Cessna 210 loses wing mid-air | FerrariChat

Cessna 210 loses wing mid-air

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by toggie, Mar 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    #1 toggie, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    A Cessna 210 lost its wing and came apart mid-air on a flight home when it hit a "band of wind".
    Sounds like a squall line was coming through and the guy flew his family into it.
    All four people aboard were killed.

Crenshaw family die in Cessna crash amid Disney World*trip | Daily Mail Online

Tennessee bank executive, his wife and their two children, aged 14 and 16, die in a plane crash on their way back from a spring break holiday at Disney World.

A couple and their children, a 16-year-old boy and a girl, 14, died Saturday.
    Their Cessna 210 was flying from Kissimmee, Florida to Jackson, Tennessee.
    The plane crashed near Hayden, Alabama after sending out a mayday signal.

The victims have now been identified as the Crenshaw family from Tennessee.
    Joseph Crenshaw was a senior executive at First Tennessee Bank.

A bank executive, his wife and their two teenage children were killed in a small plane crash while flying back to their home in Tennessee after a spring break holiday at Disney World.
    Joseph Crenshaw, 45, his wife Jennifer, 43, their son Jacob, 16, and daughter Jillian, 14, died when their Cessna 210 'came apart' in the air over Alabama on Saturday.

Witnesses on the ground said the plane's wings came off mid-air in high winds before a shower of debris fell from the sky.
    The plane took off from Kissimmee, Florida, and was traveling to Jackson, Tennessee, where the Crenshaws lived.

A family statement to ABC News said: 'The relatives are grief stricken and are in shock.
    They are a prominent family in Jackson, Tennessee, with roots that go back to the Revolutionary War.'

Air traffic controllers lost contact with the plane around 2:30pm on Saturday.
    Minutes later, a 'may day' call was received at 2:34pm, which was around the same time a band of wind came through the area.

The plane crashed shortly near a Dollar General store in Hayden, Alabama.
    Brittany Reno told WKRN she saw the plane come down on Highway 160: 'It spun around and took a nose dive down.
    The wing came down over us, the wind carried it over into the field.'

The plane's door was found by neighbors in the woods.
    Charles Cullwell says he found parts of the plane after it landed on his property.
    He told WKRN: 'It is a mess, it's a rubble of tin, and you cannot tell it's a plane.'

Assistant Fire Chief Kyle Ellison from West Blount County Fire said the Federal Aviation Administration and National Transportation Safety Board were investigating the cause of the crash.

The FAA is investigating flight logs as it tries to piece together what went wrong.
    Records show that the plane was registered to a Jackson-based business consultancy company, Rheiorg Consulting LLC, which was owned by Mr Crenshaw.

Mr Crenshaw was also a regional director, vice president and senior financial advisor at First Tennessee Bank.
    He is the youngest son of Dr Tom Crenshaw of Gibson County, while his wife is the daughter of David Nance of Madison County.

Both of the Crenshaw children attended the University School of Jackson, a private school where tuition was $10,373 a year for children of their ages.
    Following the tragedy, the school issued a statement and said that counselors would be available to grieving students.

2. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    Note that the article doesn't say if the plane's wing came off due to flying into the weather or if it came off after the plane lost control and exceeded max speed and/or stress on the airframe.

In the POH, the Maneuvering Speed for a Cessna 210 is 119 knots, so let's hope the pilot had slowed the plane down to that before getting into heavy turbulence.

3. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    I wonder if that 210 was subject to the spar AD, and whether it had been done.

4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Very sad. There was a line of thunderstorms in the vicinity. Remarkably similar to Scott Crossfield's 210 accident.

5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Checking on Wikipedia there was a spar carry through mod due to corrosion in an Australian engineering firm. Seems odd that this could happen to a more contemporary airplane. Flying into a storm line wouldn't be too advisable either with the possibility of wind shear and just plain turbulence. Not an expert on this sort of thing but remember warnings when I was flying in Florida and having the evidence when a couple of airplanes were torn apart when flying into thunderstorms.

6. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Kathryn's Report: Cessna T210L Turbo Centurion, Rheiorg Consulting LLC, N6563D: Fatal accident occurred March 25, 2017 in Hayden, Blount County, Alabama

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
    These are the accidents that are the most sad. Young families that perish for no good reason.
    It looks like weather was the main factor in this tragedy, and the pilots decision to fly through that storm front.
    Prayers to the family and friends.
    Tuesday, March 28, 2017 at 4:58:00 PM EDT
    Anonymous said...
    A VFR pilot trying to fly through a squall line...so sad...
    Wednesday, March 29, 2017 at 3:33:00 PM EDT
    Anonymous said...
    Not sure I would call suicide an "accident". There is nothing accidental about knowingly killing oneself and one's family.
    That, IMO, makes these pointless deaths even sadder.
    It just gets to show that you can't buy good ADM, no matter how rich you are.
    R.I.P.

Thursday, March 30, 2017 at 1:23:00 PM EDT
    Edward A Chipps DDS said...
    Such a tragedy. When I see that beautiful photo of the Crenshaw family it makes me want to hug my own family and never let go.
    Every time this happens I make an effort to learn from the tragic mistakes of others as I put my precious family in my own aircraft.
    If just one pilot learns from this, they will not have died in vain.
    God bless the Crenshaws, their family, and their community.

Ted Chipps
    Marietta Ga
    N498EC

Friday, March 31, 2017 at 3:05:00 PM EDT
    gretnabear said...
    Joseph was a "Instrument-Rated Pilot" and "Ginger was a Certified Private Pilot" - See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/jacksonsun/obituary.aspx?pid=184738974#sthash.vlXALyN4.dpuf

7. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    The unfortunate lesson from this is, don't penetrate a line of thunderstorms. Wherever you are going, it's really not that important.

8. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Correct.

"I have to get there", is one of the most dangerous things a pilot can say/think.

9. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Flying multimillion dollar fighters: From the F-16 Dash-1...

Warning: Do not fly in thunderstorms.

If I couldn't do it with 3000 hours of single seat, single engine fighter time, why should anyone else?

10. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Because that is their mission?
    Hurricane Hunters Association

11. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
  12. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Would this have been less likely to happen with an early, strutted-wing, 210?

13. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I believe Crossfields plane was strutted (C-210A)

14. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

T210L?

15. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    210A

16. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    With the same predictable results. Flight-plan was Sebring to Clemson for solo pilot in a small single-engine plane. Collided with a storm front outside of Gainesville.

17. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

18. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    That link seems to give a different N-number than other reports

Scott Crossfield Crash: NTSB Early Report - AVweb Features Article
    See the pic in this link as well which shows a Crossfield standing in front of a strutted airplane.

19. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #20 Juan-Manuel Fantango, Apr 6, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
    Yep, we're in Daytona for www.fca2017.org experiencing some of the storms. Also from Clemson and had seen the plane and I'm sure met the pilot. He was very experienced, so know one knows why he did this as several from the same area landed to wait out the storms. He had been gone a week to take a rotex class and wanted to get home. One of the other flyers said he entered the front and within 3 seconds had been pushed up over 2000 feet according to one of our guys. Plane broke up. We thought he might have a chute but even so it may have been of no use. I hope the Gs blacked him out so he knew nothing.

Kathryn's Report: Pipistrel Virus SW, N155CL: Fatal accident occurred April 04, 2017 in Micanopy, Florida

From the comment section:

Another mindless careless clown, in a LSA yet, u can only expect to see the accident rate increase in ga aircraft

FAA registry says Mr. Stevens was an ATP with all kinds of type-ratings and privileges - obviously a very experienced aviator. I wouldn't call him a "mindless careless clown" like the comment above - but I seriously have to wonder what was he thinking flying an experimental aircraft like this into this type of weather...

"A Mindless Clown" an anonymous poster posted. This man probably delivered a Million Passengers safely during his 30 year career as a professional pilot. Additionally he was a Veteran that served our country. I really wish we would do away with the anonymous post option. God's Speed Mr Stevens. I may have once been one of your safely delivered passengers.

20. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Well, we are talking about 2 different accidents.

I'm referencing the plane/accident featured in this thread. (T210L)

You're on a tangent, talking about Scott's plane and crash... (210A)