One for the aircraft designers.. | FerrariChat

One for the aircraft designers..

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by nzporsche944s2, Mar 9, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nzporsche944s2

Jul 12, 2012
    Everytime I'm watching planes land there is that puff of tyre smoke and occasionally you can hear the chirp-chirp as the tyres hit the runway and I always think to myself what a tremendous waste of rubber....

The black marks on every runway are just wasted rubber.

Why has no-one thought of putting vanes either on the wheel hub or the tyre itself to get the wheel rotating at a speed that more closely matches the ground speed to prevent that burnoff?

It can't be for reasons of drag because by that point the undercarriage is already down.

Are the tyres not actually that expensive (relatively speaking)?

What is the service life of a typical Boeing's (737 / 767 / 747 / 777) tyres for example?

2. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I'll bite.. I'm guessing for simplicity.. less weight, less stuff to go wrong (motors, wiring, when deployed and by what, and if it fails will it do something bad) and cost of rubber vs all that consideration.

Planes have been brought down by many things over the years.. even some wiring in the entertainment system..

3. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Short answer: If it was cost-effective airlines would do it. It isn't.

There are so many threads about this on the internet, with a lot of them getting to why this isn't done.

4. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    It's all been tried in the past and it isn't cost effective, weight smart, etc.

5. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Probably would have better luck getting aircraft to take off and land from a giant treadmill.

6. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Some WWII bombers (some B-17's, I think), had motors that spun the wheels prior to landing. Or maybe Wellingtons...

Rubber was scarce during the war.

Deemed a waste and not continued.

Anyway, it's a lot less wear than a trip to the 7-11 by the typical mulleted Mustang driver. :)

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The big problem is when they do not stop spinning once you take off, at least in some aircraft. Makes a really loud noise when they come up against the snubbers.

8. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    lol

9. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Don't give Airbus any ideas........

10. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    I guess you could do something like that and it would help, but aircraft tires are pretty soft, and they still wear pretty fast even if you did address the landing issue..

I was always taught to apply the brakes once in the air and just before I actuated the landing gear to stop the mains from turning before retraction.... The idea being that you didn't want the wheels spinning when they went into the wells.. You could stop the wheels with the brakes on retraction and that would still work, you'd just have to hold the brakes until retraction was complete.

11. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    No treadmill needed and wheel rotators not needed either. No wear on these tires...
    http://youtu.be/82ixxBOxZjE

12. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Checklist for my old Mooney included touch brakes prior to retracting gear. No snubber in the wheel well so it really didn't matter, but simple procedure to implement in a coordinated cockpit environment.

13. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I was always amazed at the main gear tires of the B-24 on landing. The strut jerked back about 6 to 8 inches on impact and the tires grew in height for a couple of inches. Lots of smoke and noise that was easy to hear from an open waist position.

14. Hammerhead

Hammerhead Rookie

Mar 11, 2015
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Dewayne
    I was told a long time ago in A&P school you don't want them spinning in flight due to the gyroscopic effect adversely affecting the airplane.

15. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    They do have that, usually as a mod. You want it for gravel runways. If the wheel is already spinning, it won't throw up as much gravel against the airframe. I believe the gravel runway mod for Learjets had it for the nosewheel.

On pavement, I don't think it makes that much of a difference.

16. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #16 teak360, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Now that's a viable reason I hadn't thought of. Getting all the mains spinning on a large plane would have an effect.

Here's a Citation gravel runway kit.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The Ruskies just use fenders.

18. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Brian- They look like mudguards on some of the Russian aircraft.

19. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I have seen a few. I was told at some point they design aircraft for lesser quality airfields and debris exposure. As I recall a few had air inlets ducted to over the wings for taxiing to avoid FOD.

20. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    The MiG-29 in its original version, notably...
    Yes, they do have to take care of debris exposure, some of their aerodromes being in very remote places; they also have a water/snow/mud problem with the violent snow melting during the infamous "raspoutitsa", which is the week or ten days during which almost everything thaw in one go in Russia, which means mud, etc, almost everywhere, including on tarmacs...

Rgds

21. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I once saw an Alaska Airlines 737-200 Combi unloading at Sea-Tac airport. The passengers were deplaning from the aft side airstair while a forklift was removing cargo through the forward side cargo door. You could not help seeing a very large mudguard attached to the nose landing gear.

22. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Was it because Alaska was a former russian territory?
    More seriously: yes I think that the main reason for the mudguards on russian/soviet airplanes is in fact snow / mud.

Rgds