Hawaii bound flight diverted over $12.00 blanket disput | FerrariChat

Hawaii bound flight diverted over $12.00 blanket disput

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Juan-Manuel Fantango, Mar 9, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
  2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Back in the day, I had a dude next to me go ape over not being able to have an extra bag of peanuts. Typical scenario - minor kerfuffle that could have been defused by either the passenger or the stewardess acting like an adult, but both likely were at the end of a long day, so it escalated to shouting. I offered him my peanuts. I think the gesture embarrassed him enough that he realized it was really no big deal in the grand scheme of things, and he piped down. And, I got to keep my bag of peanuts! ;) Today, they'd likely divert, call in air marshals, have TSA involved, etc. Yet another reason I try to drive everywhere, if it is at all practical...T

3. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I think the passengers should take the crew including the pilots to the woodshed.

Seriously, what he said was passive, wasn't threatening to the plane, the crew, or the passengers. And instead they dump a ton of fuel over an innocuous comment. And it was innocuous. Why? Even the police didn't press charges and said there was no criminal activity.

Stupid on the airlines fault.

4. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Sign of the snowflakes I guess.

5. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    I was on an international B.A. flight where an Arab passenger was quietly handcuffed at the back of the airplane (Nov 2013). The plane landed without any additional incident at it's destination.

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Last few years I have met a few female flight attendants that have mistaken their uniforms for those of Nazi prison guards. If in our hypersensitive world the police saw no harm no foul some airline employee went way overboard.

7. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Hawaiian Airlines isn't very good it seems...I was unimpressed the first time I flew them.

$12 to get an older guy a blanket? Sheesh. What a ****ty airline.

A few female flight attendents mistook their own uniforms for Nazi prison guards? haha...uhh......

8. AndrewG2

AndrewG2 Karting

Feb 22, 2013
    Las Vegas NV
    Isn't it the Captains decision to divert?

I bet he or she is hearing it from the airline. I can't imagine there to happy with a double dose of bad publicity. $12.00 for a blanket in a cold airplane and diverting over a common passive statement.

9. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    We were happy with Hawaiian Airlines when we flew with them from Sydney to Hawaii and back.

Pete

10. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
  11. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    I fly Hawaiian HNL to PHX R/T twice a month and generally am very happy with them. FAs are always locals and there is an ingrained racism in most of them that is just a matter of fact. Old white dude needs a blanket...probably a 90% chance of a F' him attitude form the FAs to begin with. I have been on those flights and they get cold sometimes. I think blankets are a really stupid thing to have to pay for.

12. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Domestic Commercial FA's......I got to love them. They turn more people over to private flying every day. If your job is so bad, quit...do something else. 'Its my job to save you, not kiss your Azz". Well, until the plane is in flames, please get me another drink and do your best to be a good company rep.

13. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Not only that, but most of them look like they were born before the airplane was even invented. Weathered old rude sticks of beef jerky in bad polyester running around like they are running the show. They need to be reminded that they are there to pour soda and not much else. Half of them have social security numbers that barely break into the double digits.

I'd probably make a billion dollars if I rebranded Leatherique and sold it to FA's as a beauty treatment.

I am not terribly fond of stateside FA's.

14. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #14 Rifledriver, Mar 17, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    I'm not looking for a date, just a plane ride. I could give a **** how old they are as long as the job gets done. When TSA and FAA told them they had some kind of authority it went to the heads of some. I used to be able to damn near get drunk on a 40 minute flight from Oakland to LA and these days they cant be bothered to offer me a water for the first 40 minutes of a flight and if it is a 2 hour flight I'll get one chance to order something and 12 chances to get rid of my garbage. One of the laziest, rudest class of employees in private industry. Who do they think they are working for, the VA? Good to know the management of US airlines is no better than it was back in the days of Eastern. The airlines have pretty successfully put together a bunch of people who think their asses are cast in platinum.

15. douglas360

douglas360 Karting

Nov 7, 2016
    SoCal
    This is gold; I'll be using it often (w/permission).

16. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #16 Rifledriver, Mar 17, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    Yea, well God forbid those lazy ****s have to pick up after me. Might cut into their time filling their nails.

I used to enjoy travelling. Between the airlines and the defective detectives of the TSA it has become an experience I really don't look forward to. In California we quit flying to LA. We could drive the 360 miles quicker, cheaper and it was a far more agreeable experience.

17. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    For $12 bucks you should be allowed to take it home with you!

18. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

I've always heard that the 3 things that you DO NOT touch in an airplane are Pillows, Blankets and Restrooms.

Filthy.

Oh, and tray tables.

19. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Enjoy a browse of the "passenger shaming" FB page.. some people are just unbelievably thoughtless for their own hygiene and regard for fellow passengers.

https://www.facebook.com/PassengerShaming/?fref=ts

20. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I hate to fly any more. It used to be a fun experience but now its a pain in the a** and the airline employees and TSA make it to where I would rather drive my rough riding Jeep than fly in a commercial plane. My limit for work is now anything over 8 hours to drive I will start considering flying. I just got done flying to Boston and back from Vegas and my wife decided we're driving next time................

21. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    As an old guy I keep thinking about the old days when I traveled by train. Three times on a troop train and several times after the war. I still think that they were the most enjoyable trips and better than the present day air travel that is now worse than the Greyhound sardine buses during the war. I travel by air only if I have to. Even at 91 I'll try to drive it.

22. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    That's the Aloha Spirit !

Racial slur reportedly preceded Nanakuli attack

The real *****es work @ United.

I always wear a jacket. Sometimes you can sneak in a bottle of Mountain Dew.

23. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
  24. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Be a huge profit for them. No way they cost the airline $12.

25. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

I think of the old days in the 50's and 60's when you dressed to fly, too. Even as a kid I wore a sport jacket and slacks on the plane (Continental Convair 240 was the first.)

No security, either.