Who Landed Better | FerrariChat

Who Landed Better

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by LouB747, Jan 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    I put out a couple of videos for fun.....

Round 1: Garuda vs Air France

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr-SYIEIcXg[/ame]

2. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    Round 2: Korean vs Etihad

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlavlH1yYLw&t=6s[/ame]

3. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Garuda.

AF had a slight sink right before touchdown that required arresting, and also a bit of yawing during rollout. Also Garuda appeared to have smoother transition of wt onto mains.

4. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

#4 Tcar, Jan 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    Garuda, hands down.

We knew you were in a simulator: the hangar in front of you kept bouncing around. (Or the plane did!)

Etihad second. (Also has the best paint.)

Where?

5. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Looks like Narita. I recognize the hangars in the background.

6. sigar

sigar F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2005
    NorCal
    Lou, you sir, are an aviation nut. God bless you.

7. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    True,keep it up..the good work too.
    Cheers RE

8. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    Yeah, Narita, Japan.

I was stuck in my hotel room for 5 days. Recurrent groundschool and simulator. Videoing planes help me keep my sanity.

In the first video, Garuda had "clean air" and Air France was a few minutes behind him. Both nice landings though.

If these videos seem to draw interest, I'll do more. I have another one with 3 747s that's almost ready to go.

9. andrewecd

andrewecd Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2006
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Garuda
    Etihad

10. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    As an F-16 guy I have to say I don't know squat about heavy landings but as an aviator I will explain why I think the following:

Vid 1. AF as the descent rate was smoothly arrested at touchdown resulting in slow but progressive even settling of all wheels on the trucks followed by compression of the struts, whereas Garuda appeared to raise back up ever so slightly after initial contact which to me indicates a fast touchdown.

Vid 2. Korean. Same reasons. Korean nice slow consistent contact and compression of gear components. Etihad really squashed everything very quickly.

Again...I don't know anything but was fun to watch. Thanks, Lou!

11. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Lou you need to shoot some videos of southwest 737's landing and let us guess who was a former navy pilot LOL seems like every time I see one of there landings it looks like they are trying to catch a wire.

12. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    For me, they were all good. I can't imagine setting up a big machine like that and actually maybe have some feel for what's going on. They were beautiful. What kind of video device are you using? I have decided to make a narrated video of my art display at the Schack Art Center before it closes next weekend. Every time I have been up there I have had to give some of the viewers an explanation of what made me paint a particular subject and what was the story behind it. They all have a story so I'm going to try it. There are 23 of them so it should take at least an hour.

13. gday

gday Formula 3

Sep 10, 2004
    CA, USA - NSW, AUS
    Full Name:
    Mick
    Saw the same exact sequence. The bounce was why I would pick AF.

-mick

14. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    #14 LouB747, Jan 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
    I'm using a 4K camcorder. It's a Sony AX53. It takes awesome video, but is probably more than you need.

Here's a short review I did, if you're interested.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwjJUeQedlk&t=15s[/ame]

15. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Personally I think I have made only a few 'perfect' landings. My criteria is landing on the exact center point, with no discernible transition from flight to taxi. Flying the same serial number helps along with a long wet runway with zero wind. But did you hit the exact touchdown point?

Since I interact with the owners every time, if they are still sleeping when I open the main door...everyone is happy. Im sure there is a G force meter app. In the old days I flew with a guy who had a portable one. We would bet bar tabs for that night, good times.

Nice Vids Lou....is the farmers house still sticking out somewhere around Charlie and Delta? That guy has some brass ones but Ill be damned if im gonna eat his produce. The Christmas Hotel (Love shack) and hotel morning wood on the drive to Tokyo always cracked us up.

Oh....I want a XL Tshirt from the Jet Lag Club next time you are in town. Pm me with your paypal info. I left my last one at the Hilton.....crappy inner room, not an outside room.

16. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    I would say Garuda, seemed like it would be a nice landing from a passengers perspective.

I'm wondering how do we get tickets to experience one of Lou's crazy Nartia landings.

17. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    Yeah, the farmers house is still there. I'll take a pic of it next time I taxi by. I haven't been downtown Narita in awhile. I'll get you one if they still sell them. Is the trade for a pair of "penthouse wings" still on the table?

18. MARKW1992

MARKW1992 Rookie

Nov 24, 2015
    They all looked good to me.

Oh man, with this happening the pressure's on! Will be coming in on the 8th.

19. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    I leave around 9am on the 8th, so I think you're safe!