Aerion and range/mach graph for supersonic flight. | FerrariChat

Aerion and range/mach graph for supersonic flight.

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by NeuroBeaker, Jan 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #1 NeuroBeaker, Jan 25, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Speed | Aerion Supersonic

Someone mentioned this plane elsewhere on the forum, but I thought this question would be better placed here:

I came across their graph showing range over speed and thought it was interesting that maximum range was subsonic, dipped around the sound barrier, but then increased again for a second peak around mach 1.4, before falling away again as the plane got to maximum speed. Could anyone who already knows a bit about this phenomenon explain that, provide some links to reading material, or start me off with the correct nomenclature for some search terms?

I'm not planning on buying any planes (no money or inclination to fly), but the graph aroused my curiosity for a technical explanation. :)

The concept for the Boomless Cruise was also interesting, a supersonic speed where the boom dissipates before reaching the ground, although from their graph that looks like a slightly more expensive speed to cruise at.

All the best,
    Andrew.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login