Aeroflot | FerrariChat

Aeroflot

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Rags747, Feb 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rags747

Rags747 Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Anyone have opinions one way or the other? Thinking of NY to Moscow in May, you hear and read all kinds of things both ways. Thoughts on this please, should I have concern? THX...

2. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

What's the equipment? Western?

Their maintenance is not up to US/EUR standards.

But I have a friend that's flown on Russian equipment for years...

3. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    Not quite. They're actually among the best currently in terms of problems and snags per flight hour and overall accident record. Better than several American carriers by those metrics. They also use mainly Western planes for the long-haul routes.

Aeroflot Review & Safety Ratings | AirlineRatings.com

Also rated 4-star by Skytrax. By comparison, United, Delta, Alaska, et al are all 3.

Definitely miles better than the pre-2001 era. I'd take them without hesitation.

4. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt

I would fly NY to London and fly British Airways to Moscow.

Though I'm sure times have changed, after watching this documentary Airplaneski on Russian airlines I'll never consider flying with them .

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TSK2gLDpOYY

Parts 1-4 will play in order.

5. islerodreaming

islerodreaming Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Full Name:
    John - a proud Australian man
    Flew Aeroflot from India to Moscow a couple of times in the early 70's - a very, VERY different experience from BOAC or Qantas at the time! One hopes the era of openness has lifted their game, certainly they seem to keep the Illuysions ?? for domestic and charter now.

John

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I still remember the Airbus (Aeroflot 593) they lost because one of the pilots let his teenage son fly it out of control, even though the pilot thought the autopilot was still engaged. It was, partially, but the son overrode the autopilot aileron control and the aircraft ended up in a 90 degree bank. They never recovered from that due to the very high sink rate that developed.

7. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Was a passager about a dozen times between 1998 and 2013 on various Illyushins and Tupolev, This Inside Russia (Vladivostok to Moscow, Moscow-Astrakhan, etc..). From and to Paris, usually they flew A-320s. Never had any problem.
    Rgds

8. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I've done this route before. As well as Frankfurt-Moscow on Lufthansa. However, I believe the Western airlines mostly fly into Domodedovo, which is pretty far south. Aeroflot IIRC will fly into Sheremetyevo, which is closer in on the north side. Not a huge difference, and really its your preference for airlines which matters.

9. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    But if You have to catch your returning flight at Sheremetyevo on a Friday afternoon, don't take a cab from Moscow, but the train line...traffic out of Moscow on Friday evening is dreadful!
    Rgds

10. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt

Good to know. I plan on visiting Moscow in the next year or 2.

11. Rags747

Rags747 Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Matt
    THX for everyone's input. I have some thinking to do and plans to make. THX again

12. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Flew with them a couple of times when adopting our daughter in 2001. Had a great experience the only negative being each flight was late

Also flew a couple of different domestic airlines from Moscow to Siberia ....oh crap was that scary

13. Rags747

Rags747 Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Ha, adopted our daughter in 97 from Moscow and now she graduates college in May. Thinking as a graduation gift getting her there as we/she have not been back since. When we adopted we only had to go one time and spend a week and brought her home right then and there. That's why the question of Aeroflot which out of NY is the only direct flight vs flying into Paris and then onto Moscow. Thx