the engine are on circumferential rings on the case so if the engine disintegrates internally and destroys the case, it's going to come off the mounts in a formation of large pieces, I would think. I believe that it would be pretty instantaneous. Some more of my ramblings.

12. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    No flight engineer on the B-52 and the H only has a 4 man crew since there is no gunner. Not much to monitor on turbofans. Oil pressure and maybe temperature (not on all), rpm, TIT (my favorite for some reason), bleeds. Pilots do that. The navs and EWO/ECO have limited instrumentation.

13. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    That B-52 stuff has gotten pretty old and obscure now and I shouldn't make vast statements when I have half vast info but I have seen spool seizures on a smaller engine and all of that rotation energy has to be expended somewhere and it goes into the case.

14. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Article talks about the proposal to re engine them ... the proposal I saw a couple years ago involved changing from 8 engines to 4. But it seems there are budget issues.

15. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    If they would just do the right thing and put four F138 (CF6) engines on them, these problems would go away. I mean, how long can you keep ancient J57s properly operating?

16. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    There are clearance issues on the outboard engines, too, if a re-engine were done..