Anyone want their own SST clone? | FerrariChat

Anyone want their own SST clone?

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by CornersWell, Jan 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
  2. CavalloRosso

CavalloRosso Formula 3

Jul 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA/Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    SVO
    That's the craziest EBay ad I have ever seen. I love it.

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    You would need your own refinery to fuel that thing. Wonder if the National Museum of the USAF would be interested?

4. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I highly doubt it would ever be allowed back in the air. It would cost millions of dollars just to get it close to flying condition.

5. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    This is one of hundreds of reasons why you don't want to fly a TU-144 again. From the beginning this is what they found in testing.

The aircraft was assembled from parts machined from large blocks and panels, many over 19 m (62 ft) long and 0.64 to 1.27 m (2.1 to 4.2 ft) wide. While at the time, this approach was heralded as an advanced feature of the design, it turned out that large whole-moulded and machined parts contained defects in the alloy's structure that caused cracking at stress levels below those which the part was supposed to withstand. Once a crack started to develop, it spread quickly for many metres, with no crack-arresting design feature to stop it.[26] In 1976, during repeat-load and static testing at TsAGI (Russia's Central Aerohydrodynamic Institute), a Tu-144S airframe cracked at 70% of expected flight stress with cracks running many metres in both directions from their origin.

DOOMED FROM THE BEGINNING

6. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    I kid, I kid. I know it can't be done. Well, maybe by Bill Gates. Maybe.

I can't imagine how expensive it would be to make this lawn art airworthy again, though. As if it ever truly was. And, there'd be ZERO spare parts supply, so you'd have to manufacture everything from scratch after patterning. Engines? And, talk about a tax guzzler! But, if the design was flawed from the get-go, then what's the point other than to say, "Cool toy."

So, I guess they'd deliver it by boat to your destination.

CW

7. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

#7 Tcar, Jan 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
    They must have built that building in the pic AFTER the plane was parked...

The NASA Tu-144 was auctioned for $11M a number of years ago, but it never went through. They wouldn't let the engines out of the country... military secret.

(NASA 'leased' one of them for a couple years to conduct research. US NASA pilots even flew a couple of flights. NASA required them to use different engines as the regular ones were so unreliable.)

There were only about 50 passenger flights and 150 cargo flights in it's entire career. It was incredibly unreliable. Something went wrong on almost every flight.

The goal of the program was to beat Concorde to first flight and they cut so many corners to do that, that they ended up with a terribly flawed aircraft.
    It's debut at the Paris Air Show ended in a crash into a residential neighborhood, killing many.

8. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Whats the full story behind the Nasa flights, did the plane work, how did they get t back in the air? how many flights.

9. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    Even Russian oligarchs who have access to the engines won't bother. It's a cool ornament though.

10. Jacob Potts

Jacob Potts Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2008
    Pueblo, CO
    Full Name:
    Jacob Potts
    Here is a YouTube video of Tu-144's from the present day.

Images of the one on sale come up first. You can see the quality of the article on sale in close-up photos.

https://youtu.be/khRX7s8fYA4

11. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
  12. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

13. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
  14. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt

Those wipers are really loud.

15. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Sounds like a cheap electric toothbrush from the 80's.

It probably is a cheap electric toothbrush from the 80's.

16. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Impressive that some of that stuff still works (or worked in 2009, anyway). That must be hydraulic?

17. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    interesting e-bay profile, feedback of 1 for a $750 item

18. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Was more impressive many years back when they had their prototype space shuttle on ebay.

I REALLY miss the days when ebay had a category called "Big Ticket," that was just crammed with insane items.