I got 8 of 15 | FerrariChat

I got 8 of 15

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by msdesignltd, Mar 28, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    I quit after 30.

2. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    I got 19/20, then proceeded to miss 5-6 in a row, got one, then missed a couple more and gave up.

Mark

3. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I got 47 out of 48 and was careless on the one that I missed.

4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

It got tricky around that point. I got about 80%.
    If you know your markings, that really helps on some of the more obscure planes.
    T

5. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Which one did you miss, sir, if I might enquire?
    T

6. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Yep. Finnish AF, Free French, Italian, etc.

Got one purely because the museum sign hanging above it was in English.

Would have gotten about 20 if it wasn't multiple choice.

7. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    #8 Bob Parks, Mar 28, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
    It was one of the obscure Italian planes if I remember. One tough one was a Finnish fighter that I didn't recognize but I recognized the hooked cross insignia on the wings that was the Finn's national insignia before the Nazi's borrowed it and tilted it. I go through it again to verify the one that I missed. I was rong, I missed the French Arsenal.

8. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I thought the # of WW2 biplanes they had in the quiz was interesting. I can only recall ever seeing a Swordfish among the many documentaries I've watched...T

9. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    40 out of 48

It helps if you look at the roundels. Some designers use the same key unique features.

It was a lot of fun. I will pass that along to some retired pilots.

10. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    The Fairy Swordfish was obsolete long before the War started and took many brave crew members to their demise. But it sank several battleships in spite of it's archaic deign, the most prominent was the Bismarck, even though it didn't sink it directly, it damaged it so that the British fleet could finish it off. A handsome old airplane.

11. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt

Yep , besides the spitfire and zero I would not know any of these. Knowing the country markings you can pretty much deduce the answer. I got to 14 before making an error.

12. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I agree, I don't squat about aircraft and did pretty well knowing markings and some names obviously don't fit.

13. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    41 out of 48

Come on Bob fess up you missed the Boeing P-26 :D

14. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Gosh, that's one I can't place. Is that the cute little biplane? Anyway, Boeing doesn't build anything but bombers, don't they?

15. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well Bob, you said you missed the Arsenal, and as a Frenchman, I fully forgive that: not many people would have known here either. Even if the VG-33 was a great "what if": too little, too late...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arsenal_VG-33

Rgds

16. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    A very eclectic bunch of airplanes. I got 44 only because I guessed well a few times.

17. cava

cava Karting

Apr 10, 2005
    Full Name:
    Cava
    I know absolutely nothing about aeroplanes, but still managed to get 24 out of 48.

It was fun.

18. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

#19 Tcar, Mar 30, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  19. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    #20 Bob Parks, Mar 30, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    I love this airplane.

I spoke to a pilot who was attached to the 19th P.S., at Hickam Field. Just after 07 December 1941, the 19th had to pull the P-26's out of the crate to fly CAP.

He would later become the D.O. for the 506th T.F.W. F-100D - Tinker AFB during the late 50's.

In 'less' than 20 years, he went from the P-26 to a Hun :D.

21. nzporsche944s2

Jul 12, 2012
    38 out of 48

That was fun! Thanks for posting!

22. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I got a decent score just by matching markings and language in the name.. I was pleased to actually recognise some non-mainstream ones.. but who knew the French made any fighters ;)

Seemed to go on indefinitely.. I stopped at high 30's..

23. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The French had one of the world's largest fighter forces in 1940.

"Total strength of the French Air Force together with Aviation Colonaile: 1,200 fighters, 800 reconnaissance planes, 1,300 bombers." Estimates of RAF modern aircraft in Sep 1939 was about 1750 out of 3500 total in operational squadrons.

24. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    The truth is that the Armée de l'Air had too many types of different fighters, none of which was truly satisfactory...

The most numerous was the Morane 406, very manoeuvrable but too slow and suffering from freezing of its guns at altitude.

The most efficient was the "H-75", or Curtiss P-36 to its country of origin; slightly suffering from a top speed perspective and lightly armed, but manoeuvrable, sturdy, very reliable (its Pratt & Whitney engine was worshiped by the french mechanics). Its only drawback was in fact its price (twice of the Morane), but it was indeed the best: during the "Phoney war" ("Drôle de guerre") "H-75" squadron were standing watch in the most treatened region of France (north-east)

The most promising was the Dewoitine 520, which had all the performance needed tyo counter the Messerschmitt 109, but was too late in production (and was considered tricky to master, with a tendancy to flick over)

The "Arsenal VG 33" referenced above could have made a very good fighter but the first production models reached the squadrons too late.

The Bloch 152 could have made an useful bomber interceptor with its heavy armament.

Then you had the Caudron-Renault 714 light fighter, which was indeed...too light: lightly armed, insufficent horsepower...

And a hotch-potch collection of different types, some imported such as the Koolhoven, etc...

In fact, the true real problem of the French aviation industry at the time of the second world war was the lack of a powerful engine, and the obligation to standardize on the Hispano V-12, which was rather inefficient.
    And it would have been better to have standardized the industry on the production of one or two different types at most; unfortunately, the aviation industry was dispersed in too many small companies, all fighting each other to secure an order when there was a "Request for Proposal".

But despite this, the "Armée de l'Air" scored a high number of victories during the "Campagne de France", notably the "H-75" squadrons, and some D-520 pilots.

Rgds