Two small planes collide mid-air in Florida - no survivors | FerrariChat

Two small planes collide mid-air in Florida - no survivors

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by toggie, Apr 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    #1 toggie, Apr 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    They were flying in formation with other planes.
    Both pilots killed.

Pilots of 2 small planes dead in mid-air collision in Central Florida | Fox News

Pilots of 2 small planes dead in mid-air collision in Central Florida.

The pilots of two small planes were killed Saturday in a mid-air collision near I-95 in Central Florida, according to reports.

“What I can tell you is a witness reported seeing two small airplanes collide, separate and fall to the ground,” Edgewater Police Chief David Arciero told the Daytona Beach News-Journal.

The crash site was in the vicinity of State Road 442 near Interstate 95 in Edgewater, Fox 35 Orlando reported. Emergency crews responded around 8:45 a.m.

Megan O’Keefe, of Edgewater, told the News-Journal she saw the collision. She said the two planes were flying in formation with several other planes at the time.

“We were in the woods, trying to find smoke but it was too far,” O’Keefe said.

Another witness told the paper, “They were flying in formation. The front had an issue. The plane started falling. One wing went into the other (plane). It went into a spin. And the other one fell backwards.”

Fox 35 reported that investigators with the NTSB were at the scene.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    One high wing and one low wing for the worst combination of blind spots when the low wing is higher.

3. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Yes, Terry. Been there done that but luckily got away with it. Almost think that weaving in the air is as important as when on the ground. I know of several crashes , one I saw, where the blind spot of the lower wing and the upper wing caused a fatal incident. Both due to ignoring the rules of pattern etiquette.

4. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Sounded like one plane 'lost' control for whatever reason and struck the other plane.
    Did not say which was which.

5. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    A witness who asked not to be identified said one of the planes started falling out of the sky and then its wing struck the other plane.

“It went into a spin and the other one fell backwards,” he said.

Megan O’Keefe, who was traveling south on I-95, said she and her family saw the crash from their car.

“All of a sudden I looked and one plane just went into a nosedive,” she said.

Her family pulled off the highway and tried to find the crash victims.

“We were in the woods, trying to find smoke but it was too far,” she said.

What looked to be a red antique biplane circled over the crash site until rescue crews could arrive, O’Keefe said.

“He wouldn’t leave until they could get to his buddies,” she said. “It was really sad.”

The FAA said it was investigating the crash in conjunction with the NTSB, which will determine the official cause.

6. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    I find the comments interesting from Kathryn's Report, almost always someone knows the folks that crashed and can shed some light. Flying in formation and high time airline pilots?

Spruce Creeks had a bad run lately with at least three crashes out of there, and a number of fatalities. We had planed on flying down there and renting the former Lear Jet house for www.fca2017.org but my pilot wanted to stay on the beach.

Anonymous said...
    The location is very close to the interstate.
    Saturday, April 1, 2017 at 6:48:00 PM EDT

Anonymous said...
    Does the FAA require an endorsement to fly formation?
    Saturday, April 1, 2017 at 7:29:00 PM EDT

Anonymous said...
    The first part of the Grumman's tail number is visible in one of the pictures; hard to see because it is upside down. N42...
    Saturday, April 1, 2017 at 8:12:00 PM EDT

Anonymous said...
    Were they there for Sun and Fun week?
    Saturday, April 1, 2017 at 9:03:00 PM EDT

Anonymous said...
    It was a gaggle flight from 7FL6. They were locals from Spruce Creek. Both of them who died were high time Airline pilots. The 170 pilot was a friend of mine.
    Saturday, April 1, 2017 at 10:25:00 PM EDT

Tragedy said...
    In these times of loss, we should be reminded that life is precious and each day is a gift. Tell those you love how you feel every day and live each day like it is your last.
    Saturday, April 1, 2017 at 10:49:00 PM EDT

Tom Olson said...
    You have the wrong Grumman id....It is N425AE.....It was my sisters plane

7. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Just noticed this post.

We went up to Port Orange on 4/1 to stay with my parents, they live immediately east of the Fly In. On the way up I-95 we got to see a bunch of aerobatics from the Melbourne Air Show. It was the Patrouille de France and they were doing some amazing formation flying and acrobatics. We had quite the show for about 10 minutes. I'd definitely pay to see a full show of theirs, they looked amazing from the highway.

When we got to my parents Dad was saying some acrobats collided and crashed, I assumed it was the air show. The next day he told me it was a couple guys from the Fly In. The Fly In has had a terrible run of accidents recently. Having been familiar with it from the mid 80's I can tell you the residents there can be pretty pretentious and downright snotty at times. A lot of big attitudes lead to a lot of risk.

All that said I don't know the people in this crash or if they were as pretentious as some of the residents I have encountered there but it is very sad.