Visiting Museum of Flight in Seattle on Friday 3/3 | FerrariChat

Visiting Museum of Flight in Seattle on Friday 3/3

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by FarmerDave, Feb 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Excited about the chance to spend some time Friday at the Museum of Flight. I land at SEA at 11:25am and plan to head straight for the museum and spend all afternoon, I just have an obligation to be downtown by dinnertime.

Was disappointed that the timing of my visit is too soon to see the new spaceflight wing under construction.

Any recommendations for a first time visitor are greatly appreciated, especially any nearby sights or good eating.

I'm also considering heading north for the Boeing tour on Saturday morning.

2. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    4 hours is about the right visit time in my opinion. When I was there, I was with people who were ready to leave after 2 hours and I had to rush. Lots of interesting exhibits on several levels. Also, their gift shop has all kinds of neat toys for kids. I still have several balsa wood airplanes in a Boeing livery. Have fun!

3. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Post up your experiences please.. interested in both when next in the US..

4. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Thanks, good to know, I can definitely spend 4 hours there.

Funny you mention the others in your travelling party... I'm going to Seattle with 8 other friends on the same arriving flight, and I told them "I'm renting my own car, y'all are on your own to get downtown." I specifically made it clear I'm spending all afternoon at the museum, so that nobody tries to tag along with me.

5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Please let me know when you plan your visit. I think that it would be fun to meet you there since I have some things in the museum. I worked with the originator of that organization in 1964, Harl Bracken. He never lived to see what a great thing it is now but he dedicated everything he had in his life to get it started.

6. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I don't know if I can be there on 3/3/17 but I will try to meet you. Let me know , please.

7. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    #7 alexm, Feb 26, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    Hi Bob, I would be much honoured to meet you and very much look forward to it..

I'm in the process of re-organising life and liquidating assets and once all sorted and resettled will book up the trip.. I already have a rough route in mind to span WA->FL covering both aviation and photographic interests.

Hopefully before end of the year as I want to do outside stuff too and I'm not much of a fan of freezing on top of a mountain if I can help it!

8. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    I was stationed in Seattle twice and loved every single minute of it. Phenomenal restaurants in and around downtown. My favorites are Dahlia Lounge and Barolo. Etta's for seafood, Cutters for a drink after touring Pikes, Pink Door for breakfast, Elliott's on the wharf, and Pure Seafood inside Pikes.....

Four hours in the museum is about right. Not sure when Hops n Props is this year, but if you can swing, I'd time your tour for that day.

9. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Tell your friends they can take a boat ride. The one that goes thru the Ballard locks is quite interesting and they also point out the "Sleepless in Seattle" house boat on the tour.

10. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

H&P was yesterday, the 25th.

11. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    That is an incredible museum. If you're interested and it's open, the Shuttle Trainer (full size mockup of the Space Shuttle that you can climb around in) is a highlight.

12. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I was thinking about things at the MOF in which I was involved over the years.
    The earliest was in 1952 when I worked at Plant 1 on the Duwamish River and Plant 1 was the "Red Barn" as they now call it. It was used for tool and supply storage but in the years before then it was where the 314 Clipper was built and before that, a lot of older Boeing airplanes. I tried to help Harl Bracken when we were trying to launch the Pacific Northwest Aviation Historical Foundation. No one was interested and there wasn't a penny given to it. It somehow hung on and eventually the Red Barn was moved to Boeing Field after being saved from demolition and monied individuals and groups began to wake up to the aviation history here in Seattle and supported what is now a world class aviation museum.
    I was involved in getting several airplanes purchased by the museum and I was in charge of the restoration of the L-3 hanging in the pavilion . I made a drawing of the Model 80 transport that shows the entire airplane inside and out and it was used in the restoration of the one on display at the MOF. I applied the exterior markings on the Boeing P-12 when it was restored by O.W. Tosch and Lew Wallick. They sell prints of the B-29 cutaway that I did for the 50th anniversary of that airplane and I have a painting someplace in the cellar. Enough of this, but the museum is a must for anyone visiting Seattle. Up north at Paine Field there are two more world class museums, Paul Allen's flying collection and John Sessions flying collection and on top of that , there is the tour of the Boeing plant and Future of Flight. This place will keep you busy for a couple of days.

13. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I'm going to make sure allocate all the time necessary to see these wonderful things.

A QANTAS mate of mine recently lent me a book on the early aviation history of Lord Howe Island (about 300 mi off east coast Aussie) and it was fascinating.. used by the RAAF for PBY/Catalina nav training out of Rathmines base and also serviced by Sunderlands of the then QANTAS Empire Airways and Tasman Empire Airways (the precursor to now Air New Zealand).

Of the 2 remaining Sunderlands one is in Kermit Weeks collection.. I see it's not currently on display from their website.. but I'm somehow going to see if it's possible to see this important piece of Australian aviation history and seaplane to boot.. (or flying boat as they seemed to like to be called).

14. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Bob, that would be wonderful and a real treat to meet you! As I mentioned, I intend to get to the museum sometime between 12:30-1:00pm on Friday afternoon, and I plan to be there until 4pm at least.

I'll update this thread if my plans change between now and Friday, for any reason, but the only thing standing in my way would be flight delays leaving Texas on Friday AM.

15. bbs911

bbs911 Formula Junior

May 31, 2007
    Dallas
    No cameras allowed but I thought it was a great tour. Well worth it.

16. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    I'm sure it is classified. As an aside, Boeing has a small museum in the vicinity with a bunch of older aircraft outside on display and cameras are allowed.

17. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    If you're going to Paine Field for the Boeing tour, also be sure to visit the Museum of Flight annex (on the east side of the airport) and Paul Allen's Flying Heritage Collection (on the south side). Also the Historic Flight Foundation (on the west side at the south end) is worthwhile. Paine Field is now truly "the Chino of the Northwest"!

(Remember, for the Boeing tour, get there early and you'll probably have to sign up for a time slot later in the day, which may give you time to visit those other places. The Boeing facility has a decent museum of their own, and a fantastic gift shop.)

18. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Thanks for those tips, I went ahead and bought a ticket online for the 10:30am tour of Boeing/Future of Flight on Saturday, to hold my place. I'm probably not going to get to EVERYTHING but I'm going to try!

19. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
  20. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Hey Bob, did you know Bob Lamson?
    Lamson L-106 Alcor Glider | The Museum of Flight

21. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
  22. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    It just popped into my head. I remember Bob Lamson working with Dick Baxter on a crop duster design, the Lamson Air Tractor..

23. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

24. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I had the pleasure of working with him, along with a few other Boeing 'old-timers', on the prototype blended winglets which are now installed on nearly every 737 in the world. Like you they had a ton of practical knowledge that every engineer should have had the opportunity to listen to and digest. Bob took great pride in his glider and the fact that it is hanging in the gallery at the Museum.

25. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I didn't know about the glider but I remembered the name of the other guy that was involved in the Air Tractor, Kit Carson. No joke. That's the name. He was a Boeing test pilot and really nice guy.