Would this concern you? | FerrariChat

Would this concern you?

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by kylec, Jan 9, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    #1 kylec, Jan 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    No, Not really. ARE YOU KIDDING? The inboard-most skin displacement would be the thing that would worry me the most. It appears that something has been jammed in the space between the flap and the upper skin when the flap was retracted but the other one deserves a look. A bit confusing to me but it looks flyable in a pinch.

3. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
  4. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I would check the lift struts and I would look at the pucker in the rear spar/ fuselage connection at the wing root. What does the leading edge of the wing tip look like? The rear spar doesn't appear to have any upper chord displacement. Just guessing and speculating. A weird damage. I have seen airplanes flown with a lot worse looking "blemishes" but were still airworthy...like that Aeronca Champ that was seen in a few air shows.

5. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    If I were doing my pre-flight checks and I found this, and it hadn't been there previously, and hadn't been inspected by a flight engineer, I would not take it into the air.

6. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    You guys must not have flown many Part 135 cargo runs in the 80's lol....

7. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    ^ that

The bent portion appears to be the cove skin aft of the rear spar. Provides some aerodynamic benefit but essentially non-structural. But as Bob mentioned in his second post, make sure you know the root cause of this damage before expanding the envelope.

Disclaimer: blah, blah, blah (include everything the resident attorneys throw in when they comment on legal issues);)

8. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Duct tape, oh wait, that would be earlier. 600mph speed tape is what they use now.

9. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    If I remember correctly, that warping is pretty common on single engine Cessnas.

That said, if you have any doubts, grab an A&P and ask him or her to take a quick look.