Growing up around Dallas NAS, 80s to Early 90s | FerrariChat

Growing up around Dallas NAS, 80s to Early 90s

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by FarmerDave, Mar 20, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    #1 FarmerDave, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I went to elementary school/Jr high about a mile from the Dallas Naval Air Station (Grand Prairie.). About half the kids I went to school with had parents that worked at LTV/Vought. All manner of military aircraft were in the air, just about every day. Helicopters, fighter jets, cargo planes. The teachers would, without skipping a beat, just pause their lesson patiently for 20 seconds if an aircraft was flying exceptionally low. I was the kid at soccer practice who caught a ball right in the face, because I was looking up at a plane. Once, NASA's 747 Shuttle carrier flew low and slow over the school playground, unforgettable! And every year, the Blue Angels and Thunderbirds would make a stop through town. There was an F-16 that crashed into Mountain Creek Lake, where my dad taught me to fish. I realize later in life it was less Lake than power plant cooling reservoir, and always had steam rising from the water, but not where we fished of course. I do remember being told never to eat anything out of that lake, not that the fish were big enough anyway.

We came across this picture over the weekend, which I estimate to be about 1990. The memories flooded back.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    I decided to google that F-16 crash... I don't know if there were multiple crashes but this might have been what I remembered...

3. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

#3 Tcar, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    It's Ling-Temco-Vought. the V stands for Vought. LT Vought maybe? (Not LTV/Vought)

Had a relative that worked at Vought.
    His father worked for Vought when they designed/built the WWII Corsair. Later he worked on the Crusader.

Was involved in Vought when James Ling took over Chance Vought in a hostile takeover.

I had similar experiences growing up next to Kirtland AFB in Albuquerque.

:)

4. FarmerDave

Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    I remember (as a kid) the sign out front of the Grand Prairie plant changing from Vought to LTV, or vice versa maybe. Maybe it went full circle. That's what I meant when I said "LTV/Vought" :)