copter flying lessons | FerrariChat

copter flying lessons

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by eastwest7, Mar 30, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. eastwest7

eastwest7 Karting

Oct 1, 2014
    roseville,ca
    Can someone give me an idea of the overall cost of lessons for flying helicopters? Im located in nor cal.

2. bbs911

bbs911 Formula Junior

May 31, 2007
    Dallas
    In Dallas, there's a school that estimates their "typical" student with no experience will take about $17,725 to get their private. Factor in an extra 20% for being in Cali and I bet you're close.

3. Patrick21x

Patrick21x Karting

Apr 11, 2014
    Orange County
    #3 Patrick21x, Mar 30, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    Two things to factor in, Hourly rate of copter rental which average $350-500 per hour. Then instructor Hourly $75-150 per hour. Min hours needed will be 40 with the average person taking approx 60 hours to get their licence. I would budget $30k in CA for Flight Training and ground schooling. Consider Buying a used Robinson and hiring a Private instructor. Biggest expense is the Helicopter rental.

Make sure this is what you really want to do. I am a private fixed wing pilot and had been working on my Rotary Add on. What I learned is that you have to be committed and fly every week to stay proficient and safe in my opinion. Its not like in my plane I can go a month or two, jump right in and be right back at it. IN a Heli, your moving and thinking 99% of the time. When S*&% goes wrong you got one chance at saving it. To keep on your toes, you really should be flying weekly. I would not tke my family and friends up in a Heli if I hadnt been flying every week and was not feeling 100% confident. In the plane, I can go a month or so, jump right in with Family and friends and go somewhere. Planes are much easier and more forgiving with a little wider envelope to recover from errors. Helis you better know what the heck your doing and be prepared.

I will tell you this, Helis are an absolute blast and wayyyyyyy More fun than a fixed wing. Much more rewarding and a much better flight experience. If you have the time and are committed to flying all the time, then dont hesitate to do it. Go all in, buy a 4 seat Robinson and have a blast :)

4. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    A short time ago a guy told me that if you own a 1/2 ton pickup, fill the box full of money before you go to a school.

5. eastwest7

eastwest7 Karting

Oct 1, 2014
    roseville,ca
    Thanks for the info

6. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #6 Wade, Mar 31, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Reality-based description right there, thanks.

Helicopter flight training was one of those dream "to-dos" for me, but I waited too long (random vertigo/inner-ear problems now).

Bristow has a school just up the road from where I live:

Bristow Academy ? Helicopter Flight Training School - bristowgroup.com

https://www.facebook.com/Bristow-Academy-Inc-179400105430593/

Brevard home to international helicopter training HQ
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    My son just finished his PPL in 44 Hours and at just under 17K in Texas. So above estimates seem about right nationally, but Cali likely more. Just because.

8. sigar

sigar F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2005
    NorCal
    eastwest7,
    Please keep this thread updated on what you find. I've also been toying with the idea. I'm most interested in finding a well qualified and reasonably priced instructor in the area. I would likely buy an R22 for training.

9. eastwest7

eastwest7 Karting

Oct 1, 2014
    roseville,ca
    I've been interested in this for awhile. Its been hard to go all in because it does sound like it takes a lot of time and dedication. Im not sure if I can take that on right now. Oh and $$$. If its something that I could make a career out of that would probably push me over the edge but thats a whole other ball game. Whats the demand for pilots in the work force?

10. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Join the Army National Guard.

11. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    How much would a 4 seat Robinson cost to buy and to maintain?

Matt

12. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al

US Army paid for my rotorcraft instrument rating. Correction. US taxpayers paid for it.
    Not a bad deal at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Go to YouTube and view some of the eaa micrcopters people are building for 50k$. They look amazing. Plenty to scratch the itch if you just want to fly local...

14. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    "If I could turn back time..."

15. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    That depends on several factors, but probably most heavily on geography.
    Along the gulf coast, there's a demand for oil rig support.
    Big cities like New York there's executive transport
    Logging and industrial are two niche areas.
    Law enforcement (usually with prerequisites)
    EMT
    Sports/News/Media

When I looked at getting out of the service several years ago, Sports/News jobs were paying about $20/hr., EMT about $37K/yr. Of course, that was in San Diego which was a very competitive market. There were always guys getting out of the military and able to augment their salaries with reserve pay. At that time, in order to get higher salries, several squadron mates went to the Midwest to fly for logging companies, the oil industry, or commercial (think delivering big AC units on top of high rise buildings.

I chose to stay in. Flew less hours, but made lots more money and had WAY more fun.

I'd say to anyone who's considering flying helos for a profession: do it because you absolutely love flying. If you don't, or you're worried about the money, you're probably better off choosing something else to do.

16. eastwest7

eastwest7 Karting

Oct 1, 2014
    roseville,ca
    +1. Id be Air Force bound.

17. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    At the time I couldn't afford the college. AF Helo pilots were mostly Officers. But enlisted folks, if qualified, could get the training to fly choppers.

18. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    Enlist. Get paid. Kick Ass. The four to six years you'll be in, is way less time and money than you will pay to be "half-fast", and you will be a professional worth hiring. Ninety-nine percent of the pilots we use in the motion picture industry are U.S. Vets. And the are the ONLY ones that I ever trusted during my career as a camera operator. Confidence in your pilot is absolutely everything. One has to know that he's been there, got the T-shirt. I hope that this helps. Jq.

19. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    I meant Enlisted for the Army could fly helicopters.

Great endorsement!

20. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    #20 ylshih, Apr 1, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
    Trade-a-Plane has them listed from $100K to $500K, depending on model, age and operating hours.

https://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?make=ROBINSON&model_group=ROBINSON+R44+SERIES&s-type=aircraft

Robinson apparently has a hard 2200 hour or 12 year aircraft overhaul requirement, with some people estimating a cost of $100 per hour in the operating cost budget. That implies roughly $220,000 of the cost variance is proportional to operating hours.

21. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    And I thought 355 ownership was expensive...

22. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    The 12 year time requirement means that the R44 costs at least $18,300 per year just sitting in the hangar. So personal ownership is probably not a financial savings, unless you're 1) planning to fly at least 3-4 hours per week, or 2) also willing to put it on leaseback so as operate it at least 183 hours per year.

23. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Luke, they're like yachts, only more so.

24. sigar

sigar F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2005
    NorCal
    Good info. Thanks, Yin.

25. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al

Wade is correct. I was a Warrant Officer. Appointed by Congress as opposed to Commissioned. Warrant Officers have no troop command, only flying duties. Commissioned officers eventually wind up flying a desk.

When I got out, I used the GI Bill to get a few college degrees, then accepted by United to fly jets (only needed 500 hours of turbine time). I turned down the offer with UAL because it'd be like driving a bus, relocating, and I could make more $$$ doing something else. And fly on my own dime.

The Warrant Officer flight training is intense - over half my class washed out. You get E-5 pay while in flight school. I'd do it all over again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk