Screaming on flight | FerrariChat

Screaming on flight

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by andrewecd, Jan 26, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. andrewecd

andrewecd Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2006
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    On a flight I had a young girl sitting near me screaming, and I mean screaming!! with ear pain for most of the flight. Departure and destination were both at sea level.
    My ears (and water bottle) are not a huge fan of climbing and decent either so was wondering if there are any passenger planes built which could have kept the cabin pressurized at sea level for the whole flight?
    If not, why not? I assume it is to do with cost of building a stronger frame to withstand the higher pressure and stresses, but in this age of customer comfort, why hasn't this been done yet?
    Are high end corporate jets capable of this?

2. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    If you understood the problems with sustaining sea level pressures in a cabin at 40,000 ft where the pressure differential is off the chart, you would understand why the cabin altitude is only at 5000 ft. The engineering is extremely stretched as it is to do what it does. To keep all the pressure in a vessel as large as the fuselage of a jet airliner is a monstrous task when you have to allow the outflow of contaminated air and the inflow of fresh and heated air every three minutes to keep you comfortable. The airframe isn't the problem anymore. That child's eustachian tubes are the problem.

3. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    At least among Boeings, I know that the 787 keeps its pressure closer to sea level than all the rest; I assume the Airbus A350 is similar.

4. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I might be in error but I seem to remember a 16PSI structural limit on the fuselage. Multiply that by all the square inches of surface inside a fuselage and you can see why it is difficult to contain a bomb in waiting. The air-conditioning packs do marvelous work to keep 5000 ft. level in the cabin.

5. MARKW1992

MARKW1992 Rookie

Nov 24, 2015
    Listed in the AFM as 9.9 PSI max. Keeps a cabin altitude of 6000 in normal operation, rising up to 8000 in certain degraded modes.

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Andrew- Next time show the girl how to do a Valsalva. Pinch nostrils closed and blow gently against it. Have helped several passengers with ears plugging and that usually clears it. If they have a blocked sinus, they are screwed, however.

7. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA
    Be very careful doing that maneuver too vigorously as it can blow out the round window vestibular membrane within the inner ear leading to inner ear fluid leak and vertigo. Better to take some Afrin 10-15 mins before taking off and 45 mins before landing (just at the start of the initial descent). Sudafed can be added to further open the nasal mucosa and make eustachian tube opening a bit easier. Chewing gum, drinking water or giving kids juice all help.

8. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    As mentioned, 787 has the best comfort in that regard.
    Among private jets, G650 has internal pressure closest to sea level.

9. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Cabin altitude at FL450 is ~4000ft.
    Having a submarine builder for a father helps

10. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    My tips for clearing ears......Avoid dairy for days before the flight to help avoid the thickening of your mucous. As divers know, tipping the head back and looking upward can make clearing the ears a breeze, given the mucosa and congestion arent in bad shape. Pulling upward on the top of the air also helps me a little. Adding in a yawn even more. Pressurizing the ears is my last resort as it can force bacteria laden mucous into the eustachian tube, from what I understand.

11. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #11 Juan-Manuel Fantango, Jan 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've always been in awe of a fat man being sucked out a small window. That gives you an idea as to what forces engendering is up against.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Thanks, it has been a while since I was around that stuff but I still remember something higher than 9.9 but don't have a manual. I was in an airplane next to an airplane, a B-50, that was being pressure tested and all of the nose glass blew out. The resounding boom and glass shrapnel hitting us was no different than a bomb. I was also near a 707-320 center section that blew up while it was being tested and the force and sound is all the same. A faulty test bench couldn't read the over pressure and allowed full flow of the plant air source to go until it blew. Powerful stuff.

13. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Stresses can be quite high, especially around cutouts and at splices. Airplanes also have damage tolerance criteria, which can require carrying limit flight loads plus operational pressure with a crack extending one or more frame bays (>20 inches).

AFM value is the normal operating limit. The relief valve setting would be a few tenths higher.

Hi-blo testing at the factory would be 1.33 times max relief valve setting (considered as limit load). Structure ultimate is 1.5 times limit, or 1.33*1.5=2.0 times max relief value setting (generally never tested).

14. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Thanks, Mr.Curry. One item that stunned me was the explosive decompression of the Comet that emptied the cabin in 1/6th of a second and the crucial evidence of what had happened was the discovery of paint from the fuselage window belt on the upper surface of the wing near the wing tip.

15. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Nobody pack Afrin anymore? Some guys swear it's saved them a lot of potential problems as a get me down. I don't think I have ever used it but I carry a bottle with me every flight, of course we have a few more ups and downs. We recently established that the max VVI that the aircraft will display is 9,999, beyond that you are on your own :)

16. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Not sure what you mean by 'engendering'.

That pic looks fake. Is it?
    If not, have a description?

Who/what took the pic?

17. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Good Lord, that's like 25 - 26 individual panes of glass... the whole nose of the B-50 / B-29 is glass.

Was the B-29 the first pressurized bomber?

18. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Yes, the B-29 was the first pressurized bomber. That pressure test blew the nose dome skyward and it hit the control tower window about 50 yards away. This was on the east side of Boeing Field in the winter of 1950-1951. We spent many long hours repairing the dents in the airplanes that were hit with the glass shrapnel. Luckily, everyone was INSIDE the airplanes when the burst took place, so no one was injured. Subsequently, the airplanes were covered with cargo nets when they were pressure tested.

19. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Rod- Affirmative, that is why I said blow gently. As a second generation fighter jock, I can clear my ears directly, too fast for docs to see, and only have to Valsalva rarely.

20. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

I've always used a different technique...

Pinch nose and hold it.
    Open mouth wide.
    Swallow, while mouth is open.

Always works.
    Has the advantage of not 'pushing' on the eardrum.

21. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    They also found paint on the horizontal stab. The fuselage apparently peeled open like a banana. Boeing made sure that that could not happen with the 707.

22. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Yawning usually works pretty well, also.

23. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Since they've gotten rid of smoking and non-smoking sections on aircraft, I've advocated subdividing the passengers in a different way:

WITH SMALL CHILDREN

or

WITH NO SMALL CHILDREN

Otherwise, I'd try and persuade parents of children less than age 5 not to fly. In my case, I did not fly until age 7.

24. Aedo

Aedo F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2006
    Perth
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I think the pic is from an air crash investigation television recreation of the actual event.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNTHm2pvZTQ[/ame]

This is the event:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_Flight_5390

25. andrewecd

andrewecd Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2006
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Gently blowing against pinched nostrils does work for me, but have to be careful. A friend was driving down a steep decline on the freeway and needed to clear his ears. He blew too hard and nearly blacked out. Couldn't see and screamed at his wife to steer the car at 120km/h. Have done same thing before and very dangerous when driving.
    For me yawning works best. I just open my mouth wide for 10 or so seconds and I break into a yawn.
    My doc said my eustachian tubes are narrow or something but nothing you can do.