Naval Aviation crisis 75 years ago | FerrariChat

Naval Aviation crisis 75 years ago

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Bob Parks, Mar 5, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    #1 Bob Parks, Mar 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I found this drawing that I did when I was 16, in 1942. It is a portrait of John L. Smith who fought in an F4F on Guadalcanal when things were pretty desperate . His compatriot was Marion Carl and other Marine Corps pilots. At one point they were to 4 airplanes before reinforcements arrived. This was one of my better efforts, I think. It was displayed in the high school lobby beside the board listing kids that were in the service and the KIA list.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Jacob Potts

Jacob Potts Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2008
    Pueblo, CO
    Full Name:
    Jacob Potts
    Wow!!! Fantastic art and fantastic pilot!!!

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Bob, I am not very quick to giving praise but that is a great piece of work.

4. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

You were just 16?

Amazing.

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- You really captured him. Those were pretty desperate times back then.

Really sad that Marion Carl, a retired MGen, was killed by a scumbag in a home invasion when he was 92.

6. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Thanks for posting that Bob. Reminds me of the good stories in your book.

7. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    #7 Bob Parks, Mar 5, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
    Thanks, everyone. That piece is all about the great men who , at that time, stiffened our resistance to what then was an overwhelming threat. It isn't about who did the drawing but about a Medal Of Honor winner who fought along side Marion Carl and a lot of other great guys.

8. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Very nice and meaningful work, Bob. Bravo!

I can only imagine what life must have been like then, but I'm very proud of my parents, a C-47 pilot and a flight nurse in WW2.

9. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

If you go to Wiki, F4F Wildcat, there's a pic of about a dozen of them lined up in the dirt on Guadalcanal in '42.

Also remember hearing about Joe Foss.

And the "Cactus Air Force" .

10. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Yes, there was Smith, Carl, Galer, and Foss during that battle. They lost a lot of people, planes, and ships but eventually the Japanese withdrew from that group of islands and the withdrawal continued for another three years.

11. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Yes.
    Seems like Guadalcanal was sort of like Midway... once we won, we were on the offensive, no longer defensive.

12. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The late Martin Caidin wrote a great book about that period of the war. Look for a copy of "The Ragged, Rugged Warriors".

13. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

I recently watched "Flying Leathernecks", John Wayne. Color. By Howard Hughes. Early 50's.
    My local library has a copy.

John Wayne's role is based on John L. Smith.

Starts out with few planes, few pilots, only fuel was captured Japanese fuel.

They used F6F Hellcats instead of F4F's as the Navy/Marines had already gotten rid of all their Wildcats. Later in the film they transition to Corsairs.

They used Hellcats painted white for Zeros, but not too bad, no closeups of those planes.

Nice WWII movie.

14. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Great scenes in that movie of F4U's doing strafing runs. Can see the smoke from the guns.

15. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Having been under several strafing runs I clearly remember the trail of muzzle gas and the string of empty brass mixed with a guttural roar of the Cal. 50's. Early in the war (41-42) the fighters from Sarasota Airbase would practice by following the leader's splash of his shots in the water off shore from our house. Then they would come over in a string of maybe 10 P-40's and shoot at the "splash targets". Our little cottage just happened to be under them when they fired at an altitude of maybe 400 ft. The brass and links would land on our roof sometimes and I had a belt that I made of them that was probably 20 feet in length. The days of the war were sure different.

16. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Great drawing, great story. Thanks!

17. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    You're welcome. I have many fond memories of when the airbases were all activated . There were probably ten of them nearby we saw a lot of exciting stuff by just about every type of aircraft you could think of. Many mornings just after sunrise I would walk the beach after a swim and spot something coming up the beach way below the horizon and one time it was a Martin B-26 at 50 feet. I saw a P-47 at low enough altitude to be leaving a trail of twisted tip streamers as he did slow rolls. One of the most exciting shows was put together to impress military representatives from South America and they paraded everything that they could get into the air and had a HUGE flyby from south to north . They were just off the beach and not very high to impress the spectators assembled on Longboat Key, just north of us. The rumble was earth shaking and it took several hours of flying to complete it. I doubt that our visitors noticed that that the same airplanes flew by twice sometimes. I noticed the training numbers on them and saw them more than once. Sarasota Airbase had equipment parked in every bare spot that was available. It was quite a show. B-17's, P-38's, P-39's, P-40's, B-26's, B-25"s, B-24's , and P-47's took part. The P-51 wasn't on the scene yet. There were a few Navy plane mixed in, too.