From whence I came. | FerrariChat

From whence I came.

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Bob Parks, Feb 9, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    In 1950 when I looked at the B-52 mock up I remember my mentor talking about the engine struts on that monster. Then two years later when I worked on the 367-80 they always referred to the assemblies that held the engines as engine struts but only one engine to each strut instead of two. Two years later I was making drawings of the airplane that followed the -80, the KC-135, and I produced drawings of the number one and number two engine struts. I prepared cutaways showing the entire structure and one could see the spars that transmitted engine thrust through their length back into the wing where they were connected to long forged fittings that were fastened to the upper rib chord of a wing buttock line rib that connected to the front and rear spars. The lower strut rib was horizontal and aligned with the horizontal centerline of the engine. It connected to the front engine mount bulkhead and also had the front engine mount thrust link joined to it. The rear strut bulkhead supported the rear engine mount and was connected to two stout forged fittings that were connected to the front spar to react torque loads and lateral movement of the engine and strut. This entire assembly was covered with a fairly thick skin and became an assembly that was finally connected to the wing by a large diameter tube that fastened to the lower end of the rear strut bulkhead and became the thrust link . Picture the bottom rib that ran from the forward engine mount to the rear engine mount and then tied into the thrust link that went back to a long forged fitting on the lower chord of the rib of which the upper chord had the fitting of the strut spars . So, the main structural items in this assemblage were all loaded along their length with the exception of the torque bulkhead rib. Admittedly, all of these items in the strut had to react torsion , bending, tension, and compression but the ultimate function of the strut assembly was not only to support the engines out ahead of the wing but to transmit the forces of thrust back into the wing and drag the airplane through the air. The landing gear thing has a vertical member that we called the shock strut. Then attached to the outer cylinder was the drag strut to keep the landing gear from rotating aft when the airplane moved on the ground and the brakes were applied. Then there was a strut that was attached to the outer cylinder that went inboard and attached to the fuselage structure. We called it the side strut and it kept the landing gear from rotating inboard or outboard when the airplane turned or skidded.
    When I was a little boy I flew in old airplanes that had wing interplane struts that kept the wings separated by reacting the compression and tension loads along their length.
    During the war we called those things under the wings to carry bombs and rockets, bomb racks and rocket rails.

2. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    #2 Hannibal308, Feb 10, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Great observations...thanks!

Little has changed except we got all fancy with acronyms...our bombs hang on TERs...Triple Ejector Racks. A rack is a rack. Check out the rack on my sexy girlfriend...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    Speaking of load bearing on wings. I always regarded those F-16 outboard racks on 3 and 7 to be things of wonder. Without a TER they could hold a single 2000 pound bomb. The load on the wing there is just enourmous. When we let a 2000 pounder drop off, the whole wing would flick up elastically and jolt the entire plane like a rag doll. You could watch the wing spring up and down for a couple seconds afterward. The first time I let one go I about crapped my pants as I thought the wing was going to break off. Later, it was just cool. Always admired you guys who made these things work like they do. Thanks!

4. westextifosi

westextifosi Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 20, 2009
    Lubbock, TX
    Full Name:
    Tex Timberlake

Bob, keep on "struttin' your stuff". You are awesome.

5. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    A far cry from the original concept of the F-16 as a simple, air-to-air fighter, rather like a latter-day F-86 Sabre. Could you imagine hanging all that stuff on a Sabre?

I think the silly "F/A-18" designation should be changed back to simply F-18, as it started out to be. After all, from the F-100 onward, just about every "fighter" aircraft ever since has really been an "F/A". (The F-102 and F-106 are the only exceptions I can think of.) Considering its dual-purpose development, I'm surprised (and happy) that the Lightning II has not been renamed "F/A-35".....at least, not yet, and I hope that it never is.

6. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    Except it is the JSF...Joint Strike Fighter. And the Brits call it the JCA...Joint Combat Aircraft. So nothing means anything anymore. The A-10 can do Air-to-air. They all do it all.

7. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

A-10?

Just fill the sky with depleted uranium... ;)

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    A rack is a rack unless it is a BRU-3 (bomb release unit) that is still a rack or a LAU-88 (launcher assembly unit) that is a rack with a rail, or a MAU-12 (medium assembly unit), which is still a rack, but has 14" and 30" suspension lugs for lots of stuff. Now racks are often mounted on pylons on fighters, which are really struts with a streamlined cover. Only reason I mention this is that I have dropped/launched hundreds of weapons off our pivot pylons (pivoting struts with streamlined covers) using all of the racks above. Not to mention SUU-20s and 21s (suspension unit universal) which were practice bomb dispensers or mini-racks. The SUU-21 even had bay doors, necessary for overflight in the UK and Europe.

When we carried GBU-15s, we carried a MK-84 on the opposite wing to prevent the leans, same with a GBU-28 (4700 lbs). When we salvoed MK-84s (2000 lbs), only rarely, usually rippled them in singles or pairs, the aircraft leaped upwards, as did the wings. To be expected with an 8000 lb reduction in weight.

9. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    Cool!

10. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
  11. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Interesting observation..... One of the causes of fatigue in C-130 wing boxes was apparently from airdropping heavy loads. The load would go out the back and the fuselage would spring up and all the flexing was bad for the wing boxes. The situation was highlighted for everyone with the attention grabbing video where one had the wings fall off in flight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A4QZAxrb28

Now I assume the F-16 is built to withstand heavier G loadings and the wing flex may not be such a concern but it's interesting to read similar type observations across very different platforms.

12. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt

That video is real? It looks like a model when the wings are coming off.

13. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jim- We called them pylons, too. You are not likely to get too many engineering hits on the internet about the engineering of them, though.

14. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Seriously? Doesn't look at all like a model.

I remember reading about it, happened in CA.

More recently the same thing happened to a PB4Y Privateer (similar to a B-24) firedropping here in CO, near Estes Park (lost one wing).

15. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Yep, very real. It was a huge attention grabber for the C-130 community. There was another similar incident in Europe as well.

For a while about 8-10 years ago there were a bunch of C-130s that were speed limited at low altitude due to wingbox cracks. Nothing focuses the mind quite like the thought that the yolk might be unexpectedly yanked with crushing force into your lap momentarily as the wings depart the aircraft only to have the pressure released as the aircraft plummets to ground with mere seconds to recognize that the situation is futile.....😄 I have moved on to more modern aircraft where I fly an even more insane mission, but the wing box stress is fairly low so at least I don't have that to worry about. You will know if it doesn't work out someday as my wife will post something from my account in the subscribed section I suspect.

16. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

What do egg yolks have to do with it????? :)

17. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    You got to love the ERMA's (Easily Recognizable Military Abbreviations) :D

18. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    You are a bad bad man! Keep us safe in the world.

19. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    That airplane was a C-130A, which had a less-robust wing design, without a separate center-section, than the B-model and all later Herks. A beef-up within the wing carry-through structure hid metal fatigue that eventually led to the loss of the wings. That cannot happen on a B or later model C-130, and there are B models from as long ago as 1960 that are still providing reliable service around the world.

20. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    There were still wing box issues with E & H models and for a while there were a bunch of tails with speed, weight and maneuvering restrictions due to wing box cracks and cracked fasteners. I have one of the cracked fasteners on my desk at work from when they had to inspect the whole fleet back around '08 or so. They may not be as succeptable to the same failure mode as the A models but they are still subject to similar stress and eventually wear out.

21. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Which is why we're still building center-wing replacement kits....