'Dud' Airliners site... FWIW | FerrariChat

'Dud' Airliners site... FWIW

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Tcar, Apr 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

https://leehamnews.com/2014/12/23/worlds-dud-airliners/

Includes the Martin 2-0-2, which evolved into the 4-0-4 which I remember:
    TWA flew them at Albuquerque when I was a kid (mid '50s).
    One of them took off in the morning and flew straight into the Sandia Mountains East of the airport, on a short flight to Santa Fe.

A neighbor of ours was on the plane and she was killed, so it was a big deal.

Today, if you take the Tram up to Sandia Peak from ABQ, you can see the wreckage in a canyon below, over 50 years later.

2. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Is it just me, or did the Martin 404s have a very unique (one-of-a-kind) engine sound?

3. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    You might be thinking about the Convair 240 that had the long ejector exhaust pipes that trumpeted out of the aft end of the nacelles.

4. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Bob, there's a great pic of that under Wikipedia "Convair 240"... look at pic of Swiss Air Lines Convair aircraft.

The double wasp was not unique... was used on 30 or 40 different fighters, cargo planes and airliners in WWII and the 50's. Hellcat, Corsair, Jug, Martin 4-0-4, DC-6, etc., etc. ...and even Sikorsky helicopters.

5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I was referring to the method of extracting the heat to cool the engines. The nacelle didn't have cowl flaps . The exhaust pipes were enclosed in a duct that pulled engine heat out by virtue of the "venturi" action. The exhaust pipes were terminated inside the ducts not at the end and acted to accelerate the air from the engine cowl.

6. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

OK, I see that they don't have cowl flaps... hadn't noticed that.

EDIT: OK, I see.. go to about 5:08 in this video. It's a 340 I think, but it's what you are talking about.

It is a different sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1NZpks2FTk

7. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I think that the Aero Commander, Beech early twin, and C-310 tried this type of exhaust also. Produced a growling trumpeting sound.

8. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Robert Serling had a long chapter on this crash in his excellent book "The Probable Cause". The crash, which took place in poor visibility, was originally blamed on the pilots, but the ALPA was able to persuade the CAB that a faulty fluxgate compass was more likely, and the CAB changed the probable cause to "unknown".

9. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Yes, you are correct, I just read some more info...

That plane had had fluxgate compass problems listed prior, but maintenance could not duplicate the issue on the ground, so released it for service.